Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM

23 posts, read 55,598 times

Advertisements

We are looking to purchase a home in NWI. I will be working in Gary IN but do not want to live there or in Merrillville. I have heard that Valparazo and Crown Point are good places to live, but I want the good that bad and ugly on all places within 30-45 minutes of Gary. Our Housing budget is in the $150,000 range so please keep this in mind with any sugestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,097,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittkid View Post
We are looking to purchase a home in NWI. I will be working in Gary IN but do not want to live there or in Merrillville. I have heard that Valparazo and Crown Point are good places to live, but I want the good that bad and ugly on all places within 30-45 minutes of Gary. Our Housing budget is in the $150,000 range so please keep this in mind with any sugestions.
Well, I live in Flossmoor, IL and work in Gary. My commute is a little less than a half hour.

Maybe you should ask this question on the Illinois forums too (Chicago and Chicago Suburbs). 45 minutes will get you all the way to Orland Park heading west on I-80..

Even Hyde Park in Chicago is an option.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,814,795 times
not for $150K, urza.

You could look in Chesterton too. It's closer to Gary than Valparaiso.

Good bad and ugly ... well, the good is that NWI is affordable. Go to Home - Greater Northwest Indiana Association of REALTORS and do a home search. That's always the best place to start

the bad .... hmmmm ... the weather sometimes? Lake effect snows can get gnarly, but you deal with it. Never bothered me much.

the ugly ... having to go to Gary every day.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:42 AM

2,164 posts, read 5,518,976 times
Quote:
For your budget, I would go with Chesterton, Hobart (make sure you are in the Hobart school district), or Crown Point (make sure you are in the CP school district which is south of 101st Ave). You would be able to get somewhat newer homes in these areas with probably being able to get the newest in Hobart.

If you don't mind a little older of a home, try Highland, IN. It's a very safe mature suburb. The schools are okay and there are good retail options in the southwest side of town. It is also convenient to the expressway.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2013, 06:22 AM

811 posts, read 2,346,655 times
Quote:
Before giving specific recommendations I think it would be most helpful to get some more information from you. Do you have kids? Are schools a priority? Is a town's parks dept. something your family would utilize? How big of a home are you looking for? Number of beds, bath or sq ft. Can it be an older home with renovations needed? There are plenty of towns that have decent houses at $150k, but the more desirable the town the smaller the home you'll get for that price point. Does your spouse work nearby or and does she have a certain time limit that she'd like to stay within? I think these need to be answered first before recommending areas to you.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,097,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
not for $150K, urza.
Not necessarily..

Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,761,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Not necessarily..

The cost of living is lower in Indiana. The sales tax is lower, property taxes, homeowner & car insurance, gasoline, etc, etc. I've lived in both States, I speak from experience.

I'd go with Porter County, Chesterton in particular. Nice small town, closer to work.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM

815 posts, read 3,007,156 times
I would not touch Illinois with a ten foot pole right now. The property taxes would be double, and for all that extra money, the school districts will be not as good. Plus if you live in Illinois and work in Indiana, you will have to file income taxes in both states.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM

23 posts, read 55,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Before giving specific recommendations I think it would be most helpful to get some more information from you. Do you have kids? Are schools a priority? Is a town's parks dept. something your family would utilize? How big of a home are you looking for? Number of beds, bath or sq ft. Can it be an older home with renovations needed? There are plenty of towns that have decent houses at $150k, but the more desirable the town the smaller the home you'll get for that price point. Does your spouse work nearby or and does she have a certain time limit that she'd like to stay within? I think these need to be answered first before recommending areas to you.

We don't have kids right now but are planning for some in about a year so we would like to be in a good school district. It would be nice to be near parks but not a must. We would like at least a 3 bedroom 2 bath home. It would be better to have a house that wouldn't need alot of work because I will be working alot. My wife will be leaving her job for the move and looking for something when we get settled in the area, but she would like to live in a safe place. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,616,870 times
I would agree with Chesterton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana