Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM

62 posts, read 176,128 times

Advertisements

Family and I have long wanted to live in Chicago, and I have a job opportunity in Merrillville IN. Are there any towns that permit easy access to both? I don't know much about IN, but I anticipate wanting to be in Chicago for most if not all of our leisure activities. Looking for top notch schools, good suburban community. $400K-ish budget for a 4BR house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,088,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_trackstar View Post
Family and I have long wanted to live in Chicago, and I have a job opportunity in Merrillville IN. Are there any towns that permit easy access to both? I don't know much about IN, but I anticipate wanting to be in Chicago for most if not all of our leisure activities. Looking for top notch schools, good suburban community. $400K-ish budget for a 4BR house.
If you want top-notch schools, do not consider residing in Merrillville! You can get a lot of bang for your buck, along with good school sytems, in Schererville, Dyer, St. John and perhaps Munster, IN. You can be in Chicago's Loop in less than an hour. There are some very good private schools to choose from in this area as well.

CT, I'm sure a few people much more knowledgeable than I about real estate will pop in with some suggestions. I'm sure you can find a good community, with good schools, in a location which is convenient to your job in Merrillville and to Chicago for your other activities. $400K buys a real nice home around here.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:44 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,498,699 times
As far as NWI goes, without a doubt, Munster should be your best bet. In your price range, you will be able to find a decent home in Munster. Now, it probably won't be a brand spanking new home, but you should have little problem finding a nice size home within that range. Older homes within that range tend to give you more square footage as well...The commute to Merrillville (depending on where in that town it is) could be anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes also depending on traffic. But the convenience to Chicago as well as the excellent schools and community amenities is top notch and the combination cannot be beat.

As PJ8 stated, the other communities listed will offer both great homes and educational systems. You will get more (and perhaps newer) house for your money in Schererville, Dyer, and Saint John. Dyer and the northwest part of Schererville offer the next best in convenience to Chicago.

Another option is Crown Point. That town has very good schools as well and is a growing area too. It will also give you the most house for your money and brand new homes are the most affordable out of the towns mentioned. It will most likely also put you the closest to work in Merrillville. However, you have to make sure that the home in Crown Point is in CENTER TOWNSHIP in order to be in Crown Point schools. If you are in Ross Township, you will be in Merrillville schools which are not so good. Another thing is that although this town is along I-65, it is the furthest from Chicago and the amenities offered. If you need anymore help, please let us know! Glad to help!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM

17,460 posts, read 14,691,657 times
I saw your post in the Chgo section - just an FYI, the schools in the towns suggested in the Chicago suburbs, as with most of the Chicagoland Southland, are subpar at best.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 PM

811 posts, read 2,339,934 times
If you're looking to be within an hour of Chicago and schools that are well above average, Munster, Dyer, Schererville, or St John are basically your options. If you want to be slightly closer to Chicago, go with Munster. If you want to be closer to your job, Schererville might be a better option. Or you could split the difference and go with Dyer. All are great towns, good luck with your search!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:45 PM

64 posts, read 138,513 times
Newbie on City-Data, but I've lived in NWI most of my life. The simple answer is live in Crown Point where the schools are great and drive is short. Munster is another very good choice, but the drive can be tedious. $400k will get you a very nice home in either location. Oth, I did live on the southside of Chicago for many years, before moving on. In the 70's and 80's it was a great place to live - not so today. I almost never drive the 35 miles to visit friends, they come to visit us instead. They enjoy the peace and quiet - not having to hear police and CFD sirens all the time.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM

801 posts, read 2,568,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I saw your post in the Chgo section - just an FYI, the schools in the towns suggested in the Chicago suburbs, as with most of the Chicagoland Southland, are subpar at best.
I agree with this, and with the recommendation for Munster. From Munster its a very easy drive to Merrillville (there is traffic, but this is not "Chicago traffic") and it will be convenient for you to get to the city regularly.

For your situation, Munster is probably a better choice than Illinois.

Northern suburban Illinois communities are great -- but I don't think I would choose any of the south or southwest suburban communities to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana