Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Crown Point Community School district be redrawn to include the entire city?
Yes 21 72.41%
No 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 AM
dhk

5 posts, read 8,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
This sounds like a nice and modern development and a good use of revitalizing a blighted site:

C.P. commission endorses Porter Street Station
So I wonder what is the plan for the current residents of those units?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
So I wonder what is the plan for the current residents of those units?
They will have to move as their leases expire.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Exclamation Crown Point Galleria

Hopefully this project happens; however, I would be curious to know how area residents feel. I know that many residents fear that Crown Point would become another Merrillville with ANY type of shopping development. But this seems like very good news:

Stores, restaurants, hotels envisioned for proposed Crown Point lifestyle center

Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Hopefully this project happens; however, I would be curious to know how area residents feel. I know that many residents fear that Crown Point would become another Merrillville with ANY type of shopping development. But this seems like very good news:

Stores, restaurants, hotels envisioned for proposed Crown Point lifestyle center

I don't think a shopping development per se brings along a downfall, I think it's the combination of low paying jobs coupled with low cost housing. Wherever there is low cost housing in close proximity to jobs in the South burbs/NWI, a downfall is probably inevitable.

My advice to CP leaders would be to eliminate as much low cost housing as possible and replace it with upscale housing and/or office/shopping developments.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I don't think a shopping development per se brings along a downfall, I think it's the combination of low paying jobs coupled with low cost housing. Wherever there is low cost housing in close proximity to jobs in the South burbs/NWI, a downfall is probably inevitable.

My advice to CP leaders would be to eliminate as much low cost housing as possible and replace it with upscale housing and/or office/shopping developments.
Crown Point has way too much developable land for them to justify eliminating all low income housing. Also, much of the new housing is diverse in price. Something for almost anyone there. But what they need to avoid is overdevelopment of apartments.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:38 PM

255 posts, read 415,030 times
Quote:
Crown Point has way too much developable land for them to justify eliminating all low income housing. Also, much of the new housing is diverse in price. Something for almost anyone there. But what they need to avoid is overdevelopment of apartments.
I agree 100%. Crown Point can't become like Merrillville in the sense of apartments, and M-Ville has 2,000 units in the 5th Ward, west-southwest part of M-Ville. I do think the Crown Point Galleria project could provide a much needed boost to CP. I've said before, I want to see a Sonic come to CP, maybe in this development.

Another thing I think about Crown Point is that they shouldn't overdevelop the I-65 corridor with just retail-restaurant-hotel uses. Go after a large company to build a distribution facility at I-65 and US 231, like Metros tried to do with Gordon Foods 12-15 years ago. Talk to Fortune 500/1000 companies to possibly expand along the corridor. CP needs more well-paying jobs. The I-65 corridor could be Uran's make or break deal, in my opinion.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 AM

Default Update: Porter Street Station

The development looks like it will be nice and the best part is that it is the redevelopment of a run-down area of town. I know many people are upset because they feel that this is pushing out lower middle income families. However, Crown Point still has many other close-by areas to be able to rent out and there are still areas where you can buy condos in the CP school district for well under $90,000 for a 2 bedroom.

Anyway, this is the type of long-term development that CP needs, not more vinyl village sprawl. Even newer single-family home developments in the city core would be nice.

Plans advance for Crown Point townhomes

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 09-02-2014 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: added link to photograph

Old 10-16-2014, 06:41 AM

Default Update: Porter Street Station

Glad to see this moving along. Redevelopment of the core is always always always a good sign!

Indiana Avenue townhome plan endorsed

And speaking of redeveloping the core, if anyone has been to the downtown Gary area, a lot of changes are taking place. Buildings are coming down in blocks instead of sparsely and new buildings are going up. Just hope the new ones that go up are not cheaply done.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM

Exclamation Crown Point Galleria update

Crown Point signs off on upscale lifestyle center

Seems like this is moving forward nicely...of course, there will be issues here and there but I think everything will work out...just wish we could actually see what this place will look like!

Old 11-26-2014, 04:19 AM

Exclamation Galleria Center update

Pieces to Galleria Center falling into place

Hopefully we hear more about tenants soon. And it would be nice to see some renderings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana