Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:23 PM

17 posts, read 49,058 times

Advertisements

While I'm not crazy about the generalization about pick up trucks and mullets, this is still an interesting read. From the Chicago Tribune, dated Sunday, May 11, 2014.
Indiana beckons homebuyers and builders - Chicago Tribune

Last edited by mavisdavis; 05-13-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavisdavis View Post
While I'm not crazy about the generalization about pick up trucks and mullets, this is still an interesting read. From the Chicago Tribune, dated Sunday, May 11, 2014.
Indiana beckons homebuyers and builders - Chicago Tribune
The article is indeed interesting. The most interesting part is actually about how not only Illinois builders are looking to expand into Indiana, but national builders such as D.R. Horton (which already has a presence) and Ryan Homes are looking as well to the area.

One thing that has been overlooked is that despite the large influx of Illinois residents to places such as St. John and Crown Point, there are many more residents from NWI moving to south county areas. I know that in NWI, much of the growth in St. John is from Schererville, Dyer, (not because those towns are bad at all, its just St. John has more room to grow while remaining in the Lake Central School system) as well as Munster and Highland primarily because they are more congested and available land is pricier. Much (if not, most) of the growth in Crown Point is from Merrillville and I know folks from Gary move to CP as a move-up destination. Crown Point also just attracts people from all over NWI in general due to the low cost of new housing in nice neighborhoods and good schools. But this aspect is hardly being reported that much. And I feel like it is probably because the idea of someone moving from Gary to CP may not be good press for most folks

Old 05-14-2014, 02:05 PM

71 posts, read 227,875 times
Why anyone would choose to buy any property in Crook County is beyond me. Welcome aboard. Bring your money, and learn how to stay out of the left lane if that's possible.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:16 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,277 times
And to the same extent, there was this article in the Times yesterday: Crete trustee: More residents may leave for Indiana

When your own town Trustee is admitting he may be jumping ship soon to Indiana, you know your town's in trouble.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:34 PM

277 posts, read 442,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
And to the same extent, there was this article in the Times yesterday: Crete trustee: More residents may leave for Indiana

When your own town Trustee is admitting he may be jumping ship soon to Indiana, you know your town's in trouble.
I feel bad for places like Crete. They DO have that antiquing feel even to this day, but they're too close to the Indiana Border for them to really be able to compete with the residential taxes. I doubt there's anything that CAN be done for these residents.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionAire View Post
Why anyone would choose to buy any property in Crook County is beyond me. Welcome aboard. Bring your money, and learn how to stay out of the left lane if that's possible.
If I were rich and money was of no concern to me, I would buy property in Cook County (Barrington area) in a heartbeat. While places like Crete don't really have much to offer for the taxes compared to a place like Munster or St. John, places like Barrington, Northbrook, Glenview, and The North Shore suburbs do.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
If I were rich and money was of no concern to me, I would buy property in Cook County (Barrington area) in a heartbeat. While places like Crete don't really have much to offer for the taxes compared to a place like Munster or St. John, places like Barrington, Northbrook, Glenview, and The North Shore suburbs do.
Is Barrington even in Cook County? No matter. Barrington, which is not near a state line, is not even close to an apt comparison. Heck, if money were no object why not just buy Buckingham Palace? The real argument is why any sane business owner or resident would prefer to pay never ending tax increases to fund the unholy alliance between government and it's cronies. Mitch Daniels had it right when he said it's like living next door to the Simpsons. We should never stop trying to reap those benefits.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionAire View Post
Is Barrington even in Cook County? No matter. Barrington, which is not near a state line, is not even close to an apt comparison. Heck, if money were no object why not just buy Buckingham Palace? The real argument is why any sane business owner or resident would prefer to pay never ending tax increases to fund the unholy alliance between government and it's cronies. Mitch Daniels had it right when he said it's like living next door to the Simpsons. We should never stop trying to reap those benefits.
Barrington is in both Cook and Lake County. Relax, I was just giving my opinion. And honestly, while most of us in Indiana could not imagine living in some places, there are many other places that myself and others included would live in over where we currently live, IF we could live comfortably.

When you compare a place like Crete and St. John, it seems like more of a no brainer: St. John has much better schools, more upscale housing with lower taxes, closer to shopping areas with a more diverse array of offerings and other amenities. Also, Crete is only a few miles/minutes closer than St. John to Chicago by car.

But when you compare a place like Frankfort and St. John, it is more difficult for some families to make that move. Both are just as far from the city, but Frankfort boasts excellent schools as well as upscale housing options. Frankfort also isn't a shopping mecca like Orland for the area, but it has some offerings such as Mariano's that we don't have in NWI (although we are finally getting our Whole Foods). Despite the higher costs, places like Frankfort, and northern suburbs are enjoying increasing property values because many people still desire to move to those places. I have lived in NWI for the better part of my life; but while I enjoy where I live and I know many others who do, most of us had moved here with our families from south suburban communities who even at the time were really no match for what NWI had to offer. It was not really a competition to draw residents from IL to IN. These days, it is a little more difficult because we cannot just say "hey, we cost less"...we have to say "hey, we cost less AND offer the same services/amenities".

There are some amenities that NWI as a whole may never get, which is fine. But after a while, when I look at ALL of the things that would make for a perfect home for me, places like River Forest, Barrington, Hinsdale, Winnetka, come to mind. I am not saying we need to try to be those places. I am saying that sometimes, people in NWI flex their muscles saying how much better we are than places (usually south suburbs) while forgetting that in fact, there are lots of great things going on in Illinois. The financial situation is not that good as a state. But at the end of the day, I don't see major businesses lining up to fill up the I-65 corridor with upscale office buildings that provide White Collar jobs. Most of those types of businesses that moved to or expanded into Indiana went right to Carmel/Indianapolis. And I think a lot of people forget that the current governor while pulling for Indiana gives more of an advantage to Indianapolis than areas in the northwest corner of the state. I mean, look at all of the infrastructure projects in Indianapolis and then come here.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 43,369 times
I can provide a little insight into our decision between St John and Frankfort, we are in the process of moving to SJ hopefully in the next 5 months or so from Frankfort. This was a really tough decision for us, very tough. When we discussed the possibility of moving we wanted to make sure we found an area similar to Frankfort but didn't come with the $12K/Yr property tax along with it (our taxes were under 8K when we first moved to Frankfort). So we started searching in the St John and Schererville area, similar offerings and amenities, close to Chicago, and the schools were also highly rated as well. That said, we decided to jump the border and make the move. If we had lived in Crete it would of been a no brainer, but Frankfort is a nice area to live but the taxes put the nail in the coffin. It's sad really, while Frankfort is still considered "desirable" there are many people around here who don't think it's worth the extra $$$ any longer. Once that property tax bill comes it really makes you think twice...

I also run a business which is a whole other aspect of moving to Indiana but that's another discussion...

Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 PM

@Northwest Indiana: Of course the Region can't compete with many communities in Illinois in terms of amenities...yet. The demographics here have for the most part never valued the nice little downtowns and cutesy cafés that proliferate in some places in Ill. That's not the argument I'm thinking of. Heck, of course most places in the south suburbs (and I don't necessarily consider Frankfort among the main, average of the south suburbs) don't compare to some of the places you are thinking of. The issue is why live in comparable communities in Illinois if you can save a ton of money by moving to Indiana? Don't like the culture here? Work to change it. Patronize businesses you think support the culture you want...and tell people about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana