Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 11,293 times

Advertisements

I am driving from Toledo to Elmhurst, Chicago. I am travelling in the late afternoon say around 3-5 pm.

Once I reach Portage, IN what is the best route to avoid traffic and delays. Google maps shows I-90 or I-80 or 294-the Tristate tollway. Is 294 better?

What are the towns in NWI where I can stop safely for gas, food and rest. Sorry not being offensive but just generally concerned since I read a lot about Gary, Indiana. Are there more towns that should be avoided.

I want to stop at Crown Point if possible. Is this a good place.

Any suggestions will be really useful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,628,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppy View Post
I am driving from Toledo to Elmhurst, Chicago. I am travelling in the late afternoon say around 3-5 pm.

Once I reach Portage, IN what is the best route to avoid traffic and delays. Google maps shows I-90 or I-80 or 294-the Tristate tollway. Is 294 better?

What are the towns in NWI where I can stop safely for gas, food and rest. Sorry not being offensive but just generally concerned since I read a lot about Gary, Indiana. Are there more towns that should be avoided.

Thanks

Stop in Chesterton.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,224,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppy View Post

Thanks
Crown Point is way out of your way from both I-90 and 80-94. You'd be adding a good 45 minutes at least to your trip going to Crown Point and back. I would also recommend Chesterton. It's the first town you hit in the Chicago metro area and it's safe, quiet, and has a good selection of restaurants. Both 90 and 94 run through Chesterton. Portage would actually be fine too.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,360,903 times
Are you going to be getting into the Chicago area between 3-5 or leaving Toledo at that time? If you're in the Chicago area at that time period you'll be in the beginning of rush hours (yes I mean hours).

If you've never driven in the Chicago area or do so infrequently, I would recommend 80-94 to 294. That could be because I've never been a fan of 290 (which you would probably have to use to get to Elmhurst if you go on 90) I was always a 294 fan, even with the increased tolls. I also think it's less likely to back-up during off hours compared to 90.

We've taken 80 out to 355 when going to some of the NW suburbs of Chicago. It's a pretty nice drive, but it's a bit out of your way.

Crown Point is way off track.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:40 PM

815 posts, read 3,000,320 times
From the Indiana toll road, just a mile or two past the Portage tollbooths take the Borman I80-I94 to Illinois. In Illinois it turns into I294 (its a toll road).

Take that to I290 going to Rockford. Watch closely at the signs, its very confusing! The ramp is long. You will know you are on I290 once you have gone around the cloverleaf.

You won't be on I290 long, less then a mile or so. You will basically get on 290 and then get right back off. St. Charles Rd going west takes you into Elmhurst.

Or if you are end point is closer to Roosevelt Rd. you can get off I294 there, instead of dealing with I290 at all. It will be the south end of town, but may be easier.

At that time of the day, its going to be impossible to avoid traffic. Roosevelt rd at that point is set up like an expressway. There is a exit on York Rd, one of the main roads in Elmhurst.

Last edited by richb; 11-16-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,597,648 times
I-294 is generally (much) faster any time of a day. Avoid any interstate going through downtown of Chicago if you can, except midnight - 5 am window. I-294 is a toll road though, since you don't have Ez-pass (I presume) you'll have to stop at 3 tolls or so. Cash toll lines tend to be rather slow at rush hour. If you want to avoid Chicago tolls then you must take I-90/I-94 & I-290 through downtown.

I-90 has service areas you can fuel at. It's somewhat cheaper to fuel in Indiana, cheaper yet to fuel in Ohio. I doubt you'll venture in the depth of Gary by taking an exit to fuel, and people do live in Gary and generally they tend not to bite strangers who stopped to fuel in the proximity of interstates. I-80/I-94, exit 6, Burr St., has two major chain travel centers (formerly known as truck stops) TA and Pilot on the north side off interstate, they sell gas. Mr Fuel and some other local gas station is on the south side off interstate. Mr Fuel is newest of them all and not as busy. I believe TA and Pilot have security officers patrolling isles of the junk food 24/7. I think your chances to get hurt in a wreck while driving on I-90 a few thousands times higher than your chances to get hurt when fueling at those locations.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 11,293 times
Default Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your immediate response. Your tips, directions, and details will be very useful to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana