Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 AM

27 posts, read 81,817 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have recently been transferred to Blue Island and am trying to figure out a workable living situation. I made a post recently about commuting to Blue Island from Michigan City so my boyfriend and I could live together for expense sharing purposes but we've decided that the commute would be too much. I found a property in Munster that seems like a great deal rent-wise but I don't know anything about Munster and haven't seen much about it in my brief searchings of this forum. Is it a pretty safe city? Is there any problems with break ins or vandalism? Do people frequently visit Chicago from there and what's the best route? From google maps it looks like there's nothing train-wise going in or coming out of Munster. What is there to do in Munster (dining, bars, shopping, movies...etc)?
I appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
Default Glad to Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTango View Post
Hello,
I have recently been transferred to Blue Island and am trying to figure out a workable living situation. I made a post recently about commuting to Blue Island from Michigan City so my boyfriend and I could live together for expense sharing purposes but we've decided that the commute would be too much. I found a property in Munster that seems like a great deal rent-wise but I don't know anything about Munster and haven't seen much about it in my brief searchings of this forum. Is it a pretty safe city? Is there any problems with break ins or vandalism? Do people frequently visit Chicago from there and what's the best route? From google maps it looks like there's nothing train-wise going in or coming out of Munster. What is there to do in Munster (dining, bars, shopping, movies...etc)?
I appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Thanks!
As far as break ins and vandalism, it is not "common" in that you are guaranteed to deal with that issue. However, use common sense and DO NOT leave valuables in your car overnight and/or car unlocked...even in a secured parking area...Overall, Munster remains a very very safe town and the police dept is very visible throughout town!

As far as frequently visiting Chicago, I would say that being that many residents have enough disposable income to enjoy the amenities offered by the city, yes, it is common for us to visit Chicago . For me, the best route is driving on the expressway via 80/94 to 94 and parking in a parking garage for the day...We usually carpool so it ends up being cheaper than taking the train...there is a train in East Chicago or Hammond that you can take, but then you are mostly dependent on that schedule. I do not mind taking the train, but until a south shore extension is built to Munster (which is a whole nother conversation), I'll mostly stick to driving!

Train wise, there is no commuter train going through Munster...yet! But there is rail going east-west dividing the town along 45th street and the intersections/roads crossing the rail accounts for probably half or more of the traffic in town. There is also another rail line that travels through Munster south-north until it meets with the other rail line (I am not familiar with the specific rail names) and this produces a lot of traffic as well as the Family Christian Center megachurch adjacent to it!

In Munster itself, there are a lot of family oriented activities to do as well as some restaurants (mostly locally owned). As the years go on, I find that the town is continually keeping the residents filled with activities to do which I appreciate! In terms of shopping, there is the basics (Target, Staples, Jewel Osco grocery, Walgreens, and MANY banks) but hopefully soon, we will see more upscale shopping come to the area to offer selections that we have never had before! If you want more shopping (Kohls, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Bed Bath & Beyond AKA typical suburbia shopping strips) then head east to Highland or southeast to Schererville (especially Schererville with two AMC theaters) as they lead the area in good commercial activity...There is a mall (Southlake Mall) about 25 to 30 minutes away in the Merrillville/Hobart area that (to me) is pretty mediocre...For better shopping, head west into Illinois to a place like Orland Park (about 35 minutes drive on I-80) or into west and northwest suburbs...or even downtown as well!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Munster is very safe. NWI is right about locking your car. That seems to be the most common crime in the region, as the overall safety of the area lulls people into a false sense that there's no need to take that simple precaution.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:08 AM

64 posts, read 138,344 times
Munster is one of safest towns in NWI - more so than Michigan City

Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 PM

27 posts, read 81,817 times
Thanks for all of your responses and assistance but nevermind I think I stumbled upon a scam. *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana