Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm a bit stuck, and hopefully someone can help me get unstuck.

I am currently interning at a firm in the Chicago area. Starting July 1st, I will be finishing up my internship at their office in the Loop. Internship ends around the end of August. I'm trying to figure out what the best option would be to commute to work. The options are either the South Shore line from EC or CTA/Pace.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

South Shore Line: Definitely closer, so I'd save a bit on gas in the long run; however, monthly passes are $155.25. There is ample parking, and I'm familiar with the area. Not too concerned about parking my car in the lot. The main drawback, in my opinion, is that the South Shore will mainly take me downtown and home. If I wanted to go out with friends after work, for example, I'll wind up paying a CTA fare on top of the monthly South Shore fare.

CTA: It will take longer to get to the train, so more gas is burned in the process. However, it's cheaper than the South Shore.. CTA is only $100/mo, and gives access to CTA and Pace Buses. It will be much easier to navigate the city. Of course, the CTA is city public transportation rather than commuters, so it's definitely going to be a different crowd. I'd probably park somewhere around 95th, which isn't exactly the best neighborhood; however, I'm really not worried about my car being broken into or anything. I'm also strongly considering a move to NYC next year, so getting used to public transportation might be a good idea.

Third option is taking Pace to Red Line, and then going downtown, but something tells I'll be leaving from home very early..

From my point of view, the cost of both options is more or less the same when factoring gas and monthly price. Any help is greatly appreciated. If there are any other options you all could think of, I would be glad to hear those as well. I drove to the downtown office this past Tuesday, and wound up paying almost $40 for parking. $6 on the street and then $31 when I had to move my car and parked in a garage. My internship cannot support that kind of exorbitant spending!

Thank you all so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 10:13 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
There is a critical piece of information missing in your post: where do you live now?

Re-read your first paragraph as it's confusing. Your internship ends in July and ends in August?

With all of that said, I think you are underestimating the drive to 95th St and subsequently the cost of gas to get there. You may also have difficulty finding a parking space.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:11 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
There is a critical piece of information missing in your post: where do you live now?

Re-read your first paragraph as it's confusing. Your internship ends in July and ends in August?

With all of that said, I think you are underestimating the drive to 95th St and subsequently the cost of gas to get there. You may also have difficulty finding a parking space.
Whoops. It does sound confusing. I'll be working from their downtown office July 1st, and will be there until my internship ends near the end of August. Sorry about that.

I live in Highland near Munster, so I'm pretty close to the IL border. That's partially why I was considering the Pace to Red Line idea.

You're right about me underestimating the cost of gas. I just did a quick comparison on Google Maps (which I probably should have done before this post), and realized that there's a substantial difference in price and miles traveled. Hmm. Decisions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana