Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:28 PM

10 posts, read 24,983 times

Advertisements

Wow, this would be great for the area. It seems to me that if they open one right where Schererville, Munster, Dyer, and St. John are, it would work well, given those demographics. I can tell you that in my neighborhood, we let each other knwo when one of us is planning a trip to Chicago to a Whole Foods and take orders, so there is a solid group from the get-go that would go over there. I hope it is true, plus it would certainly help the area. The Munster Jewel is way overpriced and you don't even get the WF quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,645 times
Speaking of Whole Foods, here's the feature article about them in Sunday's paper: What will Whole Foods do to area?

The wording and the fact that the article is titled "What will Whole Foods to do area" sure makes it sound like a sure thing. As with anything related to Shops on Main, I'm always naturally skeptical until they actually break ground on the building, but this appears to be a Go.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:36 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,099 times
Default Shops on Main - Update!

The fifth anchor for Shops on Main is....Pier 1 Imports! Well, not surprised...Pier 1 is not bad...but this development seems to be mirroring the Merrillville Plaza and The Crossings at Hobart developments across the street from Southlake Mall (which in case you have not heard, has been sold to a new management company so that Westlake can focus on more profitable ventures).

Still waiting on some of the outlet announcements...hopefully they can get a Nordstrom Rack store in one of the outlots or in the Phase 2 area of the project! I could also see a bank branch such as Chase or Centier locating there too.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 09-18-2013 at 02:50 AM..

Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 PM

144 posts, read 182,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The fifth anchor for Shops on Main is....Pier 1 Imports! Well, not surprised...Pier 1 is not bad...but this development seems to be mirroring the Merrillville Plaza and The Crossings at Hobart developments across the street from Southlake Mall (which in case you have not heard, has been sold to a new management company so that Westlake can focus on more profitable ventures).

Still waiting on some of the outlet announcements...hopefully they can get a Nordstrom Rack store in one of the outlots or in the Phase 2 area of the project! I could also see a bank branch such as Chase or Centier locating there too.
Nordstrom Rack? Why not a full store? Lol

Old 09-18-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra<3 View Post
Nordstrom Rack? Why not a full store? Lol
A full-store in NWI would be nice. However, the Shops on Main development is completely anchored by discount stores. A full-line Nordstrom store would not only be out of place here, they wouldn't be interested in locating in that development. The best bet for a major retail anchor would be a JC Penney store as they have been more focused on locating in strip-centers (which this project basically is a slightly fancy version of) or lifestyle centers as opposed to traditional malls.

Demographics may still be questionable as well. At this point, we have to remain more realistic with what we can get. I would say that NWI can land even half of the options that the Orland/Tinley area in Illinois has (the most comparable suburban area to Munster, Highland, and the Tri-town area) then we would be in a good position. Orland/Tinley do not have a full-line Nordstrom location...we definitely wouldn't get one before them and they have higher overall income as well.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
A full-store in NWI would be nice. However, the Shops on Main development is completely anchored by discount stores. A full-line Nordstrom store would not only be out of place here, they wouldn't be interested in locating in that development. The best bet for a major retail anchor would be a JC Penney store as they have been more focused on locating in strip-centers (which this project basically is a slightly fancy version of) or lifestyle centers as opposed to traditional malls.

Demographics may still be questionable as well. At this point, we have to remain more realistic with what we can get. I would say that NWI can land even half of the options that the Orland/Tinley area in Illinois has (the most comparable suburban area to Munster, Highland, and the Tri-town area) then we would be in a good position. Orland/Tinley do not have a full-line Nordstrom location...we definitely wouldn't get one before them and they have higher overall income as well.
I was actually referring to the southlake area. Not Highland. To me, Highland and Schereville are more like neighborhood shopping districts instead of super-regional draws like Southlake, Orland, etc. The 41 strip IMO is like Halsted in Homewood or Cicero and Cal-Sag in Crestwood. I think the US 41 strip has enough stores already. There is plenty of available land on 30 east of the mall in Merrilville however.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra<3 View Post
I was actually referring to the southlake area. Not Highland. To me, Highland and Schereville are more like neighborhood shopping districts instead of super-regional draws like Southlake, Orland, etc. The 41 strip IMO is like Halsted in Homewood or Cicero and Cal-Sag in Crestwood. I think the US 41 strip has enough stores already. There is plenty of available land on 30 east of the mall in Merrilville however.
If Nordstrom were to locate in Merrillville/Hobart, it would either have to replace one of the existing anchors at Southlake (unless somehow, someway, they expanded the mall) or be part of a new shopping development which is highly unlikely. Yes, there is land, but there is not enough demand out there to build another mall. Also, the demographics of the Southlake area would not be able to support a Nordstrom store now and probably not in the future either. There is the proposed Centennial Village in Munster that would be a much better fit for a Nordstrom and even I don't think that one would locate there (and I've wanted a full-line Nordstrom in the area for a long time).

Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,523 times
Quote:

There likely isn't room anymore for a bigger retailer if Whole Foods actually comes into Main Street Shops. A Penney would need about 100,000 sq. ft. (that's what they have been taking lately). The Whole Foods needed a larger size then anything in the first phase (around 80,000 sq. ft if i remember right), so I imagine its going in that second phase area on the south end of the site.

The now dead Oak street project had a 100,000 sq. ft spot. That was the only real department store spot that was ever proposed. Main Street shops was designed to be without larger retailers, the draw being sit down restaurants. But since there weren't three way liquor licenses around for it,,,,,,, then the economy tanked......

Nordstrom has never shown any interest in N.W. Indiana............

Will be interesting what Starwood has in store (sorry bad pun) for Southlake. I hope they show more interest in Southlake Mall (I for one won't miss that stupid and confusing Westfield label) then Westfield ever did (not that they didn't do some stuff there). Hopefully Starwood will be a better landlord. Was in Orland Square (Simon owns that one) the other day, and I was thinking how Southlake could use some interior renov. Orland Square has come a long way and looks really nice right now.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
There likely isn't room anymore for a bigger retailer if Whole Foods actually comes into Main Street Shops. A Penney would need about 100,000 sq. ft. (that's what they have been taking lately). The Whole Foods needed a larger size then anything in the first phase (around 80,000 sq. ft if i remember right), so I imagine its going in that second phase area on the south end of the site.

The now dead Oak street project had a 100,000 sq. ft spot. That was the only real department store spot that was ever proposed. Main Street shops was designed to be without larger retailers, the draw being sit down restaurants. But since there weren't three way liquor licenses around for it,,,,,,, then the economy tanked......

Nordstrom has never shown any interest in N.W. Indiana............

Will be interesting what Starwood has in store (sorry bad pun) for Southlake. I hope they show more interest in Southlake Mall (I for one won't miss that stupid and confusing Westfield label) then Westfield ever did (not that they didn't do some stuff there). Hopefully Starwood will be a better landlord. Was in Orland Square (Simon owns that one) the other day, and I was thinking how Southlake could use some interior renov. Orland Square has come a long way and looks really nice right now.
Simon also owns River Oaks Center.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:54 PM

11 posts, read 34,922 times
Haven't done the research but I have heard from a few people now that whole foods is going to Englewood???!!!

Just read the article which mentions it as well. If Englewood can support whole foods than surely NWI can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana