Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 12,526 times

Advertisements

I moved to Munster about two years ago to start a family and have a good life. I am beginning to wonder how long it will be until the area falls to the surrounding areas. Hammond is next door along with Sauk Village, Gary, Lansing, East Chicago, etc. I do know that Lansing is not that bad (yet).
One of the main reasons I moved here is for the quality schools and low crime rate. I am truly concerned that Munster will eventually go the way of Hammond and Gary.
What is keeping Hammond from busing over to Munster schools? I hope there is at least twenty or so years left before Munster declines. As it is right now Munster is slowly becoming a "bubble town" with lousy neighborhoods surrounding it. I do not mean to offend, this is a serious concern I have for me and my children.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
There is no guarantee Munster WILL turn into Hammond. Even its older homes and less impressive homes have some value, thanks to the Munster school system. On the South and West sides of town, there are expensive communities that Hammond does not have.

AFAIK, Munster touches Hammond, Lansing, Schererville and Highland. Lansing is definitely declining and is no longer considered a desirable location (neither is Hammond). Highland is kind of so-so, while Schererville remains popular. I don't think Munster is really that much better than places like Schererville, Dyer, St John and CP. I wouldn't worry about it too much for now.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:55 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsterDweller View Post
I moved to Munster about two years ago to start a family and have a good life. I am beginning to wonder how long it will be until the area falls to the surrounding areas. Hammond is next door along with Sauk Village, Gary, Lansing, East Chicago, etc. I do know that Lansing is not that bad (yet).
One of the main reasons I moved here is for the quality schools and low crime rate. I am truly concerned that Munster will eventually go the way of Hammond and Gary.
What is keeping Hammond from busing over to Munster schools? I hope there is at least twenty or so years left before Munster declines. As it is right now Munster is slowly becoming a "bubble town" with lousy neighborhoods surrounding it. I do not mean to offend, this is a serious concern I have for me and my children.
Thanks in advance.
People have been saying that for years, and it hasn't happened yet, not even close. Actually, quite the opposite has happened. I feel like 15 years ago Munster was a very middle class town, and it's become more affluent. Keep your eye on two main things if you want to project if a town is on the decline. Is crime increasing? Are the schools declining? The answer to both of these for Munster is No. You have nothing to worry about right now and in the forseeable future. Munster's a great town and you should be proud to live there.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 12,526 times
Thanks for both of your replies. I will admit I may be "too paranoid" I just hate the idea of declining property values, schools, etc. I am very proud to live in Munster.
I just want to make sure my children have good schools to go to.
Any other input is welcome.
Thanks!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsterDweller View Post
Thanks for both of your replies. I will admit I may be "too paranoid" I just hate the idea of declining property values, schools, etc. I am very proud to live in Munster.
I just want to make sure my children have good schools to go to.
Any other input is welcome.
Thanks!
You won't find better schools in Northwest Indiana than Munster.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
People have been saying that for years, and it hasn't happened yet, not even close. Actually, quite the opposite has happened. I feel like 15 years ago Munster was a very middle class town, and it's become more affluent. Keep your eye on two main things if you want to project if a town is on the decline. Is crime increasing? Are the schools declining? The answer to both of these for Munster is No. You have nothing to worry about right now and in the forseeable future. Munster's a great town and you should be proud to live there.
This ^^ I really don't see Munster going anywhere but up. The same conditions that led to the decline of Gary/Hammond simply do not apply to Munster and any "spillover" effect would have happened a long time ago. As svillechris points out, Munster has actually become more affluent as these other cities continue to decline. It's difficult for me to imagine a scenario that would "turn Munster into the next Hammond". Maybe a natural disaster or other major catastrophe?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,148 times
BlueFox and svillchris have pretty much summed up what I was going to say...people have been saying since the 90s that "ohhh Munster is going to go downhill because it's neighbors"...people thought that crime and blight would move south like it did in Chicago. While Munster does have to be careful that crime spillover from surrounding towns does not happen, I do not think the town will go downhill at all in the near future.

Also to answer your question, the only way Hammond (or any other school system for that matter) would be allowed to bus their kids to Munster schools is if state law required it or if hell froze over.

Furthermore, IMHO, if Munster were to go downhill, then people in Dyer, Schererville, and Saint John should be VERY worried.

Shoot, look at Merrillville...nobody EVER thought that Merrillville would go downhill, and look at it now...sure the schools are not the worst YET, but it has become a less than desirable place to live for many people. It seems to also becoming somewhat of a less desirable place to shop more recently...

The crime has largely been moving to the east into places like Portage where the price of entry and number of rentals is MUCH lower for much newer places.

Also, while I believe Lansing is not as desirable as it once was, I do not think that it is anywhere near a hell-hole. It is primarily the school system that the vast majority of people are worried (or actually disgusted) about. The safety is not as high as it used to be, but I wouldn't call it a dangerous place.

Looking at the commercial projects coming into town as well as the willingness of people to construct teardowns on the northern side of town (that were NOT flood damage related), I feel positive about the towns future.

I would also like to say that it seems like Highland is starting to get its act together so that it remains a decent place to live as well.

Also, south Hammond (with the exception of the schools) is still not a terrible place to live. And although I do not agree with much of what their mayor has done, I do like the fact that he is trying to make the southern sections of Hammond more attractive. It helps Munster and Highland for sure.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM

20 posts, read 38,769 times
I don't think there is good way to predict the way an area will be in 5 or 10 yrs. We can always speculate. Keep in mind that living in a place never has to be permanent. We are in the process of preparing our finances for moving (we live in EC). I think any place has it's pros/cons. I don't blame you for being concerned about the future, our reasons for moving have everything to do with the future. My son is only 2 and we're wanting to move to a place with better schools, more safety, more green, less urban.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,918 times
Hello we are from Viriginia; moved to Chesterton and my husband wants to live in Munster to help his commute to travel to work. I was concerned since I'm quite new to Northwest Indiana areas. The comments help greatly. Thank you.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 AM

54 posts, read 135,400 times
I moved up here two years ago from Kentucky, rented a house in Munster and really liked it here. the town seems very proactive on road maintenance and keeping the quality of life nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana