Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 AM

275 posts, read 438,984 times

Advertisements

I have mixed feelings if this Tax doubles as projected.

Is this the same funds that the CEDIT money is pulled from? If so, would this effect the projected $$ given to the South Shore Expansion?

Lake County Income Tax to go to 3% | The Northwest Indiana Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 AM

811 posts, read 2,327,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
I have mixed feelings if this Tax doubles as projected.

Is this the same funds that the CEDIT money is pulled from? If so, would this effect the projected $$ given to the South Shore Expansion?

Lake County Income Tax to go to 3% | The Northwest Indiana Gazette
I'd be careful putting too much stock in the "Citizen Journalism" type of news outlet such as the NWI Gazette. For breaking news, it's actually pretty good. But for stories such as this one, it's nothing more than political propaganda a day before the elections. No viable and respected news outlet would start a non opinion-based piece with the sentence "With the upcoming elections, it is important to remember that one vote on the Lake County Council could have saved residents from the Income Tax." He provides absolutely zero support for the claim that the tax will go to three percent. Also, the "article" says "While the income tax was touted as a solution to the County’s financial woes, it will primarily go to the South Shore extension and the county 9-1-1 system." with no support for that statement either which I feel is far fetched, if not inaccurate altogether.

Now, that being said, I'm not saying that it'll never go up and I'm certainly not condoning or endorsing any of the Lake County politicians, both those that did and didn't vote for it in the first place. Just be careful to not believe everything you read on the Gazette, especially if it isn't grounded in any facts like this so called article is not. Sadly, a story like that will get him more clicks, regardless of whether or not it is true. That's not journalism.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 AM

275 posts, read 438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
the "article" says "While the income tax was touted as a solution to the County’s financial woes, it will primarily go to the South Shore extension and the county 9-1-1 system." with no support for that statement either which I feel is far fetched, if not inaccurate altogether.
I actually agree that "political news" is just a pile of garbage meant to sway elections... which bores me beyond words. Politics in general annoys me. Propaganda is a waste of my time.

However, I am simply interested in the 'for instance' that I see with this little nugget. Which is why I'm torn on if it would be beneficial or not. I like the idea of this money going towards the South Shore to expedite the ultimate delivery of the project.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind holding onto an additional 1.5% of my income. Obviously we want to see the economic growth everywhere correctly placed in NWI and one way to help this along is the forced tax increase.

Another way is simply to get more people buying/building/living/growing as time goes on.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 PM

815 posts, read 2,988,409 times
It will go up, that's how every tax is. That's why I opposed the county income tax and I still do. Allow a politician to create a new tax and it will go up at some point. Plus how we got stuck with this income tax stinks to high heaven. Six people stuck us with this tax. This tax was voted on several times over the years and the voters overwhelming rejected it all the times. That should have been the end of it. But these six crooks did it anyway.

This income tax was for closing budget holes they claimed. But that was complete nonsense as it will go to the expansion of the south shore train that will lose millions of dollars a year. That will only increase as well as time goes on as well.

As I said before they put in this tax, you give them the money, they will spend it but not on debt. They will never cut back unless we force them to do it, and even then they don't do it right.

Lake county government needs to be downsized. That's the only way to save the county from bankruptcy and economic irrelevancy.

If you make Lake county as expensive as Illinois, people and businesses will stop moving here. The whole county will look like Gary if we allow the county government to drive us off the cliff.

This issue isn't with people running a news blog, since NWI Times and the Post Tribune really don't report much anymore and have little credibility anymore. The Gazette is correct that the tax will someday be 3%, they don't say anything about when and how, outside of after the election. But anyone with a brain will know they won't do it before the election.

Frankly if the two papers were doing their jobs.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
View detailed profiles of: