Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 6,825 times

Advertisements

I am looking to build a home in the NWI area (Crown Point/Lowell/ St. John)- Lake County. We plan to build a semi-luxury home with an open floor plan, gourmet kitchen, basement, 3-4bdrms/3 bath in the $350k range. I was reviewing local builders/general contractors and found Newcastle Homes. They had good reviews on the Houzz website. I have also heard of Olthof Homes, but their models seem a bit too cookie cutter (not much attention to the kitchen which is my most important room). Has anyone heard of them? Opinions one way or another? Other builders/contractors that are good and are nice to work with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 04:37 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,495,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaus View Post
I am looking to build a home in the NWI area (Crown Point/Lowell/ St. John)- Lake County. We plan to build a semi-luxury home with an open floor plan, gourmet kitchen, basement, 3-4bdrms/3 bath in the $350k range. I was reviewing local builders/general contractors and found Newcastle Homes. They had good reviews on the Houzz website. I have also heard of Olthof Homes, but their models seem a bit too cookie cutter (not much attention to the kitchen which is my most important room). Has anyone heard of them? Opinions one way or another? Other builders/contractors that are good and are nice to work with?
I have seen some Newcastle Homes but they were mostly in the $450k-$600k+ range. I don't know if they build in the $350k range, but they should accommodate anyway. I have only seen from outside but it appears that they use a mix of various stone/wood materials in their homes.

Olthof Homes are mostly in the $200-$280k range with very few homes exceeding $300k except for some brand new models that I have seen in St. John for $310k...personally, I would never buy an Olthof home (except for the town homes and duplexes they built in Lake Hills that appear (note: appear) to be of much higher quality. And if I was looking in the $350k range, Olthoff would not be on the radar.

As far as builders in your price range, I would check out Luxor Homes, Inc., Providence Real Estate Development, Steiner Homes Ltd, and Barrick Builders (Barrick homes look like much more upscale versions of Olthoff homes, which is good...and they are NOT built in the same neighborhoods).

There is also Cook Builders (who build anywhere from first time home builders type homes to mansions), as well as Distinctive Homes of Indiana (who build the most modern homes in the area, as far as style wise).

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 6,825 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I have seen some Newcastle Homes but they were mostly in the $450k-$600k+ range. I don't know if they build in the $350k range, but they should accommodate anyway. I have only seen from outside but it appears that they use a mix of various stone/wood materials in their homes.

Olthof Homes are mostly in the $200-$280k range with very few homes exceeding $300k except for some brand new models that I have seen in St. John for $310k...personally, I would never buy an Olthof home (except for the town homes and duplexes they built in Lake Hills that appear (note: appear) to be of much higher quality. And if I was looking in the $350k range, Olthoff would not be on the radar.

As far as builders in your price range, I would check out Luxor Homes, Inc., Providence Real Estate Development, Steiner Homes Ltd, and Barrick Builders (Barrick homes look like much more upscale versions of Olthoff homes, which is good...and they are NOT built in the same neighborhoods).

There is also Cook Builders (who build anywhere from first time home builders type homes to mansions), as well as Distinctive Homes of Indiana (who build the most modern homes in the area, as far as style wise).

Good luck!
Thanks for the info! It will be a HUGE help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana