Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times

Advertisements

I appreciate some first hand information about this HOA, community in general and commute to Chicago loop. ( I have been to the LOFS website.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:47 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,525,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I appreciate some first hand information about this HOA, community in general and commute to Chicago loop. ( I have been to the LOFS website.)

Are you moving there and want info on it? I assume the community your coming from is Barrington Illinois too?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 PM

815 posts, read 3,002,724 times
I am not a resident of LOFS, however I am familiar with it as a realtor.

If you want to do the activities that LOFS provides (golf, fishing, swimming, boating, tennis, snowmobiling, club & social activities etc) you would probably like it. For a gated country club, its very affordable, with more of a middle class vacation vibe then anything else, with both single family houses and condos. Homes range from fairly simple ranches to multi-level custom golf view or lakefront ones.

Its pretty big, in fact its larger then some of the towns here in NW Indiana with about 8.000 residents. Its in both Lake and Porter county. Most kids go to Crown Point schools and the whole subdivision has Crown Point addresses. Home prices range from the low $100,000's to about $500,000. Condos range in the low $100,000. Development began in the late 1960's, so the majority of homes were built in the 1970's and early 1980's. Most (not all) of the condos are from the 1970's. There are newer homes of course (1990's & 2000's) and a few lots are still available (including a lake lot) for new construction.

Since its a private community, the streets and common areas are owned by the association and there is private security. So there is a monthly fee (I think payable yearly) on all properties. For single family homes, most seem to be in the $1300-1400 range for a year. That fee does NOT include golf which is a separate, optional, membership (don't know the costs offhand, you can check with the clubhouse for that). Condo fees are in the $300 a month range (a bit high for the area) since they include exterior maintenance, grass cutting & snow shoveling etc. that the single family homes don't get.

The commute to DT Chicago would be a hike. Possible, doable, but not so fun, a hour at least. A drive up I-65 to the toll-road or a hop onto the South Shore RR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana