Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 05:43 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by falxori View Post
~500-550K, . so I'm trying to get a sense of what can be built for ~400K (assuming ~150 for the lot and other stuff).
A very very rough guess tells me to plan on spending anywhere from $150-175 sq/ft. Of course, it will depend on the quality of material used in the construction of the home. I would suggest looking at realtor.com and filtering it for a price range of 400k to 550k in various towns in the area to get a sense. In that price range in Munster, you can get some new construction, but it will probably not be that large of a home on the lower end of that budget compared to in other comparable towns. I would say that at 550k including the lot, you can get a 4 bed 2.5 bath home that is anywhere from 2500-3500 sq ft or so with 2-3 car garage. Again, it would depend on how well built and appointed the home is and the subdivision it is built in. Take Katona Builders for example. They build pretty nice homes. There is a particular style of home that they have been building in random open spots around town and the price differences--even given maybe some slight differences in the floor plan options--are big. There is a home being built in the older Fairmeadows subdivision (established in the 60s) in Munster along Columbia Ave (across from the hospital). It was a teardown and it is priced at $479,000. This same home is being built in Twin Creeks (established in the late 70s/early 80s) on a lot that was always vacant for $549,000. The listings have difference sq footage in them but having driven by both homes, they are literally the exact same size and I suspect that one listing is maybe including the basement or something. On a $ per sq ft basis, the home in Fairmeadows cost more (again, if the sq ft listed is accurate). But this just shows the differences. This same home in Park West, if it were allowed, would probably cost around $700,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana