Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Merrillville is declining?
Yes 36 83.72%
No 6 13.95%
Other - Please Explain 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,122,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzputinn View Post
Merrillville was incorporated in 1971 or 72 I believe. There has been a continual exodus SOUTH (from Gary) since the mid or late sixties. Glen Park used to be the "nice place" South of Gary in the sixties but it was closer to Gary.

Who can forget the white convenience store clerk who was blown away by a black teen shooter a few years ago in M-Ville........after she complied for his demands for money. As usual, family members described this shooter as "good kid" after the swat team was on their doorstep.

NO THANKS
What, North Glen Park was annexed right after broadway was extended south. South Glen Park was annexed in 1926 and always considered working class. How could be be the nice area South of Gary in the '60's when it was Gary? Crime didn't force people to leave Glen Park in the 60's, it was electing a black mayor and the onslaught of block busting that occurred the day after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM

811 posts, read 2,323,058 times
Well like I said earlier, perception is huge for any town. When the local newspaper has articles such as this one, it certainly doesn't help the town's image one bit. A 14 year old killed by a gunshot though his own window at home due to an act of gang initiation into Gangster Disciples. Kjerm, do you remember hearing about this type of thing happening much in Merrillville 20 years ago?
4 charged in fatal shooting of 14-year-old Merrillville boy : Merrillville

Last edited by svillechris; 04-02-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 PM

6 posts, read 23,695 times
I agree that all of the mentioned crimes are tragic. The 14 year old who lost his life in 2013, and clerk that lost life in 2012. It seems every year there is one tragic murder in Merrillville...wasn't there an 80 year former school teacher murdered in 2010 or 2011. I am not sure that one murder a year establishes a pattern of decline. If the person who robbed and killed would have driven further down the road and killed a clerk in Crown Point etc. would that mean that Crown Point is in decline..or would we just mourn the loss, and support the community. I do think that you should look at whole picture including quality of schools, and retail climate. In an average weekend on the south side of Chicago more murders occur than have occurred in Merrillville in the past two decades. Merrillville is not a blighted & dangerous place. I think when i give concrete statistics about rising test scores in Merrillville School with three elementary schools with higher test scores than most schools in Munster, Dyer, and Highland and the response is "what about that clerk that was killed" or statements that elementary schools are always good...that does not address how schools are getting better in a place that is declining, or why new retail is opening in a place that is quickly declining. A robbery can occur anywhere. Crime indicates decline when there is an increased pattern of crime...three gang shooting in a period of a month. Merrillville is a very integrated city in the very segregated "region"...and that is a blessing and a curse.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 PM

3,377 posts, read 3,299,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I would love to see Hammond rebound into a flourishing city because of the proximity to work centers in
Chicago.

Hammond physically is sitting pretty good with access to major highways , mass transit (southshore line)
and its proximity to the city.
I'd agree about that, and it definitely has potential to improve. The only thing that bothers me somewhat(as I occasionally am in that area, since I have a few friends who live there), is that it always seems like to me the city of Hammond could do more to attract new businesses there, say when you look at businesses affected by state and local(Chicago and/or Cook County ones) tax increases. Also, they really need to find a way to have some sort of city bus service again(and I'd prefer one day for NWI to have one true regional public transit bus system, instead of several separate public transit agencies), since Easygo discontinued last year. Overall it isn't bad, and NOWHERE near as bad as Gary's issues are(excluding the Miller area, since I thought that area was surprisingly nice).

Was briefly in Highland last summer, also very nice(plus have been to Munster and Whiting as well, also both nice). I hope one day, someone finally decides to reopen the Town Theater. If the Patio Theater in Chicago can finally reopen(and I feared for years that one never would reopen), certainly Town could come back. Hopefully they can find a way to raise money to get a digital projector, since that Hollywood studio mandate has bit many mom and pop theaters up their rear end.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM

2,154 posts, read 5,449,526 times
Default Interesting article

Merrillville officials hope to boost north end image

I wouldn't go as far as to say that there is a "misconception" regarding more crime happening in the north end of town, because when you look at the stats, most of the crime in Merrillville does occur in that area. But, the article is right that there is crime is happening in much of the area south of Rt. 30 in Merrillville and in north Crown Point as well.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 AM

811 posts, read 2,323,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Merrillville officials hope to boost north end image

I wouldn't go as far as to say that there is a "misconception" regarding more crime happening in the north end of town, because when you look at the stats, most of the crime in Merrillville does occur in that area. But, the article is right that there is crime is happening in much of the area south of Rt. 30 in Merrillville and in north Crown Point as well.
I was shaking my head while reading that article this morning. I get his point, he's trying to make the north end of town look more appealing. But to do it at the expense of the perception of the rest of your town? Huh? He's essentially saying "the crime in our town is not JUST on the north side, we have crime everywhere in Merrillville!"

Old 12-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Exclamation Merrillville History

Interesting column

RICH JAMES: Merrillville wants to preserve disappearing history

Old 03-04-2014, 04:32 PM

51 posts, read 168,501 times
Default Potential Broadmoor Redevelopment

Re-energized plans for the old Broadmoor golf course could be the first large scale residential development for Merrillville in awhile:

Illinois developer mum on plans for former Broadmoor Country Club site - Post-Tribune

Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 AM

Exclamation Interesting article

Wow! I saw the NWI Times article and I just rushed to this site to post it!

I really do hope that this development takes off. I did a little research on this developer and it seems like the home are generally more up-market than other similar models due to their more green concept.

The main question I do have is how will the Town of Schererville feel about this project? The only way to get to the Schererville part is to enter into Merrillville first. Would the homes on the Schererville side sell better because of Schererville or worse because it is right next to Merrillville? Marketing? Who knows. But the area is a decent location overall.

Construction possible at former golf course in Merrillville

Here is some information pertaining to the developer and his other developments:

Builder pitches net-zero energy homes

Lack of water leaves development wilting

On 11/1/2013, the development (Prairie Ridge Estates) was still considered "pending" and only had two model homes near completion. Here are more details. This is a long list, but it is only the first items (thank goodness!)

Village of New Lenox - Pending Development - November 1, 2013

In my opinion, I feel like this builder will have a more difficult time selling this development in NWI, let alone, in Merrillville where builders like Accent Homes have more affordable homes further removed from US 30.

Maybe it will be a mix of developers? I know that Olthof Homes has began to build clusters of their homes in subdivisions that they did not develop, but this is mostly limited to St. John (North Point & Gates of St. John). I wonder if they would join in on this. Oh well, we shall see!

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 03-05-2014 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 AM

Exclamation Update: New Charter School in Merrillville

There is most likely going to be a new charter school in Merrillville very soon. It is called "Northwest Indiana Science and Engineering (NiSe) STEM Charter School". I wonder what effect this will have on the Merrillville school system. I have posted a link to the news article as well to the NiSe Proposal. Just an FYI, the approved site is not the same as the initially proposed site.

Charter school receives BZA support

Request for Proposal for Northwest Indiana Science and Engineering (NiSe) STEM Charter School

What do you all think about these plans? The approved location is not very close to any residential area where students can walk; however, I would say that if this school is successful in the beginning, a new full-size school would be built closer into Merrillville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana