Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 PM

316 posts, read 660,545 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share any recommendations for apartments/townhouses/duplex's
for rent in Rensselaer, IN?
Thinking about moving their and rent till we find a house for sale in the area, while are child goes to school.
What do they have as far as Hospitals/stores and entertainment? I hear they have a rail system, is this like the trolley they have in San Diego CA?
How about bus service in the area?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:20 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
This is a town of about 6000. Rail system? I think there is an Amtrak station there. Perhaps you saw Rensselaer NY?

Bus service? There is a county service, but you have to call ahead. kirpc.net - Arrowhead Transit

There is a Walmart, a movie theater, several grocery stores and some fast food places. It is a SMALL town.

I would suggest you do a search for the local newspaper to find rentals.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Thank you!
Did you or know anyone that lives/lived there or anywhere in Jasper county? A Walmart is good and they have Rensselaer Central High School.

What are the grocery stores around there? Any farmers markets nearby?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
I knew some one that lived there years ago. I am not sure about the grocery stores. Google maps and "find nearby" show several stores. It's a farm area. There may not be a formal farmers' market, but I would bet money that there are some stands around the area.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 PM

How does it work out if your renting an apartment but looking for a home, do you loose your deposit with the apt rental?
I believe most of the water is city water no?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
If I had to live in Jasper Co. I'd go with DeMotte. It's pretty much exactly the same as Rennselaer in terms of small-town heartland type feel, it's but much closer to Porter and Lake Counties where you will find decent shopping/entertainment/etc. From Rennselaer you're looking at 45m-1hr drive to any significant population center. It's about 45m south of Crown Point, 1hr south of Valpo, and about 45min north of Lafayette. Demotte is about 20-30 minutes from CP or Valpo.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
If I had to live in Jasper Co. I'd go with DeMotte. It's pretty much exactly the same as Rennselaer in terms of small-town heartland type feel, it's but much closer to Porter and Lake Counties where you will find decent shopping/entertainment/etc. From Rennselaer you're looking at 45m-1hr drive to any significant population center. It's about 45m south of Crown Point, 1hr south of Valpo, and about 45min north of Lafayette. Demotte is about 20-30 minutes from CP or Valpo.
Thanks for the info.
Do a lot of the homes in that area have well water instead of city? I hear their is a water construction project for getting city water to Demotte residents.
Northwest Jasper Regional Water District Construction
Also my son would need to finish his High School and would need bus service, so he would he be going to the Kankakee Valley High School if living in Demotte?
I heard their is a landfill in Wheatfield, how far away is this and are their any factories in Demotte In pumping smoke into the air giving off a sulfur stink like Gary In?

Last edited by ranosb; 08-29-2012 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 06:44 PM

38 posts, read 152,633 times
I don't know of any landfill in Wheatfield.There is one in Newton County. Nipsco has a power plant north of Wheatfield,but I don't think there is a sulfur smell with it.Yes Demotte is part of the Kankakee Valley school system and they have bus service.Every summer there are vegetable stands thru the area.Alot of sweet corn!

Old 09-08-2012, 08:20 PM

I love thee sweet corn as well as blueberries! I will be a regular customer of vegetable stands though out Indiana.
Maybe I was thinking of Westville east of Valparaiso on the dump.

How is that Kankakee Valley high school doing theses days? Heard of some bad reports here.
From website:
"The school is clean, but old. Many classrooms have missing ceiling tiles as well as chunks from the walls missing where pipes were repaired"
Kankakee Valley High School - Wheatfield, Indiana - IN - School overview

Old 09-09-2012, 04:48 PM

38 posts, read 152,633 times
The corporation spent alot of money the last two years building the new middle school and refurbishing the high school.The previous superintendent was concerned with big buildings.The new superintendent is more focused on quality education.The threat from loosing accreditation was the previous super doing away with art,P.E..music over a contract dispute.I think everything must be back to normal now since they are accredited.I don't think the drug problem is any worse than any other high school.I have friends that work for the school and love their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana