Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 PM

98 posts, read 280,052 times

Advertisements

I like to go cruising I like somewhere to drive and look at the lake so I have a 2part question?

1--- driving from us41/Indianapolis blvd and Ridge Rd I like nice short but safe route I could cruise to see the lake from my car? If anyone give me a route miles that be great?

2--- what's the best route to the dunes from Ridge and 41? Somewhere I could take my kids swimming thanks everyone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,417,559 times
Are you asking about a drive along the lake or driving to the lake?

There are numerous options if you just want to see the lake. You could drive north on 41 to Whiting Beach. You'll likely drive through some rougher areas, but it should really be fine during the day. You could drive east on Ridge Road to the Gary area beaches. The alternative is to hop on 80/94 and go east.

There really is no drive along the lake front.

Google Maps can be your friend.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 AM

The reason for the question is wanted hear from people know a good route you can drive your car and park it, look at the Lake. Google maps are nice, but I like information from people rather not drive through Gary. If I take US41 north to the lake there place to park? Is it safe area I cruise in a classic car sometimes figured that be nice thing drive up to the lake. Just watch the water.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:45 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,166,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw79 View Post
The reason for the question is wanted hear from people know a good route you can drive your car and park it, look at the Lake. Google maps are nice, but I like information from people rather not drive through Gary. If I take US41 north to the lake there place to park? Is it safe area I cruise in a classic car sometimes figured that be nice thing drive up to the lake. Just watch the water.
Well seeing as how the majority of open beach in Lake County is in Gary, that could pose a problem for you. Believe it or not but not too many people bother you on the beach gasp in Gary. Sure you can go to the marina and be right on top of smokestacks or Walhala is that how you spell it with BP right there. Only problem with Gary is they charge to park now but a lot of people park at Marquette elementary and make the 10 minute walk. You can just pay the $3 to park at Marquette Park beach and walk around, feel the sand or the $6 they want at Lake Street. Only place where you can walk your dog on the lake and it's a nice walk. I haven't personally made it all the way to the break at USS but I will make it there eventually and make it back.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:01 PM

40 posts, read 129,003 times
Like mentioned above, Your best bet would be to drive north on US 41 - Indy Blvd into Whiting. Turn right on 119th st (The stop light after Walgreens) and this will take you through downtown Whiting. Take 119th until the "T" intersection and turn left (north) on Front St. Go over the tracks and you are there.

You will notice a lake front drive facing the East lakeshore. There is a small parking lot here. If you continue around the drive to the west there will be a beach that charges an admission fee. This one has a nice facility, sandy beach, and the view of the Chicago Skyline. I think this will accomplish what you are looking for.

The drive will take you through Hammond and East Chicago. Neither are particularly bad areas but I wouldn't hang around too long after sunset.

I have stopped here a couple times on the commute back to Chicago. It is quite peaceful with the waves rolling in and the wind in your face.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM

31 posts, read 54,216 times
Ok i live in dyer and do quite like the lakefront. on my day off of work with nothing to do would i be better off catching a train downtown chicago from say east chicago or driving the rest of the way to gary beaches? i have an mp3 player and listen to a crap ton of podcasts anyway so a 45 minute train ride doesn't bother me in the least.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 PM

I prefer drive the us41 drive sounds nice. For me it's a 2 in 1 cruise in my car and see the water. How much is the admission at whiting? I looked up online there going to do redo the park or already have. Be nice see the skyline to..

The Gary route down ridge that take you to the Dunes?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,762,799 times
No, Ridge Road won''t take you to the Dunes. Eventually you'll have to go North.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:36 AM

Thanks everyone went to the Whiting park was pretty nice. From 41 and Ridge Rd how do I get to a nice Gary beach on lake Michigan?

Ps the directions were perfect to whiting thanks

Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 AM

15 posts, read 52,549 times
We live in Munster, and I take my 3 year old to the beach a lot. My favorite is Portage Beach, which has free admission, free parking, and lovely new facilities. there's some fun big dunes to climb if you want to tire your kids out, and a nice pier for walking. Great family beach. It's a touch tricky to find if you don't know where you're going: you get off on exit 19 on 94, head to the north, and follow signs to the lakefront(you'll actually pass right by a plant, it's kind of crazy). Go to the city of Portage's website and their park district to find a map: the park is Lakefront/Riverwalk.

The other nice one close to this area is West Beach, which is the biggest beach in the National Lakeshore close to us. It's got great trails and lovely facilities. During the summer they charge admission, but this ends on Labor Day. Google "Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore West Beach" to get directions. This one is in Gary, but I've never had a shadow of a problem. I've been there at sunset before: gorgeous views of the city!

In terms of route, I like a drive myself, but it's fastest to take the expressway, frankly, and you avoid the icky areas of Gary and Hammond. You can always meander along the lovely access roads that line that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana