Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:00 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I was speaking more to the racist remark. I honestly don't know what LaPorte is like, but comments like that are unnecessary and infractible.
Ya know, I've been coming on here and seeing crap like that so much that it didn't even register with me. I guess I've learned to ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 11,386 times
My apologies if I offended anyone out there. Please give me another phrase for a bunch of unemployed, drug dealing, teen impregnating, losers who happen to be

Last edited by domergurl; 01-15-2008 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: come on now ...

Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
You could stop at "losers" ... losers come in every shape and color.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
My apologies if I offended anyone out there. Please give me another phrase for a bunch of unemployed, drug dealing, teen impregnating, losers who happen to be
Do you know these guys personally or are you stereotyping because they happen to look a certain way?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 AM

17 posts, read 45,960 times
Wow I grew up in Merrillville IN just down the road from LaPorte. At the time it was a small farming area. Must have changed a lot since we moved 13 years ago. You need to just look around and see what you like. Most of the towns just merge together. You will not be far from Valpariaso Look that up and see if that helps.Chesterton was also a nice area to live.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryeguy View Post
My family is moving to LaPorte in May, job related, and I know nothing about Indiana period! I hear it is a nice little town- any information or insight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I am surprised that tinlizzy's opinion of LaPorte is just this!

I moved here two years ago to find a solid place to settle down for my family of five. Having lived in Michigan City for five years and having grown up in Valparaiso, I felt Laporte possessed the good points of either cities. The small town atmosphere as well as location. The schools are safe and rated well, as most the others in the area -- Valparaiso School System and Duneland (Chesterton) School System. It's a very small, quiet town with basically a few grocery stores and a Super Wal-Mart. I travel to Michigan City to work and dine out. There are plenty of great places for families such as the Pine Lake and Soldier Memorial Park to enjoy the outdoors, fish or picnic, SAFELY. Honestly, I have no complaints about LaPorte!

But, in regards to tinlizzy's remark about the "type" of people in LaPorte -- what you seek, you shall find. And obviously, she has been looking...cause I haven't seen them!LOL Best of Luck!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsymom View Post
I am surprised that tinlizzy's opinion of LaPorte is just this!

I moved here two years ago to find a solid place to settle down for my family of five. Having lived in Michigan City for five years and having grown up in Valparaiso, I felt Laporte possessed the good points of either cities. The small town atmosphere as well as location. The schools are safe and rated well, as most the others in the area -- Valparaiso School System and Duneland (Chesterton) School System. It's a very small, quiet town with basically a few grocery stores and a Super Wal-Mart. I travel to Michigan City to work and dine out. There are plenty of great places for families such as the Pine Lake and Soldier Memorial Park to enjoy the outdoors, fish or picnic, SAFELY. Honestly, I have no complaints about LaPorte!

But, in regards to tinlizzy's remark about the "type" of people in LaPorte -- what you seek, you shall find. And obviously, she has been looking...cause I haven't seen them!LOL Best of Luck!
Now, that's the picture I have in my mind of LaPorte.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:26 PM

10 posts, read 46,682 times
hello everyone I am new here. I suppose you get out of a town you live in by what you offer. If you are close minded you will see all the negative am I right.
God help us all..amen.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM

21 posts, read 89,303 times
I sure hope the racist remarks are the exception and not the rule in Indiana.
One of the things that really appealed to me in my visits to Northern Indiana was the people. They are all so down to Earth and seem inherently good.

One of the biggest things I want to escape Middle TN for is the racism. It's so commonplace and disgusting, it drives me insane. The people here seem to be still fighting the civil war and I've heard the "N" word more in the 5 years I have been here from the ignorant locals than in my first 30 years of life before moving to Tennessee.

I would hate to think that racism is as big a problem in Indiana as it is here.
I know it exists everywhere to some degree, but growing up in NY, it was a melting pot of cultures, religions and ethnicities.

My service time in the US Navy after moving away from NY brought me to a lot of different places in the world. I have lived in Florida, Connecticut, San Diego, Hawaii, Vancouver, Michigan and even Alaska. And for as often as I hear "these problems exist everywhere", I have to say, that is a misrepresentation.

They may exist everywhere, but the levels that they exist are extremely varying. I can safely say that there is more racism here in Tennessee than any other place I have ever lived. Florida would be 2nd on the list. San Diego and NY had virtually none of those problems and during my time in Vancouver I literally experienced none of it.

So it definitely doesn't happen everywhere and it definitely happens in some places more than others. That is simply a fact.

In my experiences in Northern Indiana, which i will admit are limited to only trips up to South Bend for ND games, I have experienced none of it. Everyone I have ever met from that part of the country thus far has been extremely tolerant of different cultures, ethnicities and religions. So far.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM

10 posts, read 46,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroverCleveland View Post
I sure hope the racist remarks are the exception and not the rule in Indiana.
One of the things that really appealed to me in my visits to Northern Indiana was the people. They are all so down to Earth and seem inherently good.

One of the biggest things I want to escape Middle TN for is the racism. It's so commonplace and disgusting, it drives me insane. The people here seem to be still fighting the civil war and I've heard the "N" word more in the 5 years I have been here from the ignorant locals than in my first 30 years of life before moving to Tennessee.

I would hate to think that racism is as big a problem in Indiana as it is here.
I know it exists everywhere to some degree, but growing up in NY, it was a melting pot of cultures, religions and ethnicities.

My service time in the US Navy after moving away from NY brought me to a lot of different places in the world. I have lived in Florida, Connecticut, San Diego, Hawaii, Vancouver, Michigan and even Alaska. And for as often as I hear "these problems exist everywhere", I have to say, that is a misrepresentation.

They may exist everywhere, but the levels that they exist are extremely varying. I can safely say that there is more racism here in Tennessee than any other place I have ever lived. Florida would be 2nd on the list. San Diego and NY had virtually none of those problems and during my time in Vancouver I literally experienced none of it.

So it definitely doesn't happen everywhere and it definitely happens in some places more than others. That is simply a fact.

In my experiences in Northern Indiana, which i will admit are limited to only trips up to South Bend for ND games, I have experienced none of it. Everyone I have ever met from that part of the country thus far has been extremely tolerant of different cultures, ethnicities and religions. So far.
thanks Grover I know we will like the place ..in South Bend, IN I am of many backgrounds and it rolls off my back , you want good you do and show good. thank again also for serving this fine land. Bless you from tigerslaney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana