Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:34 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times

Advertisements

While I think this is a good idea considering that this would also offer supportive services (often-which are mandatory for residents in these settings to participate in if they want to live there), I could understand the concerns listed in this article. I am curious to also see how the public will react especially at the hearings. While Valparaiso is generally affordable for home-buyers and some apartment renters, popularity of the city and growth seems to have driven up some prices on lower-end places and the rate of poverty in Porter County is higher than people think (especially for folks recovering from addiction):

Here is the Chicago Tribune article: Valparaiso apartment project moves forward

Here is The Times article: Valpo council considers donating land for affordable housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 05:29 AM

Default Upscale Condo/Townhome - St. Paul Square

Interesting! The plan looks nice. But I already saw very pessimistic comments online about "oh they always start off upscale" and "future section 8 city" as well as the common "time to move further south/east"

Plans presented for upscale condo/townhome development in Valparaiso

Imagine how much nicer and more stable some areas would be if people didn't move away every 10 years...

I think this is a great project especially because its in the downtown area of Valpo. It's not like its on the outskirts. And even then, Lakes of Valparaiso is a much larger project and on the outskirts and seems to be doing very well although long-term, I do understand SOME concern with large apartment complexes. But St. Paul Square will not be anything as massive as Lake of Valparaiso or The Mansards (which btw has been renamed Park West).

Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 AM

Default St. Paul Square and Bus Transit Hub - Updates

Valpo council approves abatement for St. Paul Square project

Valparaiso moving ahead with creating transit hub adjacent to downtown

Both great things going on in Valpo. Looking forward to the finished products of both projects!

Old 01-29-2022, 02:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Wondering if anyone has heard about this and has any thoughts.

Apparently there’s been quite a bit of backlash to this project in the local community.

https://www.insideindianabusiness.co...downtown-valpo

Old 02-15-2022, 08:14 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,820 times
I live in Valpo. I really like living here. In my opinion, the downtown is amazing, with great places to eat and drink. I eat out pretty regularly and make it a point to try a lot of the different restaurants. I am consistently impressed.

From my perspective, the town faces at least three significant challenges.

First, Valpo has lost some jobs in the last few years, with companies like Urschel and McGill closing or moving. There is still a good foundation of decent companies in Valpo and some other companies planning on coming in (Journeyman Distillery), but keeping decent jobs in the area is a challenge.

2nd, parking downtown can be a challenge. One of the apartment/condo developments on the east end of downtown is supposed to include a parking garage, but I am not sure it will make up of the any of the lost spaces from parking lots being torn up to build the apartments, or even be enough to cover the parking needs of the new tennents.

Lastly, Valpo is "cut in two' several times a day by trains coming through just south of Evans road. There in only one street with a bridge. Other than that everyone trying to go north or south is just stuck.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:37 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Wondering if anyone has heard about this and has any thoughts.

Apparently there’s been quite a bit of backlash to this project in the local community.

https://www.insideindianabusiness.co...downtown-valpo
I'm concerned about the building of such a large complex in a relatively small space. Lincolnway is already congested with traffic all day, every day. It's often unsafe for pedestrians to cross Lincolnway and its side streets, even with a "walk" signal. I know two people who, as pedestrians, were plowed down by cars turning off Lincolnway. Both friends suffered fairly severe and permanent injuries. These incidents happened a couple years apart. I walk downtown a lot and see quite a few close calls. Before they build that new complex, something should be done to improve traffic flow through the entire downtown area.

Other than the traffic congestion, I love pretty much everything about Valpo. I grew up in Gary and moved to Valpo in 1987. The improvements made throughout the city in the past 35 years are remarkable. The downtown is thriving, despite the challenges of COVID during the past two years. I envision lots of good things to come.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana