Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 01:40 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Ok...

No one ever made these claims whatsoever. You North Shore groupies are beating down strawmen.

We were discussing whether Gary has nice views of Chicago. It does. Then someone came in like "but da nort shorr is has moar rich peoples!!!! Oh my gahd, why would anyone like geeary??? It's like in ANOTHER state!", completely derailing the thread. That's as relevant as me saying "but Manhattan has more rich ppls than Chitown!!!".
Please stop derailing my thread, I'm not subscribed to this thread so I can read your bantering and whining about disagreeing with other posters all while derailing my thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 02:14 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Please stop derailing my thread, I'm not subscribed to this thread so I can read your bantering and whining about disagreeing with other posters all while derailing my thread.
You derailed your own thread by discussing topics unrelated to your own discussion and then get all emotional when people disagree?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
You derailed your own thread by discussing topics unrelated to your own discussion and then get all emotional when people disagree?
Continuing to derail my thread. Discuss the question at hand or don't comment at all please.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:59 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:
If the thread is Gary, let it be Gary. Sure there will always be examples used. As far as Gary,yes there has been some momentum but its a city with city problems like every other city. It's slowly tackling its blight. Heck they actually had snow plows last winter. Deficit has been reduced under kfw 1st term by a nice clip. There is a mixture of housing stock from the blight everyone talks about to the million dollar homes in mb. Keep in mind land values are grossly deflated because its Gary so a 500k home in Gary is a million+ somewhere else. It still has its gorgeous homes in hoods like Sunnyside and morningside and even has straight up suburban vinly village cookie cutters in areas around 20th and Adams or further west into tolleston around Ellsworth. For a while that was an unheard of.

Downtown will never be what it was. That big smokestack just north of it prevents that with America's way of perceiving pollution in the 21st century but it can be functional. It's brightest spots would be airport development, milled and the tech corridor between iun and ivytech the mayor has been pushing for.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
If the thread is Gary, let it be Gary. Sure there will always be examples used. As far as Gary,yes there has been some momentum but its a city with city problems like every other city. It's slowly tackling its blight. Heck they actually had snow plows last winter. Deficit has been reduced under kfw 1st term by a nice clip. There is a mixture of housing stock from the blight everyone talks about to the million dollar homes in mb. Keep in mind land values are grossly deflated because its Gary so a 500k home in Gary is a million+ somewhere else. It still has its gorgeous homes in hoods like Sunnyside and morningside and even has straight up suburban vinly village cookie cutters in areas around 20th and Adams or further west into tolleston around Ellsworth. For a while that was an unheard of.

Downtown will never be what it was. That big smokestack just north of it prevents that with America's way of perceiving pollution in the 21st century but it can be functional. It's brightest spots would be airport development, milled and the tech corridor between iun and ivytech the mayor has been pushing for.
Did Gary not have snowplows the last few winters or something? I'd think if the city couldn't afford it then the County would take over.

My impression of Gary after driving through Broadway street, which might be one of the worse streets, is particularly sour. I've heard people call South Bend "ghetto" or "run down", Gary is on a whole level unto itself. I'd be curious to see the nicer parts of Gary, or the areas that have been preserved, or new areas sprouting up...if there are any, but downtown Gary seemed to have about 3/4 of its major high rises completely abandoned.

On the positive side though, I was rather impressed with the quality of the roads and sidewalks on Broadway St. going through downtown.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:44 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Did Gary not have snowplows the last few winters or something? I'd think if the city couldn't afford it then the County would take over.

My impression of Gary after driving through Broadway street, which might be one of the worse streets, is particularly sour. I've heard people call South Bend "ghetto" or "run down", Gary is on a whole level unto itself. I'd be curious to see the nicer parts of Gary, or the areas that have been preserved, or new areas sprouting up...if there are any, but downtown Gary seemed to have about 3/4 of its major high rises completely abandoned.

On the positive side though, I was rather impressed with the quality of the roads and sidewalks on Broadway St. going through downtown.
I live in Valparaiso but work in the far NW corner of Gary. The City does a good job of keeping 4th and 5th Avenues plowed during the winter. Broadway and many side streets, not so much.

It is sad to see how may neighborhoods are in ruins, yet there are some lovely areas in Gary. Miller is nice; the neighborhoods near the hospital at 6th and Grant are nice and, with a few exceptions, are well-kept and look as good as they did decades ago during the City's heyday.

I give a lot of credit to business owners who have recently opened establishments in Gary. Miller Bakery Café is a popular destination for people not only from NW Indiana but also from Chicago and its suburbs. There's a new microbrewery in Miller as well. It has a very casual atmosphere, and you can get the best grilled cheese and tomato soup combo you've ever had to wash down with a craft beer. I'll be going to a RailCats minor league baseball game this Friday night at The Steelyard just a few blocks east of Broadway on 5th Avenue. The Steelyard is a beautiful stadium and a great place for people of all ages. It's immaculate and family-friendly.

Yep, there are some positive things going on in Gary.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Quote:
So now you know where I live?
So where do you live then?

And just so you know, even though you started this thread (over two years ago, might I add), this is not "your thread"...you don't own it and once you start it, you cannot delete it...it is not yours. In addition to that, you wanted to hear positives about Gary (since being a non-native, you don't know anything about Gary...understandable) and yet the VAST majority of your post are basically countering anything positive that anyone states about the city or about NWI.

I mean...Do you even really care to know about positives in Gary OR did you just ask that question so that you can feel bigger in the pants by countering all of the positives that people are stating about the city???

Old 08-26-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:

No the county didn't take over snow plowing and yes it was that bad. The whole repaving of the roads were kfw first term which I give her credit for as the city was a virtual minefield of craters.

As far as high rises, there were only 4, Sheraton, chase bldg, old hotel Gary turned to senior housing and the knights of Columbus building. 5 if you count the tower at the water company. They only lost the sheraton and it was all of 13 stories and the tallest.

Miller has managed to preserve itself because of its citizens. The MCC was formed to help stop white flight and blockbusting that occurred on the west side and Glen park. It's always been a grassroots community and generally doesn't wait for the city like other parts as the city just can't at this point. Plus Marquette park is only 2nd to Indiana dunes so it does benefit the city to make sure that area is maintained.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:04 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Noticed food trucks in downtown Gary for the first time this week. Saw a Jamaican one and I think a barbecue one....didn't have time to stop but will soon. Food trucks in downtown Gary make perfect sense...there were several customers on both occasions. There is life in Gary despite its recent near-death experience.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Noticed food trucks in downtown Gary for the first time this week. Saw a Jamaican one and I think a barbecue one....didn't have time to stop but will soon. Food trucks in downtown Gary make perfect sense...there were several customers on both occasions. There is life in Gary despite its recent near-death experience.
That's great news. There are so few options downtown for food plus with those hungry steel workers money to be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana