Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,084,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittkid View Post
We don't have kids right now but are planning for some in about a year so we would like to be in a good school district. It would be nice to be near parks but not a must. We would like at least a 3 bedroom 2 bath home. It would be better to have a house that wouldn't need alot of work because I will be working alot. My wife will be leaving her job for the move and looking for something when we get settled in the area, but she would like to live in a safe place. Thanks for your suggestions.
Again - you should ask this question in the IL forums as well. Gary is very close to the state line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,525,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Again - you should ask this question in the IL forums as well. Gary is very close to the state line.
As pointed out before the OP is looking for the best bang for their buck.
150k affordable homes.
Indiana offers that. in Illinois you have to pay insane property taxes and a higher cost of living.
Most people like me/The OP and the countless people fleeing Illinois prefer the 1% capped property taxes.
Why spend more in Illinois when you can get the same and even better in Indiana? Mind the fact your still cose to Chicago.
Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,084,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
As pointed out before the OP is looking for the best bang for their buck.
150k affordable homes.
Indiana offers that. in Illinois you have to pay insane property taxes and a higher cost of living.
Most people like me/The OP and the countless people fleeing Illinois prefer the 1% capped property taxes.
Why spend more in Illinois when you can get the same and even better in Indiana? Mind the fact your still cose to Chicago.
Sounds like a no brainer to me.
And that's your opinion about IL. I am not actually recommending IL here. I am recommending the collection of more info and CONSIDERING other options.. And other opinions.

And that's not really why people are fleeing the south suburbs in IL and moving to NWI, anyway.. People from Oak Brook aren't fleeing IL to move to Indiana..

Last edited by urza216; 02-26-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 PM

23 posts, read 55,525 times
Thank you Urza but we have already ruled IL out. I appreciate your suggestion though. I am hoping to hear the benifits of living in certain areas over others.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 AM

811 posts, read 2,342,125 times
Quote:
We don't have kids right now but are planning for some in about a year so we would like to be in a good school district. It would be nice to be near parks but not a must. We would like at least a 3 bedroom 2 bath home. It would be better to have a house that wouldn't need alot of work because I will be working alot. My wife will be leaving her job for the move and looking for something when we get settled in the area, but she would like to live in a safe place. Thanks for your suggestions.
I think that Chesterton and Crown Point are both good options for you. Both are at most 30 mins from Gary and are nice safe towns. I did a quick search and it looks like there are options for you at the 3 bed 2 bath level at $150,000 in both towns. They may be older homes but you do have options. Good luck with your search.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 PM

23 posts, read 55,525 times
I am also wondering about taxes, I've heard that Porter county taxes are less than Lake County. Can anybody explain this more?

Old 03-02-2013, 09:37 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,525,623 times
Quote:
I am also wondering about taxes, I've heard that Porter county taxes are less than Lake County. Can anybody explain this more?
Lake county is the only county in Indiana that doesnt have the optional income tax. so i dont see how porter county can have lower taxes.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 AM

815 posts, read 3,003,176 times
Pittkids is asking about property taxes not income taxes. Yes, Lake county doesn't have the county income tax that Porter has. However that probably won't last much longer. The state is leaning on Lake county hard to have one, since its the only county that hasn't added the county income tax. And many on the county council want the extra revenue it would bring since they want to keep spending money at the level they have been. The days of the no county income tax are short.........

Generally Porter county property taxes will be lower. But not always. It depends on each house to be honest. Some houses are over assessed (so they need to appeal their tax) so they will be paying more just because of that. Porter County doesn't have all the spending that Lake County has so that's the reason for lower property taxes. I won't go into the reasons why because it will make this thread devolve into a political fight.

Primary houses (your main residence) are not to pay more then 1% of the assessed market value of the real estate (no matter where in the state)per year. Its now in the states constitution. So it will slow increases in property taxes. Unless property values rise quickly (which has never happened here, and is unlikely) the tax cannot increase quickly.

Some houses are paying less then the 1% because the towns don't have to charge the full 1% (yes, they do exist). However that is not evenly spread even in the same town! That probably won't last much longer either, so the saving may only last a year or two. There are so many homes where they will have to lower the tax to get it under the 1%, so the ones below will likely be moving up.

Some towns will be legally over the 1% due to the amount of debt they carry. Or people vote yes on projects in town (like schools or rec centers) Until those are paid off and/or people start defeating projects the tax can be over the 1%.

Sorry its confusing, but that's government for you...........

Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM

21 posts, read 42,092 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that homeowners insurance and car insurance are more expensive in Lake County, too. It was a while ago but I seem to remember a big increase when I moved from Valpo to Merrillville.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,752,904 times
Homeowner & auto insurance is significantly higher in Lake County. The further North you live, the more you'll pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana