Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 11:56 PM

98 posts, read 279,060 times

Advertisements

This summer on 41 the lights are not on since what 1964 from Blue Top? I know time changes but this was a big part of Highland history I hate to see the way it sits as for sale. Rumors are that it might get torn down, and the property be a commercial lot. This town had one the oldest Drive In with history and bright neon signs. Maybe I'm nostalgic or old fashioned but I don't want everything new and shiny. I think Blue Top is going to be missed what's the future anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 08:21 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
It is a very unique building. However, with the way Highland has been redeveloping as of late, who knows what it will become. I could see a retro-style Sonic Drive-In Restaurant (I know, it is not the same).

Old 07-20-2013, 02:02 PM

I'm hearing it might be torn down for a car wash.. Yes highland is looking good these days but why not preserve history

Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 AM

21 posts, read 41,991 times
He puts it up for sale every year for a million dollars and when nobody buys it, he reluctantly opens up again. We'll see if it happens again.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:31 PM

This been the first year his mom was not alive to open it though and it's July and has yet to be opened. I think the asking price is high it's around 450,000. I don't see it reopening the kids don't want it

Old 07-22-2013, 05:41 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
In the hands of the right operator, the Blue Top could be a happening place and huge success again. People have spent untold amounts of money recreating brand new drive-ins like it, and here it is, a real 60's drive in, just waiting to shine again. Just the fact that the Sonic chain exists shows that its a workable business model yet.

It's clear that the family that owns it was no longer interested in it. They have been running it into the ground for years now. They have been "trying" to sell it for more then a decade, and complaining about how they have so much more competition now a days. That I don't get, they were the only drive in left in the whole county. There was once THREE drive-in's in Highland alone in the 1960's in the glory years.

Its not worth anywhere near what they have been asking for it, no matter what your going to do with the property. If someone wants to run it as a drive-inn they have to get it for next to nothing because getting it going again is going to be expensive.

Put in a drive-thru somehow and keep the dining room open year round would go a long ways towards making a few bucks there again. Add an awesome comfort food menu and car shows to the mix and it could be huge again.

Hope the property owner comes to his senses before the building deteriorates too much. I think they will be lucky to get 100k for it.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 AM

Looks like the Blue Top has a new owner!

They hope to reopen in January!

New owners plan to fix up Highland

Thankfully its a restaurant operator, so it has a better chance of success, hopefully they didn't overpay. Hope it works out for them!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 AM

Article in the Times about the comeback of the Blue Top

Blue Top Drive-In won't cruise off into sunset, after all

Old 11-02-2013, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,000 times
It is nice to see someone try to keep history alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana