Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM

255 posts, read 415,256 times

Advertisements

The trend of NWI has continued the growth of Merrillville, Crown Point, and the Tri-Town area (St John, Schererville, and Dyer) in South Lake County and Valparaiso and Portage have grown while the area of Liberty Township (between Chesterton, Portage, and Valparaiso) is growing as well due to the recent move of the Porter Hospital. As these communities and areas grow, what will the effect be on the Region? Since LC, M-Ville, and CP HS are still growing, will we see a new HS in South Lake County? Will we still continue to see the flight from North Lake County to South Lake County and Porter County? That has been the trend for a long time now. Give me your opinion on the population and future of South Lake County and Porter County and the towns, cities, and schools that represent those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
I think one thing that will influence this in the coming years will be the progress/non-progress of the Illiana corridor.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:54 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
The trend of NWI has continued the growth of Merrillville, Crown Point, and the Tri-Town area (St John, Schererville, and Dyer) in South Lake County and Valparaiso and Portage have grown while the area of Liberty Township (between Chesterton, Portage, and Valparaiso) is growing as well due to the recent move of the Porter Hospital. As these communities and areas grow, what will the effect be on the Region? Since LC, M-Ville, and CP HS are still growing, will we see a new HS in South Lake County? Will we still continue to see the flight from North Lake County to South Lake County and Porter County? That has been the trend for a long time now. Give me your opinion on the population and future of South Lake County and Porter County and the towns, cities, and schools that represent those areas.
I think growth in the towns you listed above will continue but not nearly at the pace of 2003-2007. The interesting thing to think about is the what would drive that growth. Big time generalization here, but over the years many of the people who moved into the Tri-Town area were from the middle class south suburbs. I don't think that trend will continue. To be honest, many of the South burbs like South Holland that saw a lot of white folks leave have seen just that, the white folks leave. Much of that flight is done so I don't think those are the types of Illinois towns that you'll see people moving to Indiana from. Just my prediction. If anything, I think it would be people moving there from towns like Highland or Griffith, along with southwest suburbs (Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, etc.). I think there are more people from these Illinois towns realizing the standard of living is comparable in tri-town to their current towns, with a cheaper cost of living so it's a good trade-off. Younger couples who want to settle down may have more confidence in the long term desirability of one of the tri-towns than Highland or Griffith. I've also met, within the last several months, a handful of couples who grew up in Munster but decided to moved to tri-town area to start their family because they got more for their money. I think much of this can also be said about Crown Point too. Tri-town and Crown Point are kind of rivals for which will be the landing spot of Illinois transplants or those from north-central Lake County.

Merrillville - totally different animal. I still think the trend of people from Gary to Merrillville will continue. So technically yes you may see some growth but not really residential construction growth like tri-town and CP.

I don't see a new high school opening in south or central Lake County any time soon. Lake Central is in the middle of rebuilding their high school, Crown Point's high school is less than 10 years old I believe, and Merrillville won't see as big of an influx of students to make its high school overcrowded. We just have big high schools around here, that's all.

The pattern we've seen into Porter County is some Illinois transplants, but certainly more people from Lake County moving there. It's hard for me to predict the future of the Porter County towns you mentioned but I can't see any reason for them not to continue to grow. I would have to imagine that the new Lake County income tax will bring a few more people to Porter County, but I'm not sure it'll be as many as some may think. If people work in Chicago or the suburbs or visit them regularly, it's just such a far commute from Porter County.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM

255 posts, read 415,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I think growth in the towns you listed above will continue but not nearly at the pace of 2003-2007. The interesting thing to think about is the what would drive that growth. Big time generalization here, but over the years many of the people who moved into the Tri-Town area were from the middle class south suburbs. I don't think that trend will continue. To be honest, many of the South burbs like South Holland that saw a lot of white folks leave have seen just that, the white folks leave. Much of that flight is done so I don't think those are the types of Illinois towns that you'll see people moving to Indiana from. Just my prediction. If anything, I think it would be people moving there from towns like Highland or Griffith, along with southwest suburbs (Orland Park, Tinley Park, New Lenox, etc.). I think there are more people from these Illinois towns realizing the standard of living is comparable in tri-town to their current towns, with a cheaper cost of living so it's a good trade-off. Younger couples who want to settle down may have more confidence in the long term desirability of one of the tri-towns than Highland or Griffith. I've also met, within the last several months, a handful of couples who grew up in Munster but decided to moved to tri-town area to start their family because they got more for their money. I think much of this can also be said about Crown Point too. Tri-town and Crown Point are kind of rivals for which will be the landing spot of Illinois transplants or those from north-central Lake County.

Merrillville - totally different animal. I still think the trend of people from Gary to Merrillville will continue. So technically yes you may see some growth but not really residential construction growth like tri-town and CP.

I don't see a new high school opening in south or central Lake County any time soon. Lake Central is in the middle of rebuilding their high school, Crown Point's high school is less than 10 years old I believe, and Merrillville won't see as big of an influx of students to make its high school overcrowded. We just have big high schools around here, that's all.

The pattern we've seen into Porter County is some Illinois transplants, but certainly more people from Lake County moving there. It's hard for me to predict the future of the Porter County towns you mentioned but I can't see any reason for them not to continue to grow. I would have to imagine that the new Lake County income tax will bring a few more people to Porter County, but I'm not sure it'll be as many as some may think. If people work in Chicago or the suburbs or visit them regularly, it's just such a far commute from Porter County.
Ok, the Ross Township M-Ville/Hobart (its really just M-Ville) area east on US 30 near Deep River Waterpark and north of Winfield is still highly rural and probably has a ton of land up for sale. Couldn't this lead to residential construction? Crown Point still has plenty of rural land on the outskirts and it seems like the Tri-Town area just gets subdivisions built nearly every year, which could lead to more people moving in. Also, Winfield is one of the fastest growing communities in the area and has people coming in at a fast rate, which could lead to CPHS getting to 3,000+ kids. What about the US 231 corridor between CP and Hebron? Could that develop some because looking on the satellite, it is still very rural. CP has a great future with the future development at 109th and the I65 interchange and the US 231 I65 interchange.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:13 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Ok, the Ross Township M-Ville/Hobart (its really just M-Ville) area east on US 30 near Deep River Waterpark and north of Winfield is still highly rural and probably has a ton of land up for sale. Couldn't this lead to residential construction? Crown Point still has plenty of rural land on the outskirts and it seems like the Tri-Town area just gets subdivisions built nearly every year, which could lead to more people moving in. Also, Winfield is one of the fastest growing communities in the area and has people coming in at a fast rate, which could lead to CPHS getting to 3,000+ kids. What about the US 231 corridor between CP and Hebron? Could that develop some because looking on the satellite, it is still very rural. CP has a great future with the future development at 109th and the I65 interchange and the US 231 I65 interchange.
Just because there are rural parts doesn't equate to likely residential construction. You'd be hard pressed to find any demand to build a house in Ross Township with Merrillville schools to make it worth home builders' while. I agree with you on some of the other areas though, Crown Point certainly has a lot of room to grow and it is, and I assume it will continue to for years. You're right that CPHS will be over 3k kids in the near future, but I would highly doubt that'll lead to a 2nd high school in that district anytime soon. The current high school is too recently built, and built in a way to hold that many kids if not more.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,494,763 times
I pretty much agree with everything svillechris stated. I will add that while South County has developed a lot, I believe that much more of the growth will continue to be in the Center Township & Winfield Township area than in the St. John Township and Hanover Township areas. I think this is because when you start getting to the Merrillville area, growth was pushed much more south into the county than in the Schererville area. While Lowell is growing, it is not nearly at the pace of some towns a little further north.

Svillechris was also correct in the area of Merrillville north of Winfield and east of the mall. Unfortunately, Merrillville is not seen as a desirable enough location to grow much that way. If it were, then it would probably be as developed as Winfield is. With the exception of John Wood Elementary School, the other Merrillville schools are a pretty far drive from that area (esp Merrillville Intermediate School). In regards to Crown Point, most of the growth in the future would probably continue to be from Merrillville and other areas of NWI where people can get more for their money than in other parts such as Munster, and the tri-town area. As far as south county goes, I am interested to see how the area of Crown Point in Ross Township will be. That area is still safe but it is not seen as very desirable due to school zoning. There are lots in White Hawk Country Club that are zoned to Merrillville Schools and cost about half as much as smaller lots zoned to Crown Point Schools.

As far as Porter County, all of those town are definitely growing. While Portage is growing, it seems to be also losing some of its population to Valpo and Chesterton. I am a little surprised that Chesterton has remained as small as it has despite some of its growth. Hebron on the south end of the county will probably continue to grow but still remain a pretty small town.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,494,763 times
Default NWI Times Article

Here is an article about the growth in south Lake County:

St. John, Crown Point among tops for new housing starts in Chicago-area study
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana