Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,142 times

Advertisements

My husbands employer is trying to convince him to take a new position in East Chicage, In. Being from CA I have no idea what this area is like. I am really looking for some input as to where would be good locations to look for housing within a 40 min drive of there. We prefer a more rural feel than city. We are homebodies that like to putter in the yard and have animals than people who like the night life. We also have a young child so schools are a factor.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 PM

145 posts, read 388,115 times
East Chicago is a rough area, definitely not where you'd wanna raise a kid. I'd look at Crown Point or Dyer for housing. Neither should take more than 40 minutes to drive to EC from.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,386,612 times
Yes, I would stay on the Indiana side. It fits your criteria and is more affordable. Chicago's southern suburbs near E. Chicago are mostly ghetto and not that nice Stay away from E. Chicago, Gary and almost all of Hammond. Whiting is nicer but pollution is a problem. So, I would head straight south to find a home and the further down/south/out you go the more rural it gets. Munster is considered to have the best schools around but its pricey and the closest to your work. Further down in order going south try Dyer, Schererville and St. John. These all have good schools also. Highland is middle of the road. This all depends on your budget and whether you wanna rent or not but I am sure its cheaper than California real estate prices.
If you want to head east then using the Southshore train is an option but I am not familiar if they stop near E. Chicago or not. There are some nice areas east of Gary.
This area is very different from California so get ready for a big change. Nice place to raise a family but for weekend fun and activities Chicago is less than an hour away.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,532 times
If you want the more rural feel, I'd go with Porter County. That would include Chesteron & Valpariso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana