Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM
mfb mfb started this thread

7 posts, read 11,698 times

Advertisements

New to this forum-have been reading lots of posts but decided to take the plunge and ask some specifics. My apologies if these have been asked...I did try to read up!

We are considering moving from the North suburbs of Chicago to NWI due to business (family business) being less expensive (to run here vs. Chicago) and also housing/taxes being less expensive. Hubby and I have 3 kids, a dog and both grew up in the suburbs. We like the idea of a quieter (but not too quiet) lifestyle and it seems like NWI could fit the bill. Top of our list is good schools, safety and nice family friendly area with opportunities for good sports programs as one of our kids is very athletic.

The thought of a nice downtown area is appealing, sort of a city center...and I like cool book stores or coffee shops that aren't always a Starbucks! Nice local family owned shops are great too as I prefer to shop that way if possible.

I'd love local farmers markets and an area to be a part of a dairy co-op or share.

Is all of this too much to ask?

I'm a little put off by the snow totals I always see but hey, I guess I've been mostly living it too (just always seems a little worse in NWI).

Commute to Chicago isn't a huge factor but we will likely go back for visits with friends and family.

All of this leads me to think Crown Point (from what I've read) but am I missing something? Haven't visited yet but one of the business owners is visiting this weekend to start looking around the Chesterton area.

All feedback appreciated.

One thought after reading still more posts-lots of people say that Munster is top rated for schools. I definitely want great schools but personally we are involved parents and try to stay on top of our kids to keep them responsible for their work. We are in a school right now that has a terrible rating bc of test scores (ESL kids are tested in English and the school wonders why the scores are low?!) but we are happy with the teachers and with our children's progress. So, if anyone has personal experience rather than test scores only that would be helpful.

Last edited by mfb; 03-03-2015 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: added another question...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 02:30 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,363,454 times
personally I prefer the Chesterton area over the likes of Munster and Crown Point as it has easy access to the Dunes National Lakeshore which offers world class nature and hiking, and has quick access to the South Shore line. in terms of downtowns, Valparaiso is probably your best bet. hobart also has a nice little downtown but for some reason rarely gets mentioned on this forum.

Another option is Porter, which is basically an extension of Chesterton and has a rather quaint country-like "downtown". Michigan City might be a bit far, but has a wonderful beachfront area tht may be one of the most underrated in the greater Chicagoland area.

many choices actually, and congrats on your choice, Northwest Indiana is, imo, the best suburban area in the metro...and not JUST for taxes, there is a ton of diversity in terms of housing, communities, economy and people, but Chicago is just over the border.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info. The owner is pushing for Chesterton bc he feels like it is the best value. I have never heard of Oorte but am going to check it out.

Things I've read about Valparaiso is that it's a tad snooty...I loved Iowa City when I was in college there so I was drawn to a college town for many reasons. I have had a hard time finding favorable "reviews" but it's worth a second look if infact people are recommending it here.

Thanks again.

And now I see Oorte was infact Porter...

Old 03-03-2015, 02:43 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,194,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfb View Post
Thanks for the info. The owner is pushing for Chesterton bc he feels like it is the best value. I have never heard of Oorte but am going to check it out.

Things I've read about Valparaiso is that it's a tad snooty...I loved the Iowa City when I was in college there so I was drawn to a college town for many reasons. I have had a hard time finding favorable "reviews" but it's worth a second look if infact people are recommending it here.

Thanks again.
I agree with Midwest re: Chesterton. Great little town.

There is some snootiness in Valpo, but it's not to a huge degree. It's nothing like the snootiness one would find in some of the northern or western suburbs of Chicago. To me this is a small negative outweighed by a lot of positives about Valpo - fantastic downtown, good shopping, dining, schools, etc.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 PM

Hmmm...I'll have to give Chesterton a second thought...my fil (the owner) has wanted this for years and really likes Chesterton. Looks close to South Haven which would be fun for me!
Thanks so much Midwest and Bluefox!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I agree with Midwest re: Chesterton. Great little town.

There is some snootiness in Valpo, but it's not to a huge degree. It's nothing like the snootiness one would find in some of the northern or western suburbs of Chicago. To me this is a small negative outweighed by a lot of positives about Valpo - fantastic downtown, good shopping, dining, schools, etc.

as a native of the North Shore, I'd agree that any snootiness found in the Region, be it Valpo, the Dunes communities, Munster etc. is very very mild compared to most northern and western suburbs. there is a strong blue collar (often well-paid at that) legacy in the area that keeps people much more down to Earth. Even. If you are a successful layer, doctor etc...if your father or grandfather worked in the mills, you are much less likely to lord over others. That in fact is my favorite thing about the reef ion...people can actually befriend and interact comfortably with people from different walks of life in the Region more comfortably than in the more homogenous Illinois burbs which seem much more segregated by income/profession.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:01 PM

Reef ion was ipad for Region.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:01 PM

17,313 posts, read 14,591,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfb View Post
New to this forum-have been reading lots of posts but decided to take the plunge and ask some specifics. My apologies if these have been asked...I did try to read up!

We are considering moving from the North suburbs of Chicago to NWI due to business (family business) being less expensive (to run here vs. Chicago) and also housing/taxes being less expensive. Hubby and I have 3 kids, a dog and both grew up in the suburbs. We like the idea of a quieter (but not too quiet) lifestyle and it seems like NWI could fit the bill. Top of our list is good schools, safety and nice family friendly area with opportunities for good sports programs as one of our kids is very athletic.

The thought of a nice downtown area is appealing, sort of a city center...and I like cool book stores or coffee shops that aren't always a Starbucks! Nice local family owned shops are great too as I prefer to shop that way if possible.

I'd love local farmers markets and an area to be a part of a dairy co-op or share.

Is all of this too much to ask?

I'm a little put off by the snow totals I always see but hey, I guess I've been mostly living it too (just always seems a little worse in NWI).

Commute to Chicago isn't a huge factor but we will likely go back for visits with friends and family.

All of this leads me to think Crown Point (from what I've read) but am I missing something? Haven't visited yet but one of the business owners is visiting this weekend to start looking around the Chesterton area.

All feedback appreciated.

One thought after reading still more posts-lots of people say that Munster is top rated for schools. I definitely want great schools but personally we are involved parents and try to stay on top of our kids to keep them responsible for their work. We are in a school right now that has a terrible rating bc of test scores (ESL kids are tested in English and the school wonders why the scores are low?!) but we are happy with the teachers and with our children's progress. So, if anyone has personal experience rather than test scores only that would be helpful.
Valpo for certain.

I have no idea where the "snootiest" vibe comes from ... I've lived here over a decade (originally from Chgo) and I have never experienced a Valpo Snob.

Good schools, best downtown in NWI, farmer's market, live theatres, non-chain restaurants ... honestly, Crown Point's downtown doesn't hold a candle to Valpo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
If you are a successful layer, doctor etc...
Brick or prostitute?

Old 03-04-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
as a native of the North Shore, I'd agree that any snootiness found in the Region, be it Valpo, the Dunes communities, Munster etc. is very very mild compared to most northern and western suburbs. there is a strong blue collar (often well-paid at that) legacy in the area that keeps people much more down to Earth. Even. If you are a successful layer, doctor etc...if your father or grandfather worked in the mills, you are much less likely to lord over others. That in fact is my favorite thing about the reef ion...people can actually befriend and interact comfortably with people from different walks of life in the Region more comfortably than in the more homogenous Illinois burbs which seem much more segregated by income/profession.
This is what my husband and I are looking for to be honest....we'd love to meld with people from all walks of life while raising our kids in a great community. I guess snootiness is everywhere....certainly where I live now could be considered snooty. My husband was raised on the north shore and does not want that feel. I'm looking forward to checking out some of these towns in the next few weeks if this Saturday's visit from my FIL proves that we should move forward in our search.

Appreciate the info!

Old 03-04-2015, 08:22 AM

51 posts, read 69,387 times
I think you should definitely still consider Crown Point as well--come visit and see what you think! The square is great, gets quite a bit of foot traffic, and I'm pretty sure there are a couple of store fronts available right now. What kind of a business is it? I feel like the square is pretty set as far as bars, antique shops, and coffee shops go, but could probably benefit from some other types of family businesses coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana