Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,676,119 times

Advertisements

I know its never been "nice" but I electively lived there for about 8 years while in my 20's because I needed a large lot for my dogs. Aside from some properties being poorly maintained and quite a bit of hillbilly yard art it really wasn't a bad place to live. No, my neighbors were not sophisticated but they were all hardworking or retired people who couldn't get enough for their homes to move elsewhere on a fixed income. There were some homes that were fairly nice and well maintained mixed in here and there but for the most part it was an economically depressed area. Last year when I drove through it was looking quite a bit worse overall IMHO.
Is it still a safe and quiet area for the most part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 11:27 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,496,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I know its never been "nice" but I electively lived there for about 8 years while in my 20's because I needed a large lot for my dogs. Aside from some properties being poorly maintained and quite a bit of hillbilly yard art it really wasn't a bad place to live. No, my neighbors were not sophisticated but they were all hardworking or retired people who couldn't get enough for their homes to move elsewhere on a fixed income. There were some homes that were fairly nice and well maintained mixed in here and there but for the most part it was an economically depressed area. Last year when I drove through it was looking quite a bit worse overall IMHO.
Is it still a safe and quiet area for the most part?
I assume you mean the unincorporated area of Calumet Township, right? If that's the case, then I would say that it is probably one of the areas of NWI that has seen the least change. I don't think it has gotten much worse or much better. It still has many long-time residents who never fled the area and don't plan too. It seems also as though many of their children stay in the area to especially if they never venture out of the area to receive formal education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana