Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmartin42 View Post
I'm interested in all of this, too! My husband - bless his poor heart - works at Lincoln Park Zoo so we were hoping to be close to 355, too. And we drove around Dyer south of 30 to look at all those new construction. They're LOVELY, but one thing to know is that much past 73rd it gets really rural, really fast. A few of those developments had the feel of houses that played hide and seek and got stuck in a cornfield. Some people love that, so if that's what you're looking for, you're all set! It's not to our particular taste, though. Retail seems pretty far away: easy access to the 30/Indianapolis shopping corridors is impt to us.

Anyone have any thoughts on how Dyer south of 30 might develop? Do you think the rural vibe will decrease, more retail will come in? Or is that section of Dyer committed to maintaining that rural feel?
I think you may have meant that Dyer south of 81st is very rural. I would certainly agree with that. The main reason I think is because that part of is actually unincorporated Dyer. The beautiful HighPoint Prairie subdivision near the southwest corner of 81st and Sheffield Ave. is the southernmost tip of the incorporated section of Dyer. Everything beyond that would not be maintained by the town of Dyer and I would assume would stay quite rural. There don't appear to be any imminent plans to incorporate the areas to the south, since the last attempt at annexation failed and was up against strong opposition. Therefore, I would think that any further residential development in those areas would be minimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 29,304 times
Thanks everyone! Just to give an update, we've just sold our condo in Chicago so we are now seriously looking. We really like the Tara subdivision you mentioned as well as the other neighborhoods in that area (presumably by the same builder). We've priced out some lots and builders in the Heron Lake subdivision behind Lake Central and those are also within or close to our budget. The housing market seems to be doing amazing in NWI. Everytime we view a home, it seems to go under contract very quickly. I'm still not sold on building as I worry about seeing a return on our investment with all the new homes going up. I'd hate to see it depreciate of we move in 5 years or so. Any thoughts on this? Also while I like the thought of a brand new home, with our budget we'd really be limted to a pre drawn, cookie cutter type home. And I'm not sure I want the same house as my neighbor. One day perhaps I'll find a plot of land and build that craftsman style dream home! Thanks for all your help and I'll let you know where we end up!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mads912 View Post
Thanks everyone! Just to give an update, we've just sold our condo in Chicago so we are now seriously looking. We really like the Tara subdivision you mentioned as well as the other neighborhoods in that area (presumably by the same builder). We've priced out some lots and builders in the Heron Lake subdivision behind Lake Central and those are also within or close to our budget. The housing market seems to be doing amazing in NWI. Everytime we view a home, it seems to go under contract very quickly. I'm still not sold on building as I worry about seeing a return on our investment with all the new homes going up. I'd hate to see it depreciate of we move in 5 years or so. Any thoughts on this? Also while I like the thought of a brand new home, with our budget we'd really be limted to a pre drawn, cookie cutter type home. And I'm not sure I want the same house as my neighbor. One day perhaps I'll find a plot of land and build that craftsman style dream home! Thanks for all your help and I'll let you know where we end up!
Congrats on selling your condo! I am also glad that you have found some subdivisions that you like. In regards to building your own home, if you are looking in a subdivision with a few lots left, then it would be easier to try to pick a style that isn't exactly like your neighbor's home that falls within your budget. With return on investment after 5 years, it would certainly be much better if the home is a more custom built home than if it is a cookie cutter home that is still being built in the same or other subdivisions. If you think you would be moving in 5 years, then I wouldn't build (I may buy a new model home, but not build).

You mentioned craftsman style? The builder Steiner Home Ltd appears to be the most common builder that builds craftsman style homes and they have good options that start at $220,000 (not including lot prices). With your price-range and in the area that you are looking, you can definitely find newer semi-custom neighborhoods where there are maybe 5 floor plans with different elevations and minor changes to layouts.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2013, 09:10 AM

157 posts, read 403,013 times
I live in the Heron Lake subdivision. It's a great family area with the kids splash pad in the summer and the sled hill in the winter - I think you would like it. I think there are only about 5 scattered lots still available (some developer owned, some fore sale by owner) so you would be guaranteed not to have the same home plan as your own pop up all around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana