Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Rockford, hard to say would have to look them up. Parts of Chicago Gary is freaking Naperville. The city is on pace to record about 38 homicides this year, up from 35 the year before and lowest it's been for about 5 decades and even that might be pushing it. Do not get the two confused nor do not let the big skyscrapers fool you about the parts of Chicago Chicagoians on this site dare not talk about. It's not all gold coast and outdoor cafe's. Gary is a breeze compared to the worst parts of Chicago.
The major difference between Gary and the worst parts of Chicago is that the worst parts of Chicago are still densely populated whereas much of Gary feels like one huge city that a tornado went through. But ya, while the worst parts of Gary may not appear as bad as the worst parts of Chicago, there is no part of Gary that makes it look like Naperville. And the best parts of Chicago make the best parts of Gary look like a ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The major difference between Gary and the worst parts of Chicago is that the worst parts of Chicago are still densely populated whereas much of Gary feels like one huge city that a tornado went through. But ya, while the worst parts of Gary may not appear as bad as the worst parts of Chicago, there is no part of Gary that makes it look like Naperville. And the best parts of Chicago make the best parts of Gary look like a ghetto.
You would have to partake in both to see the difference.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:40 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
I see the difference first hand almost every day...

Old 08-19-2012, 05:33 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Rockford, hard to say would have to look them up. Parts of Chicago Gary is freaking Naperville. The city is on pace to record about 38 homicides this year, up from 35 the year before and lowest it's been for about 5 decades and even that might be pushing it. Do not get the two confused nor do not let the big skyscrapers fool you about the parts of Chicago Chicagoians on this site dare not talk about. It's not all gold coast and outdoor cafe's. Gary is a breeze compared to the worst parts of Chicago.
You realize that Gary has fewer than 100,000 people, while Chicago has approximately 3 million, right? That means Chicago would have to have over 1,000 murders per year to have the same murder rate that Gary has with 35. That's not going to happen. Thanks so much for alerting me to the non-skyscraper parts of Chicago, though. I just live in them and drive through them every day, so I had no idea they existed.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 PM

196 posts, read 658,296 times
Well yeah,

It's always been that way.

Most of Gary's crime has always been because it's close to Chicago.

I mean, how do you think the Gangster Disciples and Vice Lords ended up there?

Gary's gangs are Chicago's gangs.

The crack epidemic started in Gary from Chicago, etc. . .

But I wouldn't say there's new crime from Chicago. The two cities have just always been connected.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I lived there near Griffith in 1988 - 1990. Ridge Road was nice. Little shops and businesses. No crime, felt safe. Last year I took a ride down there and it is gone downhill.. a few of the small businesses were boarded up or something because they look like they were abandoned and falling apart. A co-worker in Lansing nearby says that a lot of the Cabrini tenants moved there and it sure looks run down ... the move from Cabrini happened in the mid 1990s according to him. I am sorry to see what used to be a country area now looks kinda bad.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I lived there near Griffith in 1988 - 1990. Ridge Road was nice. Little shops and businesses. No crime, felt safe. Last year I took a ride down there and it is gone downhill.. a few of the small businesses were boarded up or something because they look like they were abandoned and falling apart. A co-worker in Lansing nearby says that a lot of the Cabrini tenants moved there and it sure looks run down ... the move from Cabrini happened in the mid 1990s according to him. I am sorry to see what used to be a country area now looks kinda bad.
Are you talking about Calumet Township?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Are you talking about Calumet Township?
Artemis - I think that was it - it was unincorporated Gary - west of the city of Gary right around the Griffith border there .... lots of trees there! actually very pretty.. back then.. now, not so much. sorry to see it go busted up when i toured it recently

Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Artemis - I think that was it - it was unincorporated Gary - west of the city of Gary right around the Griffith border there .... lots of trees there! actually very pretty.. back then.. now, not so much. sorry to see it go busted up when i toured it recently
Black Oak area, around Menards. I haven't been over that way in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana