Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 AM

163 posts, read 418,369 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are looking to relocate. We currently live in south Hammond. What would be your pick from this list and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 10:42 AM

277 posts, read 442,018 times
Default Cedar Lake was my choice

I chose Cedar Lake (soon to be moving) for a few facts: These are strictly my personal opinions and foresight of the future.

1. Close to the Illinois Border, able to utilize 394. Lowell would share a similar logic.
2. The small town (in my opinion) seems to be adding a lot of infrastructure, extending sidewalks to the downtown area linking to 41, extending Water to various business on the 41 corridor. There will be a roundabout constructed at a busy intersection.
3. The Illiana Expressway (Tollway) is slotted for construction within Lowell (north side) and south of Cedar Lake. I see a huge opportunity for the cities to capitalize on possible tourism with the Lake, allowing a faster route for people to commute there. It also presents a commute option if ever heading out to the southwest suburbs of Chicago. The Peotone Airport would be rather easy to commute to if that moves forward as well.
4. Small crime rates in Lowell and Cedar Lake compared to Griffith/Merrillville
5. Cheaper housing with values increasing rather than starting higher and now decreasing. There's a lot of new development in Cedar Lake at the moment.
6. Shops on Main and newer developments are only 10 minutes north within Schererville/Dyer. I see it becoming more and more like an Orland Park feel and want to stay far enough away, but within reach.

Again, these are all just the reasons why I personally chose Cedar Lake.

I would actually recommend Griffith over Merillville at this point. I see Merillville on an economic decline from my perspective. I don't have the facts to back that up, but it's my simple observation.

Happy Home Hunting!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:54 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,665,332 times
Will you be retiring or still working? If retired I would say CL or Lowell.
And would still recommend those two over the others if the commute wouldn't be bad for you.

I think both Griffith and definately Merrilliville won't enjoy the appreciation in property values of the communities further south.

Is there a reason Crown Point isn't on your list? It would be my first pick if I was returing to the area.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:03 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy T View Post
My hubby and I are looking to relocate. We currently live in south Hammond. What would be your pick from this list and why?

My questions to you that would help better answer your question, would be:

What is the reason you're leaving south Hammond?

How did you decide on those 4 towns?

Would you consider other towns?

What is your budget?

What are your desired home specs?

What is your commute, if any?

Are schools a concern?

Are you looking for a little land, or what size lot is ideal to you?

Does racial diversity matter to you in any way?

Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. Well, the reason Crown Point isn't on the list is we aren't sure that option is available to us right now. My husband works but he only needs to drive north up 41 so that's not a big problem. My daughters are grown, so schools are not an issue. We both love nature and fresh air, but we also love the small-town feel of main streets, like downtown Griffith (awesome coffee shop!) and the courthouse area of Crown Point. We like to walk along and window shop and drink coffee. We don't mind driving a little to get there.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
My questions to you that would help better answer your question, would be:

What is the reason you're leaving south Hammond? Our house is right next to the expressway. It is NEVER quiet unless there is a foot of snow or a wreck. Also, Hammond is further north and any time the wind blows from the north or northeast it smells like the mills or BP or any one of the other industries north of us.

How did you decide on those 4 towns? Caretaker offer with option to buy

Would you consider other towns? Only if an opportunity comes up (see above)

What is your budget? low, maybe under $100,000

What are your desired home specs? 3 bedrooms or 2 bedrooms with a home office, hopefully over 1,000 sq ft.

What is your commute, if any? I work from home, hubby works in Highland

Are schools a concern? no

Are you looking for a little land, or what size lot is ideal to you? don't need a lot of land

Does racial diversity matter to you in any way?
I'm ok with diversity but hubby is from Europe and it's harder for him. He's not racist, but he is opinionated. Don't know if that makes sense.

Last edited by Candy T; 05-09-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 07:17 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,665,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy T View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. Well, the reason Crown Point isn't on the list is we aren't sure that option is available to us right now. My husband works but he only needs to drive north up 41 so that's not a big problem. My daughters are grown, so schools are not an issue. We both love nature and fresh air, but we also love the small-town feel of main streets, like downtown Griffith (awesome coffee shop!) and the courthouse area of Crown Point. We like to walk along and window shop and drink coffee. We don't mind driving a little to get there.
Commuting thru Schererville, and Highland on 41 might involved a lot of traffic...not sure, but I do know its not a quick trip once all the businesses in that area open during the day.

Griffith might be your best bet..I would think you would be able to get into a nicer house their at the price point you mentioned.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 PM

Follow-up: the caretaker offer with option to buy was a bust...too expensive. Still thinking about Griffith maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana