Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM

24 posts, read 85,312 times

Advertisements

What I've gathered - Pros
  • It's bounded by the Indiana Dunes, Marquette Park and Lake Michigan
  • It's the closest "beach" community to Chicago
  • It's not exclusively residential, nor does it appear to be "exclusive" as in money or race
  • Mix of housing...noticeable amount of modest mid-century modern
  • Major renovations going on a Marquette Park
  • Active community organization
  • Active garden club
  • Affordable
What I've gathered - Cons
  • It's burdened by its formal association - politically, tax-wise, and aura-wise - with Gary
  • Steel mill to the west
  • Google street view indicates a street/sidewalk infrastructure that hasn't been kept up well
We live in downtown Indy and have been throwing around the idea of a lake house. There are reservoir type lakes closer, but when I saw Lake Michigan for the first time a few years ago, I was absolutely gobsmacked by the beauty of the water and the dunes, and it's my preference in spite of the distance.

Miller Beach seems to embody so much of what I love: Lake Michigan, abundance of parks, a vibe that's more downtown Indy than Carmel...is it really that good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 03:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
You are mistaken if you believe that downtown Gary has "an urban vibe". It is a highly dysfunctional / derelict area, probably more like the nightmarish scenarios one sees in RoboCop or Mad Max than even Detroit MI, no real economic base to speak of -- desolate and unsafe for even criminals. Folks that endure Miller Beach almost certainly work rather far away and do not consider it a resort community so much as an oddity...

The specifics of Miller Beach itself are seperate from the core of Gary but in all honesty if you want something that has far less risk of doom and some of the same industrial grit you'd be better off in Michigan City IN or someplace like St. Joe or Benton Harbor MI . Of course prices are higher but then so too is the stress of day-to-day living lower...

Old 11-27-2012, 05:02 PM

I do not want a resort community. I have not stated a characterization of downtown Gary nor am I looking to live there.

Data does not paint Miller Beach as a place with risk of doom or greater stress of day-to-day living:
Gary, 46403 crimes - Trulia.com

I have looked into other towns/cities as well. Ogden Dunes seems to have a nice sense of community but I do not like that it is exclusively residential. Dune Acres - also exclusively residential and exclusive in the sense of keeping outsiders outside. Beverly Shores - exclusively residential, thoughtful planning with regard to the environment, old money aura. Michigan City is about as far east as I want to look, and I do like the fact that it's a city, but I don't sense a "there" there.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:30 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzclara View Post
I do not want a resort community. I have not stated a characterization of downtown Gary nor am I looking to live there.

Data does not paint Miller Beach as a place with risk of doom or greater stress of day-to-day living:
Gary, 46403 crimes - Trulia.com

I have looked into other towns/cities as well. Ogden Dunes seems to have a nice sense of community but I do not like that it is exclusively residential. Dune Acres - also exclusively residential and exclusive in the sense of keeping outsiders outside. Beverly Shores - exclusively residential, thoughtful planning with regard to the environment, old money aura. Michigan City is about as far east as I want to look, and I do like the fact that it's a city, but I don't sense a "there" there.
Miller Beach has intrigued me as well. I'm not a native of Miller Beach but I am a native of NWI so my perspective is also from someone on the outside looking in.

Miller never hit rock bottom quite the way the rest of Gary did. And if Gary ever rebounds (and that's still a big if), Miller will be the first to reap the benefits. Miller is a unique place in NWI in several ways, mostly because of its dichotomous nature, some aspects of which you touched on. On one hand it has all the negative connotations of its formal association with Gary and the mills emitting all sorts of ugliness. On the other hand, you have some astounding, incredibly rare wildlife in this area, much of which is found almost nowhere else in the Midwest (or the country), you have spectacular lakefront properties which are often priced considerably lower than what you'd find elsewhere on the shore, and a very close proximity to downtown Chicago.

Another way it's an oddity is that despite white flight, Miller is one of the only truly integrated areas of the entire region. I think its lakefront location and small-town feel has attracted and retained people of all races and they seem to coexist without the kind of tension you see elsewhere. At least that's how it appears on the outside.

I get what you are saying how Miller is different than Ogden Dunes, Beverly Shores, and the other beach communities lining the South Shore. While those areas are more like enclaves within the protected parklands of the National Lakeshore, Miller is still an extension of the contiguous area of Gary/Hammond/E. Chicago. Miller has an arts district, albeit fledgling at the moment, a farmers market, several restaurants, etc. You don't really see that along the lake until you start getting into Michigan City and New Buffalo. Moreover, the citizenry of the area really seems to want to help Miller reinvent itself. It makes me optimistic for Miller's future.

I read this article a few months ago - it's worth reading if you're interested in the area. I'd love to hear from a Miller Beach native but I don't think to date I've come across any such posts here on city-data.

Placemaking, makeovers renewing Miller Beach as a premier destination in Northwest Indiana — Metropolitan Planning Council

Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM

My thoughts exactly. Negative connotations coupled with rare wildlife, spectacular lakeside location, proximity to Chicago yet real estate priced lower than anywhere I've seen along NW IN/SW MI shore. It facilitated integration rather than resorting to flight and is not an isolated enclave while maintaining an identity apart from Gary.

Thanks for the link to the article.

Here's another good resource I've found. I'm duly impressed by their list of achievements and current activities. Newsletters are chock-full of detailed information.

Miller Citizens Corporation - Improving your Quality of Life... Be Part of It

Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 12,168 times
I live in Miller Beach -- not in the trendy part by the beach either, but down along the gritty boundary with Gary proper -- and I heartily recommend it. I am a short walk from a decent grocery store, two pharmacies, Miller Woods, and the South Shore train station, and a short bike ride from the beach.

(If you want to know more about Miller Woods, see this little photo essay: Trails To Life Go Up: Surprise! Hiking in Gary's Miller Beach )

- Although the risk of crime is certainly non-zero, I take long walks with my dog almost every night (going on 3 years) and have never had any trouble. I've probably had more occasion to be worried about coyotes than humans.

- In terms of the community, the Pop-Up Art events, the other projects of the Historical Society and Arts District, and the Miller Beach Farmers Market (all fairly recent innovations) have done a lot for the local vibe. Although the downtown has indisputably seen better days, there are a number of small art galleries and a several surprisingly excellent places to eat in the neighborhood.

Pop-Up Art

Miller Beach Farmers Market

- In terms of housing stock, there are some dilapidated bits, but most parts of Miller Beach are pretty well-kept. In the area between the beachside and the downtown, there are a lot of homes in the "Mid-Century Modern" style, if that happens to be something you're interested in. Here's a blog by someone who's been working on one of those homes:

Miller Beach Modern

- The MCC, mentioned by luzclara above, is a real standout organization (it has been around for a number of decades, and has played a major role in keeping Miller's race relations so comparatively cordial), and definitely a excellent place to get more information about the community.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:38 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Thanks for your feedback and the links, shenderson88 - it's always great to hear from people who actually live in the communities discussed on the forum. I'm looking forward to my next visit to Miller. In terms of the people who live in Miller nowadays (excluding those who just own vacation homes there), would you say it's still mostly long-term residents or recent transplants? And do they work in the immediate area or do they commute - i.e. to Chicago?

Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 30,357 times
In response to the question, most people who own properties in Miller live there full time. However, quite a few of the homes that are on or close to the lake are owned by "Chicago people", that is, people from the city who go to Miller to enjoy the beach and have a "staycation". The lakefront area seems to steadily improve on slight increments from year to year. Many feel that Miller should have a better chance to move beyond incremental change, and the overall problems in Gary drag that progress down. Also most of the streets that lead into Miller area are plagued with abandoned businesses, strip joints, etc unless you come in from the east on 12.

Even so, the National Park, gorgeous lakefront, and family friendly beaches are attributes that continue to shine brightly on Miller. A twenty plus million dollar rehab of the lake front Marquette Park and banquet facility have a positive effect. And some nice restaurants have moved back into the little Lake St. downtown area which is working to reinvent itself as a creative district. The Shelby St restaurants are thriving with The Perk being an amazing community gathering point for coffee and breakfast.

Miller is comfortable as it gets racially and is also gay friendly. Its diversity makes it comfortable for everyone. There is a genuine community spirit in Miller that shows in the involvement of many citizen groups and the National Park is a great asset and positive influence. The vibe on the lakefront is relaxed and friendly in the summer sun. All of these pluses spur continued and steady investment in properties on and adjacent to the lakefront.

Perhaps Gary will one day build that marina they keep talking about and place it on Lake St. This could help put Miller back on the mind of those who want to invest in scarce Great Lakes beach front property at some of lowest prices anywhere within commuting distance to Chicago.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
Don't discount communities like Long Beach or Pines closer to the Michigan border.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblack02 View Post
In response to the question, most people who own properties in Miller live there full time. However, quite a few of the homes that are on or close to the lake are owned by "Chicago people", that is, people from the city who go to Miller to enjoy the beach and have a "staycation". The lakefront area seems to steadily improve on slight increments from year to year. Many feel that Miller should have a better chance to move beyond incremental change, and the overall problems in Gary drag that progress down. Also most of the streets that lead into Miller area are plagued with abandoned businesses, strip joints, etc unless you come in from the east on 12.

Even so, the National Park, gorgeous lakefront, and family friendly beaches are attributes that continue to shine brightly on Miller. A twenty plus million dollar rehab of the lake front Marquette Park and banquet facility have a positive effect. And some nice restaurants have moved back into the little Lake St. downtown area which is working to reinvent itself as a creative district. The Shelby St restaurants are thriving with The Perk being an amazing community gathering point for coffee and breakfast.

Miller is comfortable as it gets racially and is also gay friendly. Its diversity makes it comfortable for everyone. There is a genuine community spirit in Miller that shows in the involvement of many citizen groups and the National Park is a great asset and positive influence. The vibe on the lakefront is relaxed and friendly in the summer sun. All of these pluses spur continued and steady investment in properties on and adjacent to the lakefront.

Perhaps Gary will one day build that marina they keep talking about and place it on Lake St. This could help put Miller back on the mind of those who want to invest in scarce Great Lakes beach front property at some of lowest prices anywhere within commuting distance to Chicago.
Wouldn't call miller gay friendly as the black community traditionally just isn't. The city doesn't own enough land around lake street beach for a marina. Wells st beach west to approx. 100ft west of the lsb boat launch is owned by the city. The rest is indiana dunes and they haven't been to keen on that idea. Only true viable option is buffington harbor but that puts it in serious competition with hammond and ec marinas with very little road access. Then there's marquette park but that would definitely take away from its natural beauty.

Living in miller is great east of grand blvd and north of 3rd. It gets sketchy close to lake st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana