Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will more commercial airliners using Gary/Chicago Int Airport will improve the local economy?
Yes 8 66.67%
No 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:39 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times

Advertisements

If done right, it would help as a huge part of any areas economy comes from its airport. Hartsfield accounts for over 1 billion dollars for Atlanta's economy and no GYY isn't Hartsfield or Midway for that matter but if done successfully, it will not be the city's savior but could add very well to the local economy which is something it's never actually done. Social issues holds the city back and until that is addressed or at least brought under some sort of control, don't expect much from the local community of Lake and Porter counties. Investment would have to come from outside of NWI because NWI itself isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:01 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
If done right, it would help as a huge part of any areas economy comes from its airport. Hartsfield accounts for over 1 billion dollars for Atlanta's economy and no GYY isn't Hartsfield or Midway for that matter but if done successfully, it will not be the city's savior but could add very well to the local economy which is something it's never actually done. Social issues holds the city back and until that is addressed or at least brought under some sort of control, don't expect much from the local community of Lake and Porter counties. Investment would have to come from outside of NWI because NWI itself isn't.
Good points and Lake county , IN really would not benefit from the lucritive landing and take off fees.
Gate fees etc..

These contracts are held tightly by the municipalities around ohare and the city of chicago.

I think the reason you wiil not see much interest from the state of indiana and the city of gary is they would recieve a very small portion of these agreements.

what they gain would be a very small percetage.

Take the south suburban proposal and how elk grove and bensenville is the winner in that deal same applies to the proposed airport in Gary.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Good points and Lake county , IN really would not benefit from the lucritive landing and take off fees.
Gate fees etc..

These contracts are held tightly by the municipalities around ohare and the city of chicago.

I think the reason you wiil not see much interest from the state of indiana and the city of gary is they would recieve a very small portion of these agreements.

what they gain would be a very small percetage.

Take the south suburban proposal and how elk grove and bensenville is the winner in that deal same applies to the proposed airport in Gary.
Bingo! For the state to even act like they care, Gary would have to become part of the Indianapolis Airport Authority and dump Chicago which means fees they receive from the Illinois side would no longer be received. I don't think that would be received well in NWI having to be subservient to the capital city like that. Chicago, well it's Chicago and there's a lot of people not too thrilled with that but the way Indianapolis just deals with LC, tends to leave a sour taste at times.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Seems to me alot of people have this misconception like "build it and the will come"

It's just not that simple even the Peotone airport would be controlled by other villages not even in the south suburban foot print with communities nearby having no say so in any matter pertaining to the airport.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 AM

320 posts, read 717,774 times
Quote:
Yes, been news for a bit. All of the airlines for the most part went out of business. Illinois residents really had no need to use GYY since they've always gone to vacation destinations such as Vegas, Orlando, etc. If there was a carrier(s) actually willing to take on more business destinations and properly advertised, it could draw south suburban commuters due to proximity, convenience and price. Again though, it is in an industrial area so once you get there, you're stuck in the event of weather with no options for food outside a vending machine. They would have to develop the land but a huge swath of land over there is protected wetlands and the industrial areas would more than likely have to be cleaned up.
Yeah, its an heavily industrial area now. Yes there are protected wetlands, but it still appears to be a lot of empty space that can be used for mix-use developments. For example, US Steel has agreed to consolidate their lake front property, in which the city will reclaim a huge swath of lakefront property. And we all know how expensive lake-front property can be in this area-even in Gary. Also, the area between Cline and Colfax, which is currently zoned as industrial, is a pretty empty stretch of land and can be rezone for more mix-use development. This would not only create more room for more mix-use development, but more room for expansion.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,059 times
Allow me to be the bearer of bad news/reality.

Two words, Urban Renewal! Unfortunately the city of Gary suffers from what most cities that have had severe downturn suffer from which is a lack of vision among other things. What is needed is in itself, severe. Urban renewal is a tool that has been utilized by metropolitan areas for generations and to great success but as with anything, with great success comes even greater risks and sacrifices. Gary is a goldmine. With major rail, shipping ports, four different interstates along with major thoroughfares and an airport Gary is the type of place that is appealing to industries as well as potential residents. I was a witness to the urban renewal process in Nashville, TN where a swath of the downtown area was reclaimed through urban renewal and brought to a standard where the more privileged would consider the area. That brought revenue. In return, Nashville looks more appealing to visitors and tourist thus, contributing to the income of the area. I was born and raised in Gary and it pains me to see the shape that it is in but, to me, it is more of an indication that drastic changes are needed. Urban renewal will bring the fresh start that Gary needs and the reputation that it deserves. With a proper advertising campaign via radio, internet and television touting Gary as the “New Alternative to the Suburbs” for Chicago professionals, people will look at Gary as such. Offer remodeled condos and boutiques that professionals would like. Offer incentives to new businesses such as Target and Starbucks that would make Gary an appealing alternative to places like Merrillville. Use that money to reclaim even more land while reinvesting back into infrastructure so that it will all become self sustaining, which in return will attract more businesses. Business likes stability and opportunity for growth. Hire a couple of go-getting advertising majors straight out of college to promote this city the same way you would promote a new chic restaurant. There’s a ton of great ideas out there but with the core attitude in Gary right now I would compare it to a gangrene infection; it’s rotten and now you have to remove the parts that are infected so that you can promote healing. It is a harsh truth but at the same time, it’s absolute. Don’t continue to bandaid that infection.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anothervision View Post
Allow me to be the bearer of bad news/reality.

Two words, Urban Renewal! Unfortunately the city of Gary suffers from what most cities that have had severe downturn suffer from which is a lack of vision among other things. What is needed is in itself, severe. Urban renewal is a tool that has been utilized by metropolitan areas for generations and to great success but as with anything, with great success comes even greater risks and sacrifices. Gary is a goldmine. With major rail, shipping ports, four different interstates along with major thoroughfares and an airport Gary is the type of place that is appealing to industries as well as potential residents. I was a witness to the urban renewal process in Nashville, TN where a swath of the downtown area was reclaimed through urban renewal and brought to a standard where the more privileged would consider the area. That brought revenue. In return, Nashville looks more appealing to visitors and tourist thus, contributing to the income of the area. I was born and raised in Gary and it pains me to see the shape that it is in but, to me, it is more of an indication that drastic changes are needed. Urban renewal will bring the fresh start that Gary needs and the reputation that it deserves. With a proper advertising campaign via radio, internet and television touting Gary as the “New Alternative to the Suburbs” for Chicago professionals, people will look at Gary as such. Offer remodeled condos and boutiques that professionals would like. Offer incentives to new businesses such as Target and Starbucks that would make Gary an appealing alternative to places like Merrillville. Use that money to reclaim even more land while reinvesting back into infrastructure so that it will all become self sustaining, which in return will attract more businesses. Business likes stability and opportunity for growth. Hire a couple of go-getting advertising majors straight out of college to promote this city the same way you would promote a new chic restaurant. There’s a ton of great ideas out there but with the core attitude in Gary right now I would compare it to a gangrene infection; it’s rotten and now you have to remove the parts that are infected so that you can promote healing. It is a harsh truth but at the same time, it’s absolute. Don’t continue to bandaid that infection.
Advertising is going to do nothing about the current political realities of the city of Gary. The current politicians are too invested in the way the city is now, they truly don't want change.

Until the voters of Gary change the "leadership" at city hall, little is going to change in the city.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Advertising is going to do nothing about the current political realities of the city of Gary. The current politicians are too invested in the way the city is now, they truly don't want change.

Until the voters of Gary change the "leadership" at city hall, little is going to change in the city.
Well there was somewhat of change at city hall. Give her more than a month at least. Where the change didn't come was the common council which should literally be gutted from top to bottom.

Advertising will do nothing right now for the city, local buy in just isn't there. The burbs of LC would have to change their mindset towards the city and the city has to change its mindset towards itself and neither will be an easy task, esp. the latter, all of this despite the potential that lies within the city.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:53 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Quote:
Well there was somewhat of change at city hall. Give her more than a month at least. Where the change didn't come was the common council which should literally be gutted from top to bottom.

Advertising will do nothing right now for the city, local buy in just isn't there. The burbs of LC would have to change their mindset towards the city and the city has to change its mindset towards itself and neither will be an easy task, esp. the latter, all of this despite the potential that lies within the city.
Karen Freeman-Wilson is a card carrying member of the status quo. She is the former Indiana attorney general (under the late, former Gov. O'Bannon), best known for being largely incompetent at that job. Nothing and I mean nothing has changed at city hall. I have very low expectations of her administration.

Replacing one Democrat party machine member with another isn't going to bring any changes to how Gary runs and how it is seen. The one party system needs to be broken in Gary, and there seems to be nothing in the works to do so. So Gary will continue to just get by like it has for the last forty years.

By the way, I don't hate Gary. I wish it could right itself, and that's the only way that will happen. Outsiders and their money cannot fix it, the citizens of Gary have to be the ones that do it. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening anytime soon the political will just doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana