Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 PM

207 posts, read 702,952 times

Advertisements

Saturday I'm heading there to help my friend who recently moved from Benton Harbor, MI look for apartments (it may help; she's African American, but I'm white) in East Chicago, which is maybe 25 miles to Downtown Chicago. What's the take on this place? Prominante Ethnicity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Lots of folks forget...

...that our benevolent hosts also have a very comprehensive resource of statistical data: https://www.city-data.com/city/East-Chicago-Indiana.html

50%+ Hispanic 40 some % Black..

Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanRabbitt View Post
Saturday I'm heading there to help my friend who recently moved from Benton Harbor, MI look for apartments (it may help; she's African American, but I'm white) in East Chicago, which is maybe 25 miles to Downtown Chicago. What's the take on this place? Prominante Ethnicity?
I'll shoot you straight (pun intended). As gangs, drugs, and rental units are very prevalent in the town, East Chicago has very high crime. The politicians are still as corrupt as any and the schools are abysmal. The racial makeup is close to evenly split, Hispanics and African Americans, so your friend would fit in in that regard. That said, if your friend doesn't care about the schools and if she minds her own business and stays out of trouble, she'll probably be just fine in East Chicago. As she should be anywhere, but moreso in a town like East Chicago, I would just recommend that she always be extra cautious when by herself outside of her apartment. On the positive side, East Chicago certainly has its great perks with its location so close to Chicago and to Lake Michigan, that's for sure. Best of luck to your friend.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I'll shoot you straight (pun intended). As gangs, drugs, and rental units are very prevalent in the town, East Chicago has very high crime. The politicians are still as corrupt as any and the schools are abysmal. The racial makeup is close to evenly split, Hispanics and African Americans, so your friend would fit in in that regard. That said, if your friend doesn't care about the schools and if she minds her own business and stays out of trouble, she'll probably be just fine in East Chicago. As she should be anywhere, but moreso in a town like East Chicago, I would just recommend that she always be extra cautious when by herself outside of her apartment. On the positive side, East Chicago certainly has its great perks with its location so close to Chicago and to Lake Michigan, that's for sure. Best of luck to your friend.
she's single, no relationship, no kids (doesn't plan on having any). But here's a good one: East Chicago vs Gary; which is worst and why

Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
she's single, no relationship, no kids (doesn't plan on having any). But here's a good one: East Chicago vs Gary; which is worst and why
As chet said, city-data.com is your friend.

https://www.city-data.com/city/East-Chicago-Indiana.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Gary-Indiana.html

Gary is hands down the more dangerous of the two in terms of violent crime. Rape, murder, robbery and assault are all far higher in Gary than E. Chicago.

However thefts have consistently been higher in East Chicago than Gary during the past decade (3x more prevalent in E. Chicago than Gary in 2010), and in 2010 East Chicago also had more burglaries than Gary.

Overall though, East Chicago is the "safer" of the two though please note I use that term in a very relative sense. ETA: And a lot depends on where in Gary or E. Chicago are. The Miller Beach area of Gary for example is far safer than anywhere in E. Chicago as far as I know.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 AM
pcg

98 posts, read 377,478 times
You will do your friend a great favor by driving her around, in the daytime it is safer, East Chicago, Gary, Hammond, and points south. Just look around as you drive the neighborhoods she would consider living in. Look at the surrounding areas as well. Filth, delapidated buildings, undesirables walking the streets, shopping areas. Then let her make the decision. Personally I would steer anyone away from EC or Gary unless they truly know what they are doing. She will blend in if she is black, but that only works for a while. Highland, Munster, Griffith are much safer places to live. Is she going to commute to Chicago for work? Train stations are close easy drives from Highland and Hammond as well.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:33 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
If she values personal safety and wants to live in a less stressful environment where she won't have to worry if her apt. or home is going to be broken into while she's at work, I'd steer clear of Gary and EC ... if she must live in northern lake county, check out Whiting too. It's safer than the other 2.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 PM

So, Saturday We went and looked. That was the most creepy and disgusting place I've seen in a while. Despite being 40% Black, I felt like it was the Hispanic version of Gary, Indiana. Nothing but filth and crappy (Shotgun) homes and apartment complexes. She decided to try for Munster or Whiting; for her safety. I was afraid that I was going to be attacked for being white & driving a car. Seeing open drug dealing at 12 in the afternoon wasn't a big deal to me (I've seen it a lot before in some other places I've been) but seeing 2 beatings in less than an hour and a car burglary occuring told me never go back.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
So, Saturday We went and looked. That was the most creepy and disgusting place I've seen in a while. Despite being 40% Black, I felt it was the Hispanic version of Gary, Indiana. Nothing but filth and crappy homes and apartment complexes. She decided to try for Munster or Whiting; for her safety. Never again will I go back.
She may also want to check out South Hammond/Hessville area. It's definitely a step up from its northern neighbors. Schools are still lackluster, but if that's not a concern for your friend then it may be an option.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
She may also want to check out South Hammond/Hessville area. It's definitely a step up from its northern neighbors. Schools are still lackluster, but if that's not a concern for your friend then it may be an option.
ok, I'll give her a call for these areas too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana