Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 24,933 times

Advertisements

Hi! Everyone,

I am moving from Cleveland to Munster due to a job change. Have family; inlcuding a 3 yr old. Would anyone have recommendations regarding where to live, schools etc? Basically looking for a safe neighbourhood with good schools, and hopefully some decent shopping within a 15-20 min drive. We are hoping to live within a 10 mile radius of Munster.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 11:03 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfreak View Post
Hi! Everyone,

I am moving from Cleveland to Munster due to a job change. Have family; inlcuding a 3 yr old. Would anyone have recommendations regarding where to live, schools etc? Basically looking for a safe neighbourhood with good schools, and hopefully some decent shopping within a 15-20 min drive. We are hoping to live within a 10 mile radius of Munster.

Thanks!

Munster has a top notch school system and it's a very nice area for families. It's dangerously close, however, to some not so nice areas. You may want to consider the Lake Central school system (it's good as well), in the towns of Schererville, Dyer & St. John. If you are willing to consider a little longer commute, you could try Valparaiso or Chesterton. It's a little further than what you are describing, but both school systems are great. Valparaiso is one of the top school systems in the state (along with Munster). Coming from Cleveland, your cost of living may rise a little bit since you will be closer to Chicago and so many Chicago people are moving into the area, driving up housing prices. Taxes are lower in Porter County (Valpo & Chesterton). Lake County property taxes are kind of wild right now.

I lived in Valpo and taught at the law school, so I am biased.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:42 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Default Munster will be fine

Midwestfreak,
I grew up in Lake County and still have family that lives there so know it pretty well. You'll find plenty of shopping in the area so that shouldn't be an issue. As the other poster stated, Munster schools are pretty good. If you can't afford housing in Munster, Dyer or Shererville would be good alternatives. Both would be within your 10 mile radius. St. John might be a little farther than you'll need to go to find something. Nothing wrong with Highland to my knowledge, but would definitely not want my kids in Hammond schools. From my understanding the schools in my hometown of Griffith have been declining, but it's still a pleasant enough place to live. Lots of affordable housing also. One note, Lake County received record levels of rain in the past weeks---and lots of flooding in Highland, Griffith, and probably some other areas as well. If you're making a trip anytime soon please understand that this is far from the norm!!! One note--when I was growing up, (more years ago than I care to admit) Munster sort of had a reputation of being a snobbish place to live. From everything I hear, it still does.
Good luck!

Old 09-27-2006, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 24,933 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks Domergurl and rrah for your helpful comments!

I was looking at some houses in Munster , and they are easily 75,000- 100,000 higher than the prices in the neighbouring areas... Is the school system worth the expense? Also, what do you think of the property appreciation in the neighbouring areas of Schererville, St John etc?

Domergurl- which areas did you have in mind when you said "dangerously close" ?

Old 09-28-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks Domergurl and rrah for your helpful comments!

I was looking at some houses in Munster , and they are easily 75,000- 100,000 higher than the prices in the neighbouring areas... Is the school system worth the expense? Also, what do you think of the property appreciation in the neighbouring areas of Schererville, St John etc?

Domergurl- which areas did you have in mind when you said "dangerously close" ?
to Gary and Hammond.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:44 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
One of my family members recently left Schereville due to a job transfer. Her property appreciated pretty nicely. Lots of people have discovered that the commute from NW Indiana into Chicago is no more difficult than from the IL suburbs, Real estate taxes are considerably lower, and so is the price of a decent house. Many of them have been leaving IL for Indiana. I would expect the appreciation to continue. It's amazing to me when I make up to that area. Never would I have expected to see houses priced at 300,000 and up out in Crown Point, Sherreville, etc. In terms of the school quality, I can't really answer from experience. My take on schools is pretty different from most peoples opinion. I looked beyond those test scores last time we moved. I visited the schools, talked to the principals and teachers, and found a place that didn't have the highest scores in the district, but could challenge our children and worked with involved parents to make sure our kids would get the best possible education.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:16 AM

489 posts, read 2,014,738 times
Whatever you do conebung relocating to NW Indians or anywhere near there, please keep in mind the winter weather and its effects on your commute to work. Grew up there and lived there until I was 30 and drove white knuckled to and from work during the winter for a number of years. Another option for work would be take the train into Chicago for safer travel, more mornt, and better benefits.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,451 times
How does a person figure out the date the posts came in. All I see is the year the person joined.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:56 PM

upper left corner of the post.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:48 AM

25 posts, read 63,772 times
Default Try these

I think you would like Munster; Schererville; Dyer; and St. John.
Although, Munster seems to stand-out a bit more because it is very accessible to major expressways and you have several shoping options. You may go to Hobart Mall(Merrilville) or Orland mall in Illinois.

Community Hospital has a good rep.

Several nice areas to live in if you are considering moving and renting.

Good luck. I am a Realtor and can send you more info. By the way, Chicago's Downtown shopping district - "Water Tower" is accessible on the "South Shore line".

Quote:
Hi! Everyone,

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana