Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
It's at least 50,000 over the last couple of decades according to most surveys I have seen. This migration has been happening for a long time, its hardly new. It would be happening even if Illinois wasn't a huge basket-case, due to it being the area with the most develop-able land nearest to downtown Chicago. Suburbanization hasn't slowed, no matter how many news articles say it has. I wouldn't be surprised if larger suburban development starts to happen in Newton County in less then twenty years or so, as southern Lake and Porter counties fills in.
Although I see your point, I doubt that even northern Newton County becomes very developed. The main draw of Northwest Indiana is the close proximity to Chicago, and to a lesser degree, Lake Michigan. For jobs at least, I think people have a certain cutoff as to what becomes too far, and I think Newton County would be too far away from Chicago to see much more growth and development. As I'm sure you know, there's still a decent amount of land to develop in St. John, southern unincorporated Dyer, and Cedar Lake that I would forsee getting developed well before Newton County.

However, with that said, an extention of the South Shore to Dyer, or Lowell, could change a lot. If that actually did happen, then your prediction may not be so far off, as people could shoot right up 41 to the train station then take it up to Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,099 times
The only other county where I could see any "suburbanization" is in northwest Jasper county (more specifically, Demotte). If Crown Point becomes a MAJOR (and I mean more major than Gary) employment hub, then not only would Crown Point grow, but possibly Demotte as well...as for Newton County, ehhhh I don't know. Crown Point, Cedar Lake, and Lowell (especially Lowell) have a long ways to grow before any part of Newton or Jasper County sees more development.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:12 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,116 times
I have driven into crown point many times and there seems to be an adequate amount of raw undeveloped land all over the place.

Dyer, St. John just picture traveling south on us 41 south of st. john its all undeveloped land

The other point is valid its proximity to Chicago is very far when you start getting into Newton county.

I have not spent any time ever in Newton county but I would imagine its very rural in character

Old 07-09-2011, 06:49 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
I'm also amazed at the long stretch of nothingness that is between Valpo and Merrillville.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'm also amazed at the long stretch of nothingness that is between Valpo and Merrillville.
Very true besides a water park and a few gas stations very little on route 30 between mville and valpo-reminds me of just wes t of joliet on 80 vast nothingness unless you get off the main road and then you can find some nice parks and such at both locals

now that i think about it the vast nothingness isnt bad and at times i have driven those roads and seen some nice sunsets and in the fall time the harvest with the combines is kind of a cool sight.

the midwest in general to me is hard to beat
no mountains , no ocean, not any hills to speak of
but a serene green in the summer that is very hard to duplicate against the blue sky and white clouds

Old 07-09-2011, 12:36 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
Personally, I like the "nothingness" too, if you can call it that. When I see an attractive natural landscape with a sign that says "250 acres for sale" I'm almost glad home sales are down and developers aren't doing much (Yeah, I know, I know. The trades have to get back to work, it's very true, but I can't help that gut reaction.)

Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 PM

64 posts, read 138,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy from nowhere. View Post
I keep reading articles about how Illinois and Chicago are experiancing a population Exodus due to the high tax climate of Illinois. Heck they just passed a new Income Tax increase. Has anyone noticed how fast the pace is for new housing development in Lake County and Porter County? Does anyone have any family members that moved from Illinois to Indiana due to the high taxes?
That's been going on for at least 20 years. I think Lake is getting overbuilt, not so much in Porter. Busting up farms for one-acre plots is getting old. Most in my area have at least 5 acres. We didn't move from there to here on account of taxes, but rather family members that needed care. I grew up here, so this is home.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:00 PM

64 posts, read 138,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I have not spent any time ever in Newton county but I would imagine its very rural in character
Newton and Jasper still have a lot farms growing everything we need to eat.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by induchman View Post
That's been going on for at least 20 years. I think Lake is getting overbuilt, not so much in Porter. Busting up farms for one-acre plots is getting old. Most in my area have at least 5 acres. We didn't move from there to here on account of taxes, but rather family members that needed care. I grew up here, so this is home.
Yeah all the people who got foreclosed on are moving into indiana and joining the welfare ranks of that fine state

Old 07-15-2011, 08:29 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Yeah all the people who got foreclosed on are moving into indiana and joining the welfare ranks of that fine state
Let me guess, you got laid off from your $14/hr job today and you decided to drink a 12 pack of PBR and vent on some message boards to people you don't know to take out the frustration? Sorry bro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana