Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:06 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times

Advertisements

I moved back to Elkhart (moving to Mishawaka soon, Elkhart is boring) from California cuz the sun, overcrowding and cost of living was annoying. I was thinking awesome I can go Sledding now! I can enjoy overcast days and not have to squint n wear sunglasses all time! But nope this winter plain out sucks! Where's the snow! Such a bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 05:26 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I moved back to Elkhart (moving to Mishawaka soon, Elkhart is boring) from California cuz the sun, overcrowding and cost of living was annoying. I was thinking awesome I can go Sledding now! I can enjoy overcast days and not have to squint n wear sunglasses all time! But nope this winter plain out sucks! Where's the snow! Such a bummer.
Elkhart is not that boring as you imply there is stuff to do.
But anyway didn't you know the liberals global warming is true!
*Sarcasm intended*
lol as the weathermen said its an artic osilation so we were just lucky this year and thats great for the state cause of how well Indianapolis did for Super Bowl 46.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
*Sarcasm intended*
lol as the weathermen said its an artic osilation so we were just lucky this year and thats great for the state cause of how well Indianapolis did for Super Bowl 46.
I'm not gonna argue on the Elkhart being boring, because it is. It's a factory town plain n simple. And lots of the fun places have closed. I do like Mishawaka though, tons of shopping, better parks etc.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not gonna argue on the Elkhart being boring, because it is. It's a factory town plain n simple. And lots of the fun places have closed. I do like Mishawaka though, tons of shopping, better parks etc.
Ya shopping in Mishawaka is much better.
We go to bestbuy there
But there is the Elk Theatre and Island park.
Elkhart has come a long way since the 80s i can guarentee that.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:

Winter isn't over yet ....

Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
*Sarcasm intended*
Indiana is a huge contributor to carbon emissions, the worst of ANY state in the US per capita. The long-term trend for average temperatures has been increasing- particularly for winter months.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Indiana is a huge contributor to carbon emissions, the worst of ANY state in the US per capita. The long-term trend for average temperatures has been increasing- particularly for winter months.
well if were going to get into the global warming subject i did see an interesting episode of the Universe on History Channel.
It pointed out that 20% of global warming is due to the natural expansion and increased heat of our Sun due to it burning up the Hydrogen in its core. Every Billion years the sun will grow 10% brighter and hotter so a billion years from now earth will have very little water and life on it. Average Surface Temperatures will be about 100 Degrees Fahrenheit hotter.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
well if were going to get into the global warming subject i did see an interesting episode of the Universe on History Channel.
It pointed out that 20% of global warming is due to the natural expansion and increased heat of our Sun due to it burning up the Hydrogen in its core. Every Billion years the sun will grow 10% brighter and hotter so a billion years from now earth will have very little water and life on it. Average Surface Temperatures will be about 100 Degrees Fahrenheit hotter.
That response did not pertain to Indiana being the worst carbon emitter per capita of any state in the US. The state can take easy steps to become far more energy efficient and use a far greater percentage of renewable sources to generate electricity. The state refuses to move beyond big coal and big expensive centralized generating facilities with all of their inherent externalized costs. If the US doesn't lead in tech for clean energy, renewables, etc China will just take over the innovation of it which means more lost opportunities and jobs for the US.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That response did not pertain to Indiana being the worst carbon emitter per capita of any state in the US. The state can take easy steps to become far more energy efficient and use a far greater percentage of renewable sources to generate electricity. The state refuses to move beyond big coal and big expensive centralized generating facilities with all of their inherent externalized costs. If the US doesn't lead in tech for clean energy, renewables, etc China will just take over the innovation of it which means more lost opportunities and jobs for the US.
Exactly and the reason China is taking over the US in manufacturing and many other sectors is 1 Unions and unfair collective baragaining. I am not against the principles of Labor Unions BUT i am against Greed and especially with UAW and GM/Chrysler UAW kept the unsustainable union contract and they knew intentionally GM and chrysler were losing money and ford was too. But ford had the guts to tell them to stick it or leave.
2nd our tax code is complete BS. it shouldn't be 35% corporate income tax rate with a billion loopholes. And even though i do not like obama at all this i agree with him on and i bet he is doing it so he looks like a *good guy* to everyone to be reelected. But anyway he wants to close loopholes and reduce the corporate income tax to that of our trading partners in the mid 20%s. That would be a huge step in order to compete with China and bring jobs back to the US by not giving tax credits to companies that go to china. 3rd is we need to hold China accountable more for recalls and for on purposely devaluating their currency to use currency economics to *Steal* jobs from the United States. The US needs to stick up against china more. Other countries too cause in today's global market we are competing against so many countries America should always have that edge like in the past when people wanted to come to America to find new opportunity.

Also FYI Indiana is not refusing to go Green. We are just refusing to follow the federal governments timeline and doing it the Washington D.C way.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Ya shopping in Mishawaka is much better.
We go to bestbuy there
But there is the Elk Theatre and Island park.
Elkhart has come a long way since the 80s i can guarentee that.
your joking right? Lol. When I was a kid we had music stores, 3 arcades, 2 malls n a decent downtown. Look at all the vacancies dt now. No music stores, 1 mall leveled and the other about 40% empty and cruising was banned. And Island park? Wow, one lap and move on. It is NOT better than it was in 70,80's. Fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana