Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM

51 posts, read 93,158 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

A new post from me. We are crunching the numbers and weighing whether we should buy a house or wait and get settled in the area and save more for a house. I was wondering what are some apartment options in the Chesterton/Valparaiso area. We would need 3 bedrooms (possibly 2) if there were a den or office to the 2 bedrooms.

If the apartment had a swimming pool and playground that would be a bonus since we have 2 kids (age 9 and 6). A washer and dryer inside the apartment would also be ideal - haven't rented in awhile so not sure if that is standard still or not? Also not a necessity but I promised our girls a pet - likely a cat or small dog so a pet friendly apartment but again that is not a priority if it comes to needing a place to live.

As for rent we could probably swing $800-$1,500 per month. If anyone did a short term lease that would also be nice.

Thanks,
Kristie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 AM

17,419 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Hi Kristie ...

If I were in your situation, this would be where i would move ...

Hills of Aberdeen Apartment Rentals

This will put your kids at Hayes Leonard for school ... my own kids went there and I adore it.

Aberdeen is a fairly upscale community ... good neighborhood for the kiddos. And I do believe it will hit all your hot buttons - though I don't know their pet policy.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Thanks. They do accept dogs/cats up to 40 lb. It didn't say how much but again it's not a must but I would like to give the kids a pet. Only downside is there is no playground equipment. My kids need to burn off energy so after summer when pool closes is there a park nearby?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhunt View Post
Thanks. They do accept dogs/cats up to 40 lb. It didn't say how much but again it's not a must but I would like to give the kids a pet. Only downside is there is no playground equipment. My kids need to burn off energy so after summer when pool closes is there a park nearby?
Not one that's walkable. Off the top of my head, the closest playground would be at Hayes Leonard Elementary.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM

Bummer. I'm afraid they'd feel cooped up in an apartment. But it's on the list to check out.

Do you know anything about Compass Pointe or Williamsburg on the Lake?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 PM

If it were me, I'd pick Williamsburg over Compass Pointe and Aberdeen over all of them.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Ok, Williamsburg was very pet friendly and had full a playground in addition to a pool. I'll look at Aberdeen and Willamsburg.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,700 times
If I'm wrong on this I apologize, but isn't there section 8 housing back in some of those apartment complexes off of Vale Park Rd? Just thought I'd bring that up now to clarify before ckhunt makes any type of move and ends up regretting it. Chuckity or any locals may know for sure but I thought I heard or read that a while back. Again if I'm wrong I apologize.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 PM

145 posts, read 388,455 times
I rented an apartment in Andover Park off Campbell. Not the shabbiest of places but a good maintenance crew, pool, and quiet area. Campbell also turns into Meridian about a mile down the road and runs right into Chesterton. The drive takes about 5-10 minutes, way closer than Aberdeen (although Aberdeen is awesome). I used to deliver pizza in Valpo so I know most of the apartments pretty well. Vale Park Village is decent enough, has a playground and is right next to the YMCA. Chandana Pointe is pretty upscale, don't remember if they have a pool tho. Golfview is nice, but I don't recall seeing a pool. The Masters and Williamsburg are both nice but I hated delivering there because I'd always get stiffed lol. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Sec 8 folks in either of those. I'd steer clear of the college area, only because college apartments by and large are pretty crappy. If you can afford it, I'd have to say Aberdeen is best. I'd still recommend checking out Andover if you're looking to cut costs a little bit too tho. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 PM

We don't need upscale apartment but since my husband will be back and forth from our new to old location safety is BIG concern. I did forget to ask about college apartments - that would be a nightmare!

If anyone can tell me about Section 8 in any of those, I'd appreciate it. I'd hate to sign a lease and have to break it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana