Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:51 AM

211 posts, read 947,965 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Indiana. He really would like land. We both work in downtown Chicago. I grew up in Hammond and used to commute daily which was painless however I'm wondering about the commute times from Valparaiso and Schererville. I've lived in the city now for 15 years so am not too familiar with the different areas anymore. We have narrowed our search to Valparaiso and Schererville based on my brother's recommendations. He currently lives in Highland. I know Valparaiso is a lot further but the downtown area looks very nice. Does Schererville have a nice downtown area? Anyone commute from these areas? How painful is it? Which would you choose if you had the choice? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 PM

440 posts, read 329,490 times
In 2002 I sold my home in Chicago Heights and purchased a home in Hobart, IN which is just west of Valparaiso. I loved living in Hobart, but commuting downtown (approximately 3.5 hours a day) 5 days a week was depressingly brutal. After 3 years and feeling like I would go insane, I sold my home there and moved back to Illinois.

Also a word of caution with regard to the Southshore commuter train: It is expensive (my monthly ticket from Gary to Randolph was $153.00 a month back in 2005 and may have increased since I rode it last) archaic, smelly (because of its age and the bathrooms) and not very reliable. Because of its design (no double deckers and shorter individual cars like Metra) the noise level is defeaning. The majority of people who live in northwest Indiana have been commuting downtown Chicago for decades because there are no decent paying jobs there. Additionally, those who sit in the 4 seaters (groupings) are loud, rude, obnoxious and are very territorial; don't forget to allow patience for the loud, long cell phone conversations that occur early and often. I actually sat a few rows ahead of a girl who loudly discussed the reason why she never wore panties and this was at 7 AM on a crowded train. For some bizarre reason, no matter how many times I changed cars seeking a little peace and quiet, I never found one. Lots of oblivious people desperate to draw attention to themselves.

Oh and there is no train station in Valpo. Gary was the closest train station, Gary's station is old, filthy and is scarey as hell.

I am in my mid 40's and while age may be part of the reason for my lack of tolerance for the 3.5 hour a day commute and the overwhelming level of noise, IMHO there is no excuse for rudeness and back of the bus high school behavior that I witnessed on a daily basis.

Last edited by Preaching2thechoir; 01-09-2008 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 01:37 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
The Dune Acres South Shore station is in Chesterton at the end of state road 49 and not a bad station at all. The commute via train is long long long ... be prepared for 2 hours door to door. I knew folks who van pooled into the city from Valpo and loved it.

You may want to look at Chesterton to lessen the time to get to the train.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:08 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,737,257 times
Although you are making me homesick (I grew up in Highland!) I wouldn't recommend a commute from Valpo unless you are extremely tolerant of a long ride, and the hazards mentioned above. Either that, or bring some work to do and a good set of headphones!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 PM

128 posts, read 172,856 times
I can not comment on the commute, but I have been to Vapparaiso several times and it is a beautiful area. Beats out much of the endles sprawl that is the western burbs.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,391,991 times
Scherreville has no downtown to speak of
Why not consider Munster which is just off the I80-94?
Great schools and character. With the real estate market the way it is, you should find something nice.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 30,851 times
Valpo is a great area. I lived there for quite some time before moving to Chesterton. It will be a long commute.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:11 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
If youre looking for land you will have to look toward southern Lake County. Or go even further west than Valpo. Making your commute even longer.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 AM

10 posts, read 60,934 times
Default Commute from Schererville!

I am a Schererville resident who recently moved here from Hammond. I commute to Chicago for work on S. Wacker near the Sear's Tower, just north of Congress and it takes me about 40 minutes from the time I leave my house (roughly just west of the US30/US41 Intersection). Valparaiso is a nice town, but it is still 30 minutes farther of a drive. You would drive about 1 hour 15 minutes from Valpo to downtown Chicago (assuming you took the Indiana Toll Road, which is the quickest route, but also it will cost you more ($2.50 each way on the Skyway, and about $2.50 each way in tolls = $10/day in tolls).

When I go to work, I take US 30 West to IL-394 North (takes 10 minutes), which is basically the far south end of the Bishop Ford Expressway. Go north five miles and your at the I-80/94 interchange (5 minutes), and Chicago is only 25 minutes from there.

I would highly recommend Schererville, Dyer, or Saint John. The cost of living is higher here than in Valpo, but if you'll still be working in Chicago, it will be worth paying more than to spend more time in the car and pay more in gas and tolls. Schererville doesn't have much of a downtown, just about a 1/4 strip of road that doesn't have much to do or see. Crown Point has a nice downtown with a town square just like Valpo's, but with a beautiful historic Courthouse (Google search it). Lowell has a nice downtown area also, but is about 15 minutes farther than Schererville. You can find much more land around Lowell and the surrounding areas than in Schererville. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 PM

51 posts, read 169,398 times
I would definitely agree with JoeyBLS. I would chose St. John, Schererville, Dyer, Crown Point, or Munster as great communities to live in and commute to Chicago. I can easily travel from St. John to downtown in 30-45 minutes.

All of the communities above are safe areas with a great quality of life. There are plenty of parks, bike paths, carnivals, retail, and restaurants to keep you and your family active and entertained. The schools are great as well and there are plenty of nice, quality homes all over. I am amazed at how these towns have really taken off over the last decade and I hope that with proper planning they will only get better!

I really like Valpo as well so I would encourage you to check out the town to decide for yourself. However, I personally think there are too many great places to live closer to Chicago that I don't need to move any farther out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana