Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 PM

83 posts, read 397,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Sorry! But I would NEVER let my wife park in Gary and wait for a train. At one one of the South Shore stations to the east maybe. But not Gary! Just my opinion.
One more parking spot for someone else......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 02:03 PM

863 posts, read 2,785,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue1906 View Post
One more parking spot for someone else......
LOL!! Absolutely.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,744,068 times
Property taxes are MUCH cheaper in Indiana. I'd look there.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 AM

10 posts, read 60,934 times
It would be a great idea to live in NW Indiana in either Munster, St. John, Dyer, or Schererville. All of those are a 10-15 minute drive to Merrillville. The commute to Chicago is about 40 minutes from St John and Dyer, and about 30 minutes from Munster. Living in Indiana is MUCH cheaper, and so is the cost of living.

If you stay in Illinois, I highly recommend Tinley Park. It's affordable, on the Metra Line (30 minute train ride) near major interstates (!-55, I-57, I-80, I-294). A drive to Merrillville from Tinley Park is 30 minutes and a drive to Chicago is also 30 minutes. Both are easy drives now that the construction on the Dan Ryan and Borman Expressway in NW Indiana are complete. Orland Park is nice too, but a little pricey. Mokena and Frankfort are nice too and developing quickly. Home appreciation is good out there. Also, Frankfort and Mokena are Will County, which has a bit lower taxes (but still not as low as NW Indiana). Good luck!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:01 AM

162 posts, read 803,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBLS View Post
Also, Frankfort and Mokena are Will County, which has a bit lower taxes (but still not as low as NW Indiana). Good luck!
Will County has much, much, much higher property taxes than Cook County - I am moving from Chicago (downtown) to Frankfort, house price is staying the same and my property taxes are going from $7,000 to $15,000.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Tinley is still in Cook County isn't it? I always thought that in the Chicago area, Cook taxes were lower. I know that was certainly true when we lived in Grayslake, in Lake County, IL.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 41,219 times
Thanks for the responses. We know NOTHING about the area, so any recommendations help a lot!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 AM

33 posts, read 125,218 times
I just thought I'd add my opinions here. We are going to be closing on a house in St. John in a couple of weeks. I'm working in Alsip IL, and was originally looking at houses in the SW suburbs. A co-worker who lives in Schererville suggested looking around there. After looking at a few houses I never bothered going back to IL to look. For the same prices (for us, $250-260k) you can get a good deal more house in IN. And yes the taxes are lower, but they've just been re-evaluated this year. They're not as low as they once were, but still generally less than IL.

In my situation, the commute will be around 45 minutes. A good trade-off for the bigger house and lot that we will get.

In what they call the tri-town area - Dyer, Schererville, and St. John - the schools look to be pretty good. I've talked to a few people who have kids in schools there and they all are very happy. Currently there are four elementary schools, three middle schools, and one high school. Lake Central HS will be somewhat crowded. They estimate an incoming freshman class of 900 for next school year. I believe they're talking about building a second one.

The area is very nice. Much less crowded than alot of places in IL. I'm sure these towns will get built-up eventually and get more congested, but for now they are not very bad.

So St. John is where we will end up after looking in many places in IL. We looked in Frankfort, Tinley Park, Orland, Mokena, etc. They're all nice towns, and for the most part the houses were very nice. Just smaller than what we wanted. Our house in PA is about 2,400 sq ft. We couldn't find anything that big in the SW suburbs that was even close to that size for the kind of money we wanted to spend.

Anyways, I just thought I'd offer my opinions, having just gone through this process. YMMV.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:06 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
The tri-town area you refer to is nice. But, as you eluded, it WILL get worse (ie more expensive, more crowded, etc). Just look at 41 between Main and 30. They're building some sort of Lifestyle Mall, an Olive Garden, etc. It's gotten pretty bad already even though those projects are yet to be completed.
Traffic here is still reasonable compared to IL and other areas. Having been here for a while, though, it has gotten much worse and will continue to build. A similar phenomenon happened in those Will County and SW suburban areas you mentioned (Frankfort, etc) That area is already WAY too crowded and expensive. It will be a while before this area becomes that bad.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,910 times
If I were you, I'd live in Indiana. Not only are housing and taxes cheaper, but gas is usually a little cheaper as well. A couple weeks ago, Chicago burbs were around $3.05 a gallon while NWI (Highland/HMD area) had gas at about $2.80.

Why not choose Highland or Munster? They are both great towns and close to Merrillville and Chicago. If you need the city life, Chicago is only about a 30-45 minute drive to downtown. Merrillville should take about 10-20 minutes. So the commute won't be bad.

I'd rather live in Indiana and save a couple bucks than Illinois, but that's just me. Good luck with your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana