Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:16 AM

255 posts, read 414,705 times

Advertisements

As many people say on here, Valparaiso is great for the schools, but will that continue? While teachers have been able to do great things with the little resources they have (throughout the district), new(er) facilities are needed at both the elementary and high school level. The VCS district (school board) started talking about getting new facilities in 2008..... and really nothing has happened. They've done a building study and that's about it, seems like they've been playing with their thumbs for the past 6 years. A referendum is needed to make renovations and/or building new facilities. Will the referendum (depending on what is included in it) pass? Valparaiso (Center Twp.) residents need to look at the bigger picture and see the need for a 21st Century education with technological resources. Many in Valpo live by "the status quo" and aren't willing to change. The theme in Rocky IV or "Everybody Can Change" is definitely needed to be embraced in Valpo.
We need to get something resolved and upgrade our buildings or this will turn into the Crown Point Community Schools debacle of the 90s when many people moved out due to lack of progression with new facilities. I know that newer facilities don't necessarily mean better students and test scores, but they do create motivation, pride, and a better feelings throughout the district. What is your opinion on the Valparaiso Community Schools District at this point and do you think a referendum to improve facilities is needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:14 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,862 times
I don't think you're alone with your opinion. Many of the neighboring districts (rural and suburban... for example Hebron, Hobart, Chesterton, Crown Point) have all built new high schools within the past 15 years and Valpo's is definitely showing its age.

I've been in the VHS facilities and it was very worn... clean, but with really bad design and not suitable for the modern era. Classrooms were not technology equipped, and you had to go upstairs and down a corridor to get to the main office.

I would be hopeful that if there is mayoral support and a well-run campaign, that a referendum could pass.

At the bottom line though, Valpo schools still show good numbers for graduation rates, college placement, and IDOE ratings.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:18 PM

17,398 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Improve facilities yes. I'm all for a referendum. I'm all in favor of an elected and not appointed school board as well, but that will probably never happen.

Do away w/ neighborhood schools in favor of grade centers and build a new high school? No. Definitely not.

There is no better place geographically for VHS first of all. Second, I don't for a second believe that the school can't be redone/remodeled/improved. Some of the best high schools in the country are in buildings older than VHS (early 70s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
I've been in the VHS facilities and it was very worn... clean, but with really bad design and not suitable for the modern era. Classrooms were not technology equipped, and you had to go upstairs and down a corridor to get to the main office.
I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the main office. The main office is literally right inside the front door on Campbell.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
There is no better place geographically for VHS first of all. Second, I don't for a second believe that the school can't be redone/remodeled/improved. Some of the best high schools in the country are in buildings older than VHS (early 70s).
I suppose they could, I wouldn't see any reason not to consider a renovation. I just hope they do something before the facility falls even further behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the main office. The main office is literally right inside the front door on Campbell.
I had to go in through a designated door at the northwest side of the building, so, if you say the main office is on the Campbell side, I'll believe you. By the time I found the office, I was so disoriented that I didn't know where I was... the building is like a maze.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:52 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Default Update

Well, here it goes!

Valparaiso committee "blitzing" community to support school referendums

Old 04-06-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I would be shocked if it didn't pass .... it has tremendous support here.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:31 PM

And here we go! YES!!

VALPO SCHOOLS CONT PROJECT REF
VOTE FOR 1
(WITH 15 OF 32 PRECINCTS COUNTED 46.88%)
YES . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,502 63.03
NO. . . . . . . . . . . . . 881 36.97
VALPO SCHOOL OPERATING REF
VOTE FOR 1
(WITH 15 OF 32 PRECINCTS COUNTED 46.88%)
YES . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,496 62.88
NO. . . . . . . . . . . . . 883 37.12

Old 02-17-2016, 05:54 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Old thread, but has anything come out of this?

Old 02-17-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Old thread, but has anything come out of this?
It did pass! There are some concrete plans. I am not sure how the board/superintendent proceeded through the development of the final plans, but if you search either the VCS website or the local newspapers you will find some details. New high school entrance, new elementary school south of 30, lots of technology for students in all buildings. Those were some of the highlights that I remember from the recent announcements.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:36 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Default Redistricting

This article just came out: Redistricting coming to Valpo schools

Clearly this is necessary due to the introduction of the new elementary school and it seems as though they are trying to maintain neighborhood schools. I think the item that would be most contested would be at the middle school level as the redistricting there would not necessarily be convenient for everyone as the purpose is solely to balance out enrollment for now and not to make it more convenient for students.

But perhaps, the largest change would be 5th graders attending middle school (which personally, I do not like).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana