Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,768 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss St. John from the mix either. Yes, there's a strong catholic community in the town (due to SJE) but the residents around there are still rather open and tolerant. The population is relatively younger and mainly south burbs Illinois transplants. I know several people and a few couples in St. John that are gay and have no issues with any of the residents out there. Honestly, just being a respectful neighbor is all that anybody really cares about. Now, I second on not heading to Cedar Lake. Just stay north of 231 and south of 80/94 and you're good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,828 times
Default NWI living

My partner and I are also looking in the area--he will work in chicago and I will be in Hobart. Curious where you decided to live. We are looking at Valparaiso--I little farther from Chicago but a little more going on in town.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:39 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fesen View Post
My partner and I are also looking in the area--he will work in chicago and I will be in Hobart. Curious where you decided to live. We are looking at Valparaiso--I little farther from Chicago but a little more going on in town.
As far as Valparaiso, it depends. IN GENERAL, I would say either the downtown area (close to the University) or in a newly established subdivision. In general, the more prosperous the neighborhood, the less likely you are going to encounter any overt discrimination. Not saying it does not happen in more upscale neighborhoods, but more middle class, lower class areas of Valpo/Porter County will probably be less accepting...like South Haven for example.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
I'd also suggest Miller Beach, easily the most diverse and open community in the region. PLus an easy commute from the South Shore stop. Plus from what I hear, the area is poised for a pretty strong resurgence, lots of new energy in the area.

Pop-Up Art 2011 transforms empty storefronts - 1768 - Gay Lesbian Bi Trans News Archive - Windy City Times

Old 11-04-2013, 12:16 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirledPeas View Post
I lived in Schererville for about 15 years until last November. I'm straight but have gay friends. I wouldn't term Schererville gay-friendly so much as gay-tolerant or -neutral -- you won't see any Pride Parades, but you also shouldn't be harassed. Being a good neighbor, whether you own or rent, will be more important than your orientation.

For the most part, the conservatism in Schererville is more sociological (common sense midwestern) than religious. Keep in mind, though, that there is a strong evangelical Baptist presence in the area with the Hyles-Anderson College (the affiliated megachurch is seeking its way after the pastor was convicted of having sex with an underage church member). There's also a small, non-affiliated evangelical Baptist church in Schererville that caused an uproar about ten years ago by putting an anti-gay slogan on their church sign. Many residents objected (a good thing). The pastor back then is no longer with the church, and I haven't heard a peep about them in many years.

I wouldn't move any further south than Schererville. There's a strong redneck presence the further you drive down US-41, and residents there are on high alert to prevent encroachment of what they see as the evils of city-living.

Schererville is a nice place to live and raise a family. It's a bit on the dull side for a single person, but you have access to Chicago amenities and nightlife options (though driving is a must, and there is a visible police presence on main thoroughfares to crack down on drunk driving).
THIS^^^^

You should be fine as long as long as you absolutely avoid hillbilly and less sophiticated areas.
With that being said if you are young living Downtown Wrigleyville/ Lincoln Park/Wicker Park will be well worth your money due to the social/fun factor. Great neighborhoods for ANYONE young and single!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:45 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvida42 View Post
You know, I second Miller Beach. It's a fun, funky area - reminds me a bit of East Rogers Park in Chicago - beautiful and mixed. If you've got children, though, I'd be cautious to move over there: that's why we didn't move there, actually. I live in Munster, and it's a pretty open-minded town, too. There are some nice pockets in Hammond if schools aren't important to you, and you might find it a bit more lively than Munster/Dyer/Schererville, which are really two-cars-and-a-mortgage-and-soccer league kind of towns, god bless 'em. Good luck!

You might also look into Chesterton and Valparaiso, but they're a bit farther out.
If you go with Porter County, I think Chesterton/Porter should get the nod because of its proximity to Interstate 94 and the South Shore train station. You could live in downtown Chesterton and be 5 minutes from the Indiana 49 / Interstate 94 ramp (or drive another 5 minutes to catch the Tollway/Skyway.)

When I was living there, I felt like I had the benefits of NWI (art and theater community, family friendly, parades, high school football on Friday nights, safe area, independently owned cafes and restaurants, the European Market) but still felt very connected to Chicago. Plus you're under 10 minutes from the Dunes, which is awesome.

Valparaiso is a little off, I think. It's evolving, its becoming more diverse, and its gradually getting built out with the full array of chain stores, restaurants, and big box stores. But it has a real feel of stagnancy in some parts, and I've never found Valpo people to be especially friendly. Downtown Valpo is interesting, but you have to remember that VU is a private university and not a public one. It doesn't have the kind of energy or liberalism associated with typical college towns.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:07 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewnrb View Post
I will be commuting to Chicago for work.
If "gay friendliness" is important, why aren't you moving to Chicago? There's a huge gays scene there. If "gay friendliness" in your neighborhood isn't actually that important, why aren't you settling down in an Illinois suburb where gay marriage and gay adoption are 100% legal? If your sexuality is a factor AT ALL in the neighborhood you choose, it's peculiar that you'd be dead set on NWI in the first place..

Homosexuals are second class citizens in Indiana. Illinois has caught up to the 21st century but I wouldn't count on Indiana catching up any time in the next decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Every town will have some lunatics
This is unfortunate because unlike Illinois, there are NO hate crime laws or discrimination laws that address sexual orientation in Indiana. All it takes is one lunatic to discriminate or commit a hate crime and Indiana law is on the lunatic's side. At least the law is on your side if you move to a conservative community in Illinois..

Last edited by urza216; 11-24-2013 at 04:59 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 02:06 AM

3 posts, read 10,259 times
I would suggest South Bend, they are a pretty Democratic viewed city and open to things like this. There have been quite a few more movements in South Bend in 2013 over this topic, despite Indiana being highly conservative, it doesn't mean the entire state is, South Bend is probably one of the most Democratic areas in the state, and is the hub for Chicago travel between Indiana and Illinois.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 PM

11 posts, read 20,203 times
I got multiple gay neighbors, I think 3 gay households on my block in here in Miller, in Gary

They're all White. 1 is younger the others are like middle age.

Nobody bothers them.

1 has been here I think close to 20 years, the others moved in recently.

No beefs.

Everybody minds their own business in Miller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana