Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 AM

277 posts, read 442,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Just curious on a few of your opinions... I'm not challenging you or telling you you're wrong, so please don't take it that way...

1. I see you're choosing the Hanover district to the Lake Central district. Is a district being so large necessarily a bad thing? You may be aware but LC does score higher than Hanover practically across the board. Carmel Clay is the biggest district/high school in the state, way bigger than LC, and they're considered the best district and high school in the state by many. I never really understood the "too big" comment, honestly. If teacher:student ratio is reasonable, that's really what matters doesn't it? Also, is it a bad thing that the kids have to be even better to be picked for a sports, club, or other group? Curious as to why people don't view more competition as a good thing leading up to the cutthroat college admission process and the real world of the job search.

3. Do you not get tired of having to drive 15-20 mins for any real shopping or dining options? Never understood how people from Cedar Lake or especially from Lowell could put up with having to drive so far up to Merrillville or the Rt. 41 corridor in Schererville for any serious shopping or dining. That would wear on me I think!

4. All signs seem to be pointing to the Illiana being a go at this point. What, in your opinion, will be the benefits of that tollroad for the area? As I'm sure you know, there are A LOT of very angry south-county residents that don't happen to share your favorable opinion of that tollroad.

Just asking for you opinion. Thanks and good luck with your move!
Opinions are good! Criticism is a good thing as it generally sparks interesting conversation.

1. I actually agree with the mentality of challenging your children to be better and strive to be the best. However, there comes a point where too many people trying to make limited spots in activities makes the competition ONLY for the elite. I like the idea of competition, but the worry is my sons or daughters giving up too early because it's a lost cause. It's simply an observation that LC seems to be GROWING without an inkling of splitting. Basically, it seems that an already large populated school is going to get bigger. My time at TF South in Lansing may just seem like my comfort zone instead. My children are young enough at this time that I think Hanover will be growing a bit in the coming decade as well. Not too big, not too small is my hope.

3. Growing up in Lansing, and now situated in Dyer, has always been the 15-20 minute drive for me. After River Oaks started its decline, it was a better option to go out to Merrillville (15 - 20 minutes) or Orland Park (20 minutes) for a shopping need that wasn't a Target-like experience. That being said, the Cedar Lake option puts me roughly the same time frame from Merrillville as I won't have to deal with Rt. 30 any longer (yay!) to get there. Indianapolis seems to be getting more and more shops and I hope it continues to grow so that I have that option for more. I also feel that the expanding businesses will creep south over the next decade or so since the southern areas are getting more and more populated. Honestly, I think 231/41 intersection will be getting an overhaul in that timeframe. It's obvious that's a largely congested route home for the commuters. Just a matter of time before that builds up and is yet another option for various things. Hoping for a fantastic restaurant!

4. I personally love the idea of the Tollway and the economic stimulus that's possible for the area from it being there. I'm not dillusional to think it will generate huge amounts of traffic, as it's far enough south not to be the average commuter's salvation. However, it does provide a much faster route for the south suburbs to visit a lake community that's been doing good things the past 10 years to clean up the lake and be a little bit more touristy. Tourism would require better restaurants, more shopping (anyone see a need for a "cute downtown"?) etc. Maybe even a good area to put in a new outlet mall somewhere along in between crown point and cedar lake. All speculation items, but I see it as "easier to get to" for many people that could help spur some growth.

I apologize to all that the idea of it is unfavorable, but this is just my opinion for my own reasons. I can understand where the land owners, especially, would be up in arms about it all and with good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,361 times
Default What did you end up doing?

What did you end up doing? Did you move? We just made the move from IL to IN and we love it out here. I am actually a Realtor in Both IL and IN and it made since for us because most of the real estate I sell is in NWI. The 1.5% tax is disappointing since we feel like we have been over taxed for years in IL. Although, you can't beat the schools out here. We ended up moving to St. John because we weren't interested in putting $50,000 into updating a home in Munster. We have two young children and both my husband and I work full time we have no extra time. I am so happy I convinced my husband to drive a bit further because the St. John has so many parks, bigger lots, and newer homes. If you have any more questions, let me know. Good Luck!

Old 11-06-2015, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 13,146 times
There are so many reasons to move from Illinois to Indiana. There are several companies that have just recently moved their operations across the state border to Northwest Indiana. I work for a company that builds new homes in Northwest Indiana, and most of the people we work with are moving from Illinois and wish that they had moved sooner.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:02 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Agreed. I hear that i wish i had done it sooner story quite a lot with the people i talk to.
Most of the people who had wish they'd done it sooner were too busy being judgmental of Indiana based upon stereotypes. I see it as a hard but well deserved lesson on their part.

"Judge not lest ye want to pay thousands of extra dollars in taxes and cost of living for years longer than you should have" LOL

Old 11-09-2015, 01:15 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Evan ??

Old 11-10-2015, 02:37 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
You're so transparent.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:41 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseybaker1 View Post
There are so many reasons to move from Illinois to Indiana. There are several companies that have just recently moved their operations across the state border to Northwest Indiana. I work for a company that builds new homes in Northwest Indiana, and most of the people we work with are moving from Illinois and wish that they had moved sooner.
I honestly can't understand why anyone with the option of moving their domicile to Northwest Indiana from Illinois hasn't done so already.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:42 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I honestly can't understand why anyone with the option of moving their domicile to Northwest Indiana from Illinois hasn't done so already.
Money is not an issue for many folks. If I were living in the majority of the south suburbs, I would hop over to NWI as soon as possible. But there are just some places (e.g. Oak Brook, Hinsdale, Winnetka, Lake Forest, Highland Park, Evanston) where if I were living and living without much financial worry, I would not come to NWI from.

I'm a big proponent of NWI but I am also realistic. I do not expect most residents from most north and west suburbs to move to NWI even if they would save a ton of money. Logistically and financially speaking, it makes most sense for those living in the south, far south, and southwest suburbs to move to NWI because when you add in all the trade-offs, it is far less.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 AM

53 posts, read 83,300 times
Just what we need in Indiana....more FIPs

Old 11-11-2015, 06:52 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
I think the correct term is FIBBS....or Fibs...fing illinois (*******&) bastards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana