Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 PM

17,474 posts, read 14,718,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang219 View Post
I can easily travel from St. John to downtown in 30-45 minutes.

C'mon - really? Maybe you could get to the city limits in 30 - but to downtown?

It's at least 35 miles from St. John to, let's say Michigan & Randolph.

I'll buy 45 min. off peak - but under that? Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,751,320 times
I used to leave Griffith & go straight up Cline Ave & onto the Skyway Bridge. From there up to the city and Superior Ave (Gino's East) in 30 minutes time.

I was haulin you-know-what tho. I don't think it could be done in work traffic.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I used to leave Griffith & go straight up Cline Ave & onto the Skyway Bridge. From there up to the city and Superior Ave (Gino's East) in 30 minutes time.

I was haulin you-know-what tho. I don't think it could be done in work traffic.

I'd drive pretty fast for good pizza too. Indiana pizza sucks.

Seriously, I can see that route to downtown in that time, but St. John to downtown? Only in that hovercraft I thought we'd be driving by now.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,771,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I'd drive pretty fast for good pizza too. Indiana pizza sucks.

Seriously, I can see that route to downtown in that time, but St. John to downtown? Only in that hovercraft I thought we'd be driving by now.
Region pizza doesn't suck as bad as the rest of the state. At least you have some of the Chicago pizzaria's in the region .. Giordanno's, Edwardos ... and you also have Aurelios. With the exception for the Nancy's pizza in Fishers and the I'm Stuffed restaurant in North Vernon ... ugh ... it's a pizza wasteland. I've been down this street before with this group ... I'll stop.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Region pizza doesn't suck as bad as the rest of the state. At least you have some of the Chicago pizzaria's in the region .. Giordanno's, Edwardos ... and you also have Aurelios. With the exception for the Nancy's pizza in Fishers and the I'm Stuffed restaurant in North Vernon ... ugh ... it's a pizza wasteland. I've been down this street before with this group ... I'll stop.
I remember going to a business dinner at a pizza place years ago in Indy - and um, the Pope's head was in the middle of the table. Weird.

Anyway, I was much younger then and that's when I realized NEVER to order pizza anywhere outside of Chicagoland.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I remember going to a business dinner at a pizza place years ago in Indy - and um, the Pope's head was in the middle of the table. Weird.

Anyway, I was much younger then and that's when I realized NEVER to order pizza anywhere outside of Chicagoland.
I'm Hungryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM

211 posts, read 948,633 times
Having lived in Chicago now for 16 years I have to say both my husband and I love House of Pizza in Indiana (I don't remember if that is Hammond or Highland). Everytime we go to Indiana to visit my folks they order it for us. I really like thin crust so probably not a good judge of Chicago style. I love all the Italian and NY style pizza places that have been opening here. We have a pretty good one in Wicker Park called Peace. There have been a couple of brick fire Italian style pizza places opening and I love that pizza also. Pizza DOC in Lincoln Square is one of my favorites.

We are actually pretty confused on where to move. Jumping all over the place. Now considering Highland, Chesterton or Portage. Highland is closer to my family and much closer to Chicago. We have been looking for about a year now and already checked out homes in Munster and Highland (and nearly made an offer on a Munster home). I don't know much about St John but I thought it was pretty far from the South Shore. Valpo is probably out because the commute would just be too much. My husband loves that town though. I'm probably the opposite of most people when it comes to homes. I'd like something that needs some updating and since we don't have kids I prefer it on the smaller side. Don't want to have a big house to clean. Highland is probably the best bet for us but there is something tempting about having more land.

Thank you everyone for you insight.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:59 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,377,946 times
Oh my gosh.....House of Pizza---I do think it's Hammond---We run over there we when visit a family member. I've not had it for awhile, but their garlic bread was amazing.

BTW Dgurl---I printed out the map---Stuffed is on the weekend agenda.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Oh my gosh.....House of Pizza---I do think it's Hammond---We run over there we when visit a family member. I've not had it for awhile, but their garlic bread was amazing.

BTW Dgurl---I printed out the map---Stuffed is on the weekend agenda.
Let me know how you like it!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 PM

211 posts, read 948,633 times
Can someone please tell me what the traffic is like in Valpo? We are going there in a couple of weeks to check out a couple of homes and the area and want to know about how long it would take to get to the South Shore. Does 49 get heavy traffic. One of the homes we are considering is about 11 miles from the train station. The other is 10 miles.

Thank you.
Christine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana