Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,487,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionAire View Post
@Northwest Indiana: Of course the Region can't compete with many communities in Illinois in terms of amenities...yet. The demographics here have for the most part never valued the nice little downtowns and cutesy cafés that proliferate in some places in Ill. That's not the argument I'm thinking of. Heck, of course most places in the south suburbs (and I don't necessarily consider Frankfort among the main, average of the south suburbs) don't compare to some of the places you are thinking of. The issue is why live in comparable communities in Illinois if you can save a ton of money by moving to Indiana? Don't like the culture here? Work to change it. Patronize businesses you think support the culture you want...and tell people about it.
For the record, when I say "south suburbs" I mean all the suburbs south of the city and east of I-57. But yes, I understand what you are saying. I will say that I am one of those people that tell business constantly about the advantages of coming to NWI. Whenever I go to stores in Illinois and they ask for my zip code, they say "oh, that sounds far!" (since ours begins with "4" and theirs "6") and I usually inform them about the fact that I am much closer to the city than most of their suburban shoppers and that they should consider opening a store. I will say that I had contacted Noodles & Company a few times to open a location in NWI and they finally listened. They even sent me a message saying "you were one of the reasons we decided to look for franchisees specifically in your region". Yes, our voice CAN do something; however, all I am saying is that NWI also needs to not get too cocky. It is great that we are getting some companies with "good paying jobs" in manual labor here. However, we need to try to get more high-tech white collar office jobs. The I-65 corridor should be lined with shimmery glass buildings full of workers making $75K-$100K+ just like the 290 corridor in Schaumburg or the I-88 corridor in Downers Grove/Naperville. However, we need a much larger educated workforce here. And educated workers demand top notch amenities and don't want to feel like they making huge trade-offs.

There are many stores that I want to come to NWI even though I know that I may never actually purchase anything from there. Why? Because I know that the people who do purchase things from those places will also purchase homes in the area and maintain high property values and also demand the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 10:40 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionAire View Post
@Northwest Indiana: Of course the Region can't compete with many communities in Illinois in terms of amenities...yet.

What specific amenities are missing in Indiana?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What specific amenities are missing in Indiana?
Upscale shopping, more diverse and upscale restaurants, extensive rail transit, just to name a few.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:49 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
People from IL may be moving to NWI, but it doesn't appear to be making up for how many are leaving. Lake County is down in population from 2010.

Lake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 05-23-2014, 12:28 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
People from IL may be moving to NWI, but it doesn't appear to be making up for how many are leaving. Lake County is down in population from 2010.

Lake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Anyone with any knowledge of Lake County, Indiana knows that no statistics that are county-wide are worth looking at when analyzing any metric of desirability, population growth, or other trends. The county has all different extremes and therefore for data to be useful, one must dig into and learn about the different areas within the county to get an accurate portrayal. While there has been significant population decline in the areas of north Lake County, Indiana, there has been a population explosion over the last 10-15 years in central and south Lake County. I don't think anyone on this message board has ever recommended people move from Illinois to northern Lake County, and we are right to do so. Nobody in central and south Lake County cares at all about what the population trends are in northern Lake County. Doesn't affect us one bit.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,383,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Upscale shopping, more diverse and upscale restaurants, extensive rail transit, just to name a few.
the extensive rail is the most important IMO if this region is to come out of the shadows

Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
I feel bad for places like Crete. They DO have that antiquing feel even to this day, but they're too close to the Indiana Border for them to really be able to compete with the residential taxes. I doubt there's anything that CAN be done for these residents.
I guess there will be more EX-Cretians coming to Indiana soon eh?

And I'm not surprised that more production builders are coming into Indiana. Having built a home in Illinois before we bought in Indiana, it's the wild west for home building here … little to no inspections … just get the house up!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I guess there will be more EX-Cretians coming to Indiana soon eh?

And I'm not surprised that more production builders are coming into Indiana. Having built a home in Illinois before we bought in Indiana, it's the wild west for home building here … little to no inspections … just get the house up!
I know that a relative who built in the south suburbs only had like two inspections during their 7 month building process. But I have a family friend who recently built in Burr Ridge and it seemed like they were getting inspections every week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana