Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 AM

863 posts, read 2,785,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Why is that? Have you ever lived in LaPorte?
artemis, on these forums, you've never even have to been to a place to have an opinion on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 10:04 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
artemis, on these forums, you've never even have to been to a place to have an opinion on it.
Thank you. It's an anonymous forum; we can share our experiences on any place whether or not we have lived there. One does not need to have lived (or even visited) a place to have an opinion on it. That opinion may have less data backing it up than someone who has lived there, but we are all entitled to our opinion. I hate when people try to deny others the 'right' to having an opinion just b/c they happen to disagree.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:21 AM

863 posts, read 2,785,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Thank you. It's an anonymous forum; we can share our experiences on any place whether or not we have lived there. One does not need to have lived (or even visited) a place to have an opinion on it. That opinion may have less data backing it up than someone who has lived there, but we are all entitled to our opinion. I hate when people try to deny others the 'right' to having an opinion just b/c they happen to disagree.
Please show me where anyone has tried to deny your right to express your opinion. If one does express an opinion publicly, he or she better be prepared to back it up or defend themselves when others disagree. Just like you, and anyone else, have the right to express what you believe, I, and anyone else, have the right to call it BS.

Last edited by skyeINIL; 02-25-2008 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 PM

What I was referring to is when my opinion that I wouldn't want to live in LaPorte was questioned based on whether or not I've lived there in the past. I wasn't denied the right to an opinion, but was questioned about it with what I saw as an underlying assumption that my opinion had little (if any) value unless I have lived there in the past.
For me, it's boring enough to live in Lake County, which is close to Chicago. I think this area is horrible for younger single people. I'd imagine it would be even harder for me in LaPorte area. For those reasons, I would not want to live there. If I were older and had a family, maybe, but even then....

Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,744,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
I asked her why she wouldn't want to live there. That's a legitimate question.

I don't give opinions on places I've never spent time in. I've lived in several different states, and I have opinions on those places. I am from Lake County, Indiana, and am totally familiar with the cities therein. And, most of Porter County too. On those cities I offer my opinion.

As far as cities I am not familiar with, no, I don't offer my opinion. What would I base it on?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 PM

Anyone can give their opinion, even if they don't have that much first-hand data on the topic. I'm familiar with Lake County and am not very happy here (though Ill probably be gone soon). My guess is that I'd be much less happy in LaPorte, for some of the reasons mentioned in my last post.

You can give your opinion on cities you don't know too well if you're so inclined. The best bet would have been for me to qualify my opinion of LaPorte with a statement indicating that I have not spent much time there.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,780 times
I disagree. I have lived in La Porte for 7 years and my wife and I think it’s an excellent place to raise a family. La Porte is only a few minutes from Michigan City which has most of your basic big box retail stores, theatres, zoo, and lakefront.

There are some rednecks in the area but please do not label everyone in La Porte as white trash. There are plenty of people who are not.

Look at these pictures of La Porte
la porte indiana 1 of 2 06-11-2007 (http://www.robertpence.com/20070611_laporte_01.html - broken link)

Last edited by Bob Rogers; 03-05-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 AM

11 posts, read 80,283 times
You can find rednecks everywhere, even in Chicago or LA or NY or ... They are a Hopefully fading constant. LaPorte is and will always be what you make of it. Michigan City is close and Chicago about 45 minutes. What can't you find to do? That is your limitation, not the place. If you are bored there, you would probably be bored anywhere with time. Enough said. LaPorte has good things and bad things, guess it will always depend on you and yours. What and when you want to do things and the availability at the time. That goes anywhere. Chicago has things always happening and the train ride via South Shore is easy to downtown. then learn the bus/train lines and most things are possible. Drive and more things are available. Chicago is not scary, unless you make it so, but neither is LaPorte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana