Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times

Advertisements

Would like to hear from actual residents of Gary or people who are familier with the city from more than just news reports.
I am skeptical in believing the entire city is a warzone day in and day out.

In what areas are random murders less frequent?

I know Black Oak but consider that more Calumet township even though its legally Gary.

What other areas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Would like to hear from actual residents of Gary or people who are familier with the city from more than just news reports.

I know Black Oak but consider that more Calumet township even though its legally Gary.

What other areas???
Once you get out of Miller, safety issues really tend to be more block-by-block in a sense. In general, the area immediately surrounding IUN is considered somewhat safe but further out, not so much due to less police presence. Some parts of the Ambridge-Mann and Horace-Mann neighborhoods (except the apartment complexes on 5th) are somewhat safe as well. It largely depends on the % of homeowners vs renters in the area and the level of transience in the area. In general, more homeowners = somewhat safer.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:45 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:

What other areas???
Black oak isn't safe. Several other areas parts of tolleston around 22nd and ellston. Over by iin as suggested areas on the far west side, morningside area of glen park.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:06 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
The location of the Gary airport is nowhere near actual neighborhoods and actually separated by interstate highways. The bussinesses along major roads like Grant Street and Burr aren't necessarily unsafe at all.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 PM

11 posts, read 20,209 times
Quote:

What other areas???
I live here in Gary.

Random murders aren't common in general.

Most murders are drug related or gang related.

I'm all over this city every single day since 1992.

Nobody bothers me.

Gary's violence problem was much more of a "crack cocaine" issue during the 1980s and '90s.

Since then, the crime has gone down amongst the non drug dealing, non gang banging population.

And NO the city is not a cesspool of violence.

The only reason people love Miller so much (and I live here, so I love it too) is because the few affluent White people who live here, live in Miller, but the rest of Gary is more ugly and dilapidated than it is just a violence cesspool.

It looks worst than what it really is.

Now, there are parts like Delaney, Dorie Miller, Marshalltown, or Midtown that have violent pockets, but it's not really that bad outside of those pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana