Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:05 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,486,658 times

Advertisements

Here is a news article in regards to construction within the school district: Lake Central construction picks up pace for summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:13 PM

17,331 posts, read 14,601,175 times
svillechris and/or NWI ... I know the info is out there but I know I'll get MUCH more detail from either (and both!) of you.

Admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to the new Lake Central High School ... let me ask you this:

Why wasn't a remodel considered?

How old was the original high school?

What happened/is happening to the old high school?

Like I said, I know I can find the info here & online BUT ... I'd rather hear it in first person from you.

That, and I'm busy ordering a gift basket.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,486,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
svillechris and/or NWI ... I know the info is out there but I know I'll get MUCH more detail from either (and both!) of you.

Admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to the new Lake Central High School ... let me ask you this:

I posted this a long time ago in another thread, but here were all the options considered at one time

Like I said, I know I can find the info here & online BUT ... I'd rather hear it in first person from you.

That, and I'm busy ordering a gift basket.

I posted this a long time ago in another thread, but all the options that were considered at one time are detailed in this article: Options for high school abound

Warning, it is confusing lol..

Basically, a remodel was not considered because it would end up being more expensive in the long run than building a new building.

The original school was built in 1967.

With the exception of the Freshman Center (on the south side of the campus built in the 90s), the rest of the school is being torn down and rebuilt in phases. The main academic wing (three stories) is finished and is HUGE...they are now working on the auditorium, gymnasium and athletic fields.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:03 PM

17,331 posts, read 14,601,175 times
Thanks for posting ... much appreciated!

I have such a hard time wrapping my head around the argument that "it's cheaper to raze than remodel".

VHS most definitely needs an overall. And there are some powers that be that want to build a new high school - I am NOT one of them.

Thanks for the link ... food for thought.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 AM

811 posts, read 2,335,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post

I posted this a long time ago in another thread, but all the options that were considered at one time are detailed in this article: Options for high school abound

Warning, it is confusing lol..

Basically, a remodel was not considered because it would end up being more expensive in the long run than building a new building.

The original school was built in 1967.

With the exception of the Freshman Center (on the south side of the campus built in the 90s), the rest of the school is being torn down and rebuilt in phases. The main academic wing (three stories) is finished and is HUGE...they are now working on the auditorium, gymnasium and athletic fields.

Yeah...what he said.

I think every option including a remodel was considered but there was SO MUCH that would needed to be remodeled, it almost certainly would have been more costly to do it that way than start clean and build a new high school. There were MAJOR structural issues, crumbling, all that. And, the main and biggest issue with the old school was the overcrowding, mainly in the hallways. I'm no architect, but if they would have tried to patch-work fix or remodel the halls by widening them, that would push them outward and into the rooms? The rooms themselves were too small as is and weren't up to state standards as far as square footage per student in the rooms. So then the rooms would have to be reconstructed? At that point, might as well knock it down and start new before it nickle and dimes you to death.

And you ask what happened/is happening to the old high school? The wrecking ball happened. It's been knocked down. There are some pics in this article of the construction crews tearing it down: http://www.lakecentralnews.com/news/...h-a-bulldozer/

And occasional construciton updates with pictures dating back a few years here: http://www.lakecentralnews.com/categ...ction-updates/

Last edited by svillechris; 06-06-2014 at 08:09 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 PM

815 posts, read 2,996,551 times
By the time you try to add features (and to comply with today's codes) to make an old (and sometime not that old) building work like you want it to work today, it's often cheaper to completely rebuild. I know someone who owns several McDonald's in Illinois and Wisconsin, and he is in the process of completely replacing every building he owns. One of them was only built in 1984! But trying to make them work with how a McDonald's works today, like the double drive thru lanes, the structure in many cases is now in the wrong location. And when you start to pick apart a kitchen in one, there is nothing worth saving anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
View detailed profiles of: