Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times

Advertisements

College Rankings - Top Ranked Universities in Indiana - Highest Safety Rating - StateUniversity.com

Can the safest college campus in the state of Indiana actually be in Gary, its worst city? Hmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
IU-Gary and IUPUI ahead of the University of Southern Indiana?

No way.

Not buying it.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 AM

157 posts, read 403,149 times
I can believe it. I went there and felt very safe. I remember seeing Gary PD, IUN campus police, Indiana State troopers, and Lake County sherrifs patrolling nonstop. One thing that may be skewing the figures though is the absence of dorms and student housing at IUN vs the other schools on the list since IUN is strictly a commuter school and the others probably see much more police activity since students are there 24/7.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,277 times
I'd believe it. That list isn't an apples to apples comparison really though, with some of those schools being satellite campuses and some being spots where students live on the campus. At main campuses in Bloomington, Lafayette, etc., you have a lot more people hanging out, socializing, getting drunk late at night and walking around which make them easier targets. People may stay on the IUN Gary campus to study between classes, but there's not much hanging out, and certainly not at night. Also, a lot of the other towns where these campuses are at (Marion, New Albany, Terre Haute) aren't exactly lily white perfect suburbs either. They are more middle to low income areas that have their fare share of crime problems as is.

I wonder why the Purdue satellite campuses aren't on here? Purdue Cal or Purdue North Central? I would bet that PNC would be safest of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana