Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 10:09 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
More good news for Miller...I hope someone takes over the space 18th is vacating

18th Street Brewery buys Miller property, plans move
Can I buy the space on Grand and Miller ave? It's just sitting there. I'll give them a buck! No, TWO buckaroos! See, I DOUBLED my offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:29 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
The old training academy thing? Not sure who owns that...but during the warmer months there was a great barbecue tip truck there in the parking lot.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:13 PM

ugly hideous Gary Indiana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxYKRac8Ps#t=12

Old 11-08-2015, 09:45 PM

I recently heard that 18th Street Brewery is moving down the street a bit. Apparently, as a result of their incredible success..the landlord decided to jack the rent...and the owner decided to just buy his own space. So he will be renovating an abandoned Lake Street commercial building into a brewery. Excellent news for Miller.

Hopefully, the space he is leaving will attract another restaurant or cafe...adding to the building momentum in Miller. Got a good feeling about 2016 in Miller, Gary.

Last edited by midwest1; 11-08-2015 at 10:07 PM..

Old 11-27-2015, 08:59 AM

EDITORIAL: Join Centier in banking on Gary's future

Old 11-27-2015, 10:06 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Quote:
Lol! Thanks for posting the video.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,113 times
Gary is still home to some great steel-producing mills and accounts for much automated, small-business industry.
Gary has beautiful Lake Michigan and its lovely miles of tan sand beaches open to the public.
The topography of Gary undulates to a higher elevation at its South end making treks from North to South enjoyable.
While Gary is nationally well-known for its White Flight and White racism, it is also nationally well-known for having one of the first African American mayors in America.
While Gary is home to Indiana University Northwest, the university has experienced an increase of student enrollment despite the malicious press that Gary receives by its Northwest Indiana surrounding neighbors in other locales which surround Gary.
With the erosion of racism in Gary, Gary appears to be assuming a simpler life among neighbors and to be assuming a revitalization of land reclamation. Abandoned land is being reclaimed by nature.
Gary is a gorgeous land to look at and to play on.
I think Gary is pretty cool, and it is so quiet! I would love to live in Gary.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:44 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
I recently heard that 18th Street Brewery is moving down the street a bit. Apparently, as a result of their incredible success..the landlord decided to jack the rent...and the owner decided to just buy his own space. So he will be renovating an abandoned Lake Street commercial building into a brewery. Excellent news for Miller.

Hopefully, the space he is leaving will attract another restaurant or cafe...adding to the building momentum in Miller. Got a good feeling about 2016 in Miller, Gary.
Serves the landlord right if that's true. I'm sure it was an unreasonable rent hike or else the owner wouldn't have up and moved. But good for them for not putting up for it. I think it'd be great if another business moved in, but right now one of the biggest draws of Miller is that rents are still reasonably cheap for residents and businesses. I doubt the landlord can get away with charging unnatural rents for the area when there is still a good amount of vacant space elsewhere. Sounds like someone needs a reality check but hey, if I'm wrong that's only good news for Miller.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 AM

A new juice bar is opening on Lake Street, name is Vibrations

https://m.ak.fbcdn.net/sphotos-e.ak/...62ea640bc2d403

Also heard a new cafe/breakfast joint will open soon...Miller is percolating people. One by one the storefronts of Lake Street are coming back to life, exciting.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:21 PM

541 posts, read 394,388 times
Well there is that great song from the Music Man:
The Music Man - Gary, Indiana Lyrics

Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana
Gary, Indiana, let me say it once again
Gary, Indiana, that's the town that knew me when

If you'd like to have a logical explanation
How I happened on this elegant syncopation
I will say without a moment of hesitation
There is just one place that can light my face

Not Louisiana, Paris, France, New York or Rome
But Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana
Gary, Indiana, my home sweet home

I'd like to see Gary make a comeback. It used to be the place where people from Valparaiso would go to shop in the 60s when I was a kid. I took ballet lessons there too, as that's where the best teacher in the area had a studio. One of my classmates in fact became a professional dancer with the New York Ballet.

US Steel's largest manufacturing plant is in Gary too. It employs way fewer people than it used to, but does bring some good manufacturing jobs to the area. I got a job there one summer and was actually out of college for a couple of years before I was making the kind of weekly wage I made there in the early 80s.

I grew up in Valparaiso, Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana