Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:07 PM

5 posts, read 12,636 times

Advertisements

My hubby just got his orders and we are Indiana bound. AND I"M FREAKING OUT ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm have been researching schools and places to live and everything I can think of. The biggest issue is my daughter is starting school and I want to get her into a really good school but we will need to rent for at least the first 6 months. Anyone know of any apartments or rental houses in the crichfield La porte area? Or anyone hiring because I'm also looking for work. Oh and good childcare. Oh and a good hair stylist because I'm pretty sure I will have pulled out most of my hair by the time we get up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:49 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGurl20022 View Post
My hubby just got his orders and we are Indiana bound. AND I"M FREAKING OUT ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm have been researching schools and places to live and everything I can think of. The biggest issue is my daughter is starting school and I want to get her into a really good school but we will need to rent for at least the first 6 months. Anyone know of any apartments or rental houses in the crichfield La porte area? Or anyone hiring because I'm also looking for work. Oh and good childcare. Oh and a good hair stylist because I'm pretty sure I will have pulled out most of my hair by the time we get up there.
Dont freak out heck we have a low cost of living compared to the national average. Taxes are low here too. Were friendly people and our nickname is Hoosiers. Calm down and enjoy the move to a new land also we have snow up here so your kids can build snowmen up here in the winter . IDK of any apartments though in the Laporte area sadly but im sure someone does

Old 07-27-2011, 02:16 PM

LOL Thanks!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:42 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Welcome to NWI, JGurl!

Is your husband's job in LaPorte?

I'd recommend Valparaiso or Chesterton. Valpo has excellent schools and childcare options. It's a half-hour drive to LaPorte. Depending on which part of LaPorte you're going to, and which part of Valpo you're coming from, it's a little longer. Housing is plentiful around here and taxes are lower in Porter County (Valpo and C'ton) than it is in LaPorte County (LaPorte and Westville). Chesterton is north of Valpo and closer to LaPorte, but Valpo is the place to go if you want the best public schools.

There are lots of threads already in this forum about schools and other info concerning the various NWI cities and towns. Sorry, but I'm rushed right now and don't have time to find them for you and provide links. But if you scroll around, you can find the other threads!

Good luck, and welcome to NWI!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Welcome to NWI, JGurl!

Is your husband's job in LaPorte?

I'd recommend Valparaiso or Chesterton. Valpo has excellent schools and childcare options. It's a half-hour drive to LaPorte. Depending on which part of LaPorte you're going to, and which part of Valpo you're coming from, it's a little longer. Housing is plentiful around here and taxes are lower in Porter County (Valpo and C'ton) than it is in LaPorte County (LaPorte and Westville). Chesterton is north of Valpo and closer to LaPorte, but Valpo is the place to go if you want the best public schools.

There are lots of threads already in this forum about schools and other info concerning the various NWI cities and towns. Sorry, but I'm rushed right now and don't have time to find them for you and provide links. But if you scroll around, you can find the other threads!

Good luck, and welcome to NWI!

Since they're moving from the South, that might be a long drive for them in the snow. Maybe when they're used to Winter weather ... until then I'd stay near LaPorte.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Since they're moving from the South, that might be a long drive for them in the snow. Maybe when they're used to Winter weather ... until then I'd stay near LaPorte.
You are right on that one I've never driven in the snow yet another point I'm freaked about.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGurl20022 View Post
You are right on that one I've never driven in the snow yet another point I'm freaked about.

You're right......It'll be an adventure. Sorry, I hadn't thought about winter weather conditions.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
You'll have to deal with it no matter where you live. laPorte is in one of the worst lake effect snow areas of the state ...

Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 PM

54 posts, read 135,414 times
That and no sweet tea to be found!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1251 View Post
That and no sweet tea to be found!
They'll have to go with homemade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana