Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2015, 06:54 AM
 
30 posts, read 70,313 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Eh. Depends on the exact area, but I would stay away from northern and eastern Griffith.

I'm not sure if I would look too hard in Griffith.
I see. Thanks. I'll stick to Munster highland and dyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM
 
2,888 posts, read 6,750,010 times
Reputation: 2148
Griffith is ok as long as you stay away from the Mansards apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2015, 09:47 AM
 
30 posts, read 70,313 times
Reputation: 20
Okay. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2015, 09:51 PM
 
30 posts, read 70,313 times
Reputation: 20
Has anyone heard anything about the apartment complex called Hampton In Highland? It's on Azalea Dr.

I take the handful of reviews online with a grain of salt. Reviews for my current complex in Chicago's loop were terrible and it's the best management company I've ever dealt with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 02:20 AM
 
5 posts, read 6,854 times
Reputation: 10
Some thoughts:
I've never heard positive things about Hampton In Highland.
I'd also avoid most parts of Griffith. I agree that the further south you go the better it is. Downtown is really starting to fill in with some nice local businesses.
Somewhere else to look is the north side of Schererville. Schererville borders Dyer, Munster, & Highland and the north end of town is a fine commute.
You could also consider Hobart. If your close enough to a highway interchange getting to the EC South Shore station is quick. I live in Schererville and can get to the train station from my moms in Hobart faster than from my own at busy times of day.

I would also suggest looking into using the East Chicago station. The parking situation is much better. Plus if you're using 80/94 at all, taking Cline Ave north to Michigan and straight to the station is easy. It's also a good station from parts of Highland or Griffith via Cline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 01:56 PM
 
30 posts, read 70,313 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifuz View Post
Some thoughts:
I've never heard positive things about Hampton In Highland.
I'd also avoid most parts of Griffith. I agree that the further south you go the better it is. Downtown is really starting to fill in with some nice local businesses.
Somewhere else to look is the north side of Schererville. Schererville borders Dyer, Munster, & Highland and the north end of town is a fine commute.
You could also consider Hobart. If your close enough to a highway interchange getting to the EC South Shore station is quick. I live in Schererville and can get to the train station from my moms in Hobart faster than from my own at busy times of day.

I would also suggest looking into using the East Chicago station. The parking situation is much better. Plus if you're using 80/94 at all, taking Cline Ave north to Michigan and straight to the station is easy. It's also a good station from parts of Highland or Griffith via Cline.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Seems like I may just strike out with apartments in the area ... Could buy a house but I'd like to stay mobile for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 02:04 PM
 
172 posts, read 239,890 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetJones View Post
It is perfectly safe, though you might consider other stations (particularly East Chicago) as the one in Hammond has pretty limited parking. Check nictd.com for more information.
This is not true.
The Hammond South Shore stop is absolutely, positively by no means 'perfectly safe' ala by suburban standards.

Its on its best day 'OK' but in a marginal area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Hoosierville
17,466 posts, read 14,710,390 times
Reputation: 11686
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
This is not true.
The Hammond South Shore stop is absolutely, positively by no means 'perfectly safe' ala by suburban standards.

Its on its best day 'OK' but in a marginal area.


I would suggest one shouldn't consider venturing into Chicago then if they're too much of a chicken to use the Hammond South Shore station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 08:28 PM
 
172 posts, read 239,890 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post


I would suggest one shouldn't consider venturing into Chicago then if they're too much of a chicken to use the Hammond South Shore station.
I would suggest you are a graduate of the Chicago Public School systems if you somehow read what I said, in relation to what she said, as being relevant to ones 'courage'.

Point of Fact: Hammond SS Stop NOT "perfectly safe" and I'm not resting that statement on semantics, either.
Its not even 'particularly safe'. That entire area is a craphole. Maybe not by the Mad Max standards of the nearby Southeast part of Chicago or Gary, but its a dump.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-18-2015 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2015, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Hoosierville
17,466 posts, read 14,710,390 times
Reputation: 11686
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
I would suggest you are a graduate of the Chicago Public School systems if you somehow read what I said, in relation to what she said, as being relevant to ones 'courage'.

Point of Fact: Hammond SS Stop NOT "perfectly safe" and I'm not resting that statement on semantics, either.
Its not even 'particularly safe'. That entire area is a craphole. Maybe not by the Mad Max standards of the nearby Southeast part of Chicago or Gary, but its a dump.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I am a CPS grad, btw. But don't worry, I'm certainly not all butt hurt all over what you said ... I seem to recall a first lady who was also a CPS grad. Oh, yeah. Suze Orman & Hugh Hefner as well .

But whatever. The SS stop in Hammond is fine.

Last edited by Yac; 02-18-2015 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top