Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:53 PM

172 posts, read 239,301 times

Advertisements

Whatever, Pollyanna.
We can listen to statistics, or you.
I wonder which is more trustworthy?

That part of Hammond = Dump. The figures don't lie. When assaults, car thefts are radically higher than the state and national norms, thats an indicator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 05:45 AM

17,394 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
Whatever, Pollyanna.

That part of Hammond = Dump. The figures don't lie. When assaults, car thefts are radically higher than the state and national norms, thats an indicator.
You know what's interesting St. Augustine? That the crime in St. Augustine isn't THAT much different than Hammond - and is definitely higher than national norms.

//www.city-data.com/city/St.-Au...e-Florida.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Hammond-Indiana.html

It's pretty interesting that a city that's more diverse, less educated and less wealthy has crime rates that are overall pretty similar to the town where you derive your name.

In fact, did you know that one would be more likely to be raped in St. Augustine than Hammond? Or that the crime of theft is MUCH higher in St. Augustine than Hammond, Indiana? Oh .. and this: the crime rate per 100,000 in 2012 FOR MURDER is the EXACT same in St. Augustine as it is in Hammond.

So, I guess that makes the town that is your namesake (and I can only assume that you live in Florida since you've posted more in those forums) just as much of a dump as Hammond.

Last edited by Chuckity; 02-07-2015 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: I r dum cps grad. Grammar errors.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:14 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
I've parked my car and caught the South Shore at Gary Metro more than once. Me and my car both survived. I can't imagine Hammond being that bad.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:11 AM

141 posts, read 217,526 times
Back to your question, I live in Crown Point and commute to the loop for work everyday and use the East Chicago station. The parking lot there is huge, but it is a very crowded station. The parking situation at the Hammond station is pretty bad, especially considering that Metra raised the rates, so it is now more expensive to use the Hegewisch station than Hammond. If you are commuting during normal working hours, you should be fine.

As far as apartment complexes, there is a good site with reviews (apartmentratings.com). I used to live at Prairie Point in Merrillville, and while it is the most expensive apartment in NWI (around 1000 for 1 bedroom, 1200 for 2 bedroom), it is the nicest. I also lived at Barberry in Dyer, and while they are older apartments, they are in a safe suburban area, and decent. The rent is reasonable too (around 700-800 for 2 bedroom). The amenities are not all that great though.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You know what's interesting St. Augustine? That the crime in St. Augustine isn't THAT much different than Hammond - and is definitely higher than national norms.

//www.city-data.com/city/St.-Au...e-Florida.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Hammond-Indiana.html

It's pretty interesting that a city that's more diverse, less educated and less wealthy has crime rates that are overall pretty similar to the town where you derive your name.

In fact, did you know that one would be more likely to be raped in St. Augustine than Hammond? Or that the crime of theft is MUCH higher in St. Augustine than Hammond, Indiana? Oh .. and this: the crime rate per 100,000 in 2012 FOR MURDER is the EXACT same in St. Augustine as it is in Hammond.

So, I guess that makes the town that is your namesake (and I can only assume that you live in Florida since you've posted more in those forums) just as much of a dump as Hammond.
Hahahahaha! The absolute most expensive house currently listed in Hammond, Indiana costs less than an undeveloped building lot in some of the better communities in St Augustine. The problem here is that you know absolutely nothing about St Augustine but feel a need to 'defend' Hammond, so as someone who knows a good bit about both, you couldn't be any more clueless or absurd.

"St Augustine" as far as "The City of St Augustine" for statistical purposes is a small area (12 square miles, less than 1/2 the size of Hammond) that encompasses a college and historically black neighborhood, however "St Augustine" is used as a shorthand for St Johns County, which is #1 in Florida for Household Income, Family Income, highest performing primary education, some of the lowest unemployment, has houses like this...

REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

... whereas the lions share of contemporary Hammond is a typical post-industrial wasteland of drunkards, addicts, Social Security Disability professionals in a state of terminal decay.

You're definitely not going to win a 'comparison battle' between Hammond, Indiana...

and St Augustine, Florida.

Read Sun Tzu. Don't engage in battles you cannot win.

Last edited by StAugustine; 02-07-2015 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Hahahahaha! The absolute most expensive house currently listed in Hammond, Indiana costs less than an undeveloped building lot in some of the better communities in St Augustine. The problem here is that you know absolutely nothing about St Augustine but feel a need to 'defend' Hammond, so as someone who knows a good bit about both, you couldn't be any more clueless or absurd.

"St Augustine" as far as "The City of St Augustine" for statistical purposes is a small area (12 square miles, less than 1/2 the size of Hammond) that encompasses a college and historically black neighborhood, however "St Augustine" is used as a shorthand for St Johns County, which is #1 in Florida for Household Income, Family Income, highest performing primary education, some of the lowest unemployment, has houses like this...

REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

... whereas the lions share of contemporary Hammond is a typical post-industrial wasteland of drunkards, addicts, Social Security Disability professionals in a state of terminal decay.

You're definitely not going to win a 'comparison battle' between Hammond, Indiana...

and St Augustine, Florida.

Read Sun Tzu. Don't engage in battles you cannot win.
Um, yeah. That's exactly what I said - isn't it strange that a town like Hammond that's residents are less educated & possess less wealth is statistically fairly similar in crime statistics at your Floridian town? And in some categories has LESS crime?

Here's something you might find helpful in the future: Reading Is Fundamental

Buh bye.

Last edited by Chuckity; 02-07-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 12:05 PM

Yeah, I explained that. Its because you don't understand what "St Augustine" actually is.
It's kinda like how everyone who lives in Chicagoland says they're from "Chicago" when in reality they may live in Lisle... only in the case of St Augustine, the "Chicago" everyone says they're from is only 12 square miles.

The most apt statistical comparison is St Johns County.

Now, about reading being fundamental...

Old 02-07-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I explained that. Its because you don't understand what "St Augustine" actually is.
It's kinda like how everyone who lives in Chicagoland says they're from "Chicago" when in reality they may live in Lisle... only in the case of St Augustine, the "Chicago" everyone says they're from is only 12 square miles.

The most apt statistical comparison is St Johns County.

Now, about reading being fundamental...

Old 02-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The fact you're seriously taking up for the case of the Hammond South Shore stop as being 'perfectly safe' reveals you have no intellectual integrity whatsoever.

You're the sort of man who believes what he wants to believe in spite of the facts.

As far as the stats go, if you didn't see that Rapes went from 15% to 55% in one year and DIDN'T understood what that implied statistically, well, again. Chicago Public Schools. I'm sure you can urinate your name in the snow just fine.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
The fact you're seriously taking up for the case of the Hammond South Shore stop as being 'perfectly safe' reveals you have no intellectual integrity whatsoever.

You're the sort of man who believes what he wants to believe in spite of the facts.

As far as the stats go, if you didn't see that Rapes went from 15% to 55% in one year and DIDN'T understood what that implied statistically, well, again. Chicago Public Schools. I'm sure you can urinate your name in the snow just fine.
So wrong ... about so many things.

Buh bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana